What can we do to help?

It isn’t trivial, and it exists. :) On the branch, click on the “See more options” button in the lower right-hand corner. The third option (“Ordering”) should do what you want.

Ah splendid. thanks Katastrophe.

Something I can’t wait to see implemented is social actions. I’m hoping to make this a key part of my game. Also nex-locked storylines, because who doesn’t like money?

I have a very basic / simple request. When you are editing a field for the first time and there are “…” in the field, can you select all of the text in that field when you click into it? Otherwise you have to click into it, select, delete, then start typing.

Here’s an example of what I mean: http://jsfiddle.net/6kR2v/

1. Like many others I’m just getting started and trying to get to grips with the platform. This involves a lot of playing around with different things but I can’t then delete these things to tidy up. I understand you don’t want people deleting Storylets but what about Qualities? I think the ability to delete things like this (even Worlds) can be useful in the early stages of beta testing.

2. Is it possible to have a ‘Save All’ feature. I tend to make multiple changes to multiple branches and then scrolling back to click on ‘Save’ on each thing that’s changed is very annoying.

3. An easier way of resetting the game to a default state would be great for playtesting. Having to reset each Quality individually to get back to the starting point can be very annoying.

PS: Thanks for providing a great platform!

Bard - In regards to point 3, you can create a testing storylet with a branch that has a ‘game_end_effect’. Game_end_effect deletes the current character, allowing a player or tester to create a new character in a new story from scratch.

To apply a game_end_effect, create a testing story (or add a new branch to an existing one; remember to refresh the window immediately if you do this) and under Default Result, expand SEE MORE OPTIONS. From ‘Exotic effect’ choose ‘game_end_effect’ from the drop down menu and click Save. Done.

For some odd reason I cannot fathom, I cannot seem to access any Qualities other than the first one I’ve made, “Short”. I can go find the others ont he Qualities page, but I cannot get them in the drop-down list in the storylet editor. Any ideas?

Omnust - My only thought is have you refreshed the Storylet editor since you created the new Quality?

I’m pretty new at this, but I’ve got some basic areas and decks functioning. I have recently finished writing a module book for another game engine (i.e. the world description, and a lot of “adventures” which approximate to storylets) so I have quite a lot of content to initially draw from. It’s very exciting!

In terms of bugs - I’ll hold fire for now, until I can untangle idiocy (mine) from actual bugs.

In terms of features:

1. I would really like to be able to dismiss cards, in the same way as for Fallen London. Is this on the pipeline? The alternative, I was thinking, might be some functionality that clears the hand - so I could for example pin a “run away” card which costs some currency and clears out the hand. Does this exist? (apologies if it does…)

Edited: Okay - I’ve seen Nigel’s post and discussion on why this is the way it is… and I can sort of understand it although I think it’s a limitation that pushes creators down a particular path. I think my workaround will have to be a particular pinned card (with requirements etc.) which changes setting, which is a bit of a pain but so be it!

1. It doesn’t seem to be possible to overlap affects on the same quality. For example I have a storylet where the player is being searched for contraband and where one of the results is that he gets fined. I’d like to be able to take 1000 “gold crowns” from inventory, or as much as he has if less than 1000. What I tried to do is to put on two affects:

a) Change amount by -1000 if level is >= 1000
b) Set amount to 0 if level is <= 999

But it looks like they can’t stack… I haven’t gotten around to testing yet, but perhaps the solution is to just remove 1000 crowns and hope the engine stops at 0 for inventory items!

1. The Travel map and the Bazaar in Fallen London are great. It’s obviously possible to recreate the essential functionality using storylets, but the smoothness of those two very important graphical interfaces are - I think - very powerful. Any chance that these might make it into the toolkit at some point? Alternatively, for stuff like this I might be willing to pay a bit of real money for someone at FBG to help me, once I have the rest of my world up and running…

Very exciting!

Ian K.
edited by KayMan on 10/9/2012

Both are on the roadmap, both are coming as soon as we can get them out.

That’s not a bad idea - I’ll put it in the new Suggestions thread.
edited by Goatdance on 10/9/2012

[quote=@The_Bard]1) Like many others I’m just getting started and trying to get to grips with the platform. This involves a lot of playing around with different things but I can’t then delete these things to tidy up. I understand you don’t want people deleting Storylets but what about Qualities? I think the ability to delete things like this (even Worlds) can be useful in the early stages of beta testing.

1. Is it possible to have a ‘Save All’ feature. I tend to make multiple changes to multiple branches and then scrolling back to click on ‘Save’ on each thing that’s changed is very annoying.

2. An easier way of resetting the game to a default state would be great for playtesting. Having to reset each Quality individually to get back to the starting point can be very annoying.

PS: Thanks for providing a great platform![/quote]

1. The reasons for not deleting qualities are much the same as for not deleting storylets. If you don’t need a quality any more, call it REUSE or RECYCLE or something and turn it into something useful the next time you need a new quality.

2. Not a bad idea - I’ll put it in the suggestion thread.

3. Have a storylet with a game_end_effect on a branch, and lock it away with the Key of Dreams. That way, you can reset a character whenever you need to.

[quote=KayMan]2. It doesn’t seem to be possible to overlap affects on the same quality. For example I have a storylet where the player is being searched for contraband and where one of the results is that he gets fined. I’d like to be able to take 1000 “gold crowns” from inventory, or as much as he has if less than 1000. What I tried to do is to put on two affects:

a) Change amount by -1000 if level is >= 1000
b) Set amount to 0 if level is <= 999

But it looks like they can’t stack… I haven’t gotten around to testing yet, but perhaps the solution is to just remove 1000 crowns and hope the engine stops at 0 for inventory items!

1. The Travel map and the Bazaar in Fallen London are great. It’s obviously possible to recreate the essential functionality using storylets, but the smoothness of those two very important graphical interfaces are - I think - very powerful. Any chance that these might make it into the toolkit at some point? Alternatively, for stuff like this I might be willing to pay a bit of real money for someone at FBG to help me, once I have the rest of my world up and running…

Very exciting!

Ian K.
[/quote]

1. What you want is ‘change by -1000’. No quality can ever go into negative numbers. Anything less than zero becomes zero.

2. A travel map is a very fiddly thing to do. It’s possible that we’ll do this at some stage, but it’s not on the roadmap right now.

This thread overlaps a lot with the suggestions thread. And bugs should go to support@storynexus.com rather than the forums.

So I’m going to close this thread. Thanks for all your contributions, folks. They are very much appreciated.