What are the odds, how much need I have?

I’m looking to get all 3 accommodation upgrades to 5 card homes, from the 4 card ones I already have.

Now I looked at the normal way and I have to have picked a specialization, not just have the 200 stat, so that’s out, I won’t be doing that, not until the ability to change specialization goes in, or paramount presence is unlocked.

Can I still get the wicket to get them to 5?

Assuming I don’t need to have specialized for the underhand method, I’ve got a little snow, I’ll get more, I’ve got tears, I can sniff them, I’m level 10 corespondance.

So, think I can make it?

You’re asking how can you achieve the 5 card lodging in the Neathmas event and how many pails do you need?
Lets see:

1. Start with 2 pails (you should have 2-3 by now). Convert only one using monocle. You have now 3 ToL. Do not do anything.
  2. Wait for additional 1 ToL (maybe one from the advent, definitely from Mr. Sacks at the 12 days of Sacks). You now have 4 ToL.
  3. Immediately convert another pail using monocle. = 7 ToL.
  4. Mr. sacks gives another 4-5 ToL. That’s 12 ToL. But the 5. lodging Bazaar = left with 3 ToL.
  5. Convert another Pail using Monocle = 6 ToL
  6. Reduce 1 ToL at the wicket for a small prize (don’t remember the option’s name - try the wiki) = 5 ToL
  7. Convert another Pail with monocle = 8 ToL and another 5 lodging.
    So that’s a total of 4 pails for 2 lodgings.
    Another conversion of 2 or 3 pails will raise you again to 7 ToL for the last lodging. It depends whether you are left with 0 ToL or 1 ToL. Can’t quite calculate it without additional information: Will we get 1 ToL from advent this year? Will you buy the fur robe and get 1 ToL instead of 1 Pail? Will you become a doctor to get additional 1 ToL from Mr. Sacks?
    But the first steps I wrote guides you to have two 5 card lodgings (the expansive two - will you choose the one which cost 7 ToL and not the 9 ToL?) for 4 pails.
    6-7 pails for all three of them
    edited by Gonen on 12/19/2015

[quote=Gonen]

1. Start with 2 pails (you should have 2-3 by now). Convert only one using monocle. You have now 3 ToL. Do not do anything.
  2. Wait for additional 1 ToL (maybe one from the advent, definitely from Mr. Sacks at the 12 days of Sacks). You now have 4 ToL.
  3. Immediately convert another pail using monocle. = 7 ToL.
    edited by Gonen on 12/19/2015[/quote]

Why wait? 3+1+3 = 3+3+1 Any ToL from advent isn’t likely to be capped is it?

I’ve seen the advice to wait in other threads, but never the reason why, so I’m not sure what I missed.

Ask and you shall receive. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/38664adreamofasunderedsea

We really should ask more on the forums. There seems to be a recurring theme of asking and then getting goodies from the advent calendar!

Robin, you’ll have no trouble reaching nine. Use today’s advent calendar to take you to 7, then use the Mr Sacks cards to reach 9 (and higher!). You can see which options on the cards give taste either on the Christmas guide posted here on the forums or by looking at the wiki entries for each card. Do note you can’t use pails to raise your current level further without a dread surmise, which I wouldn’t advise doing anyway as you risk wasting your pail.

[quote=MrBurnside]

I’ve seen the advice to wait in other threads, but never the reason why, so I’m not sure what I missed.[/quote]

You are right. You could do that. Only be advised: If you reach 6, you can not pass it with monocle any more. Only if you have 4 or 5 (it’ll jump you up to 7 or 8. But on 6 it will not jump you and you are dependent on ToL from Sacks. Or from Dreadful Surmise - but that’s only 1 per pail and not 3 per pail like the monocle, so it’s not the best way to raise you ToL unless you have to reach the high numbers.

Did I read correctly you achieved 6 ToL WITH today’s advent? You won’t be able to jump to 9 with the monocle, watch out… It’ll waste your Pail
edited by Gonen on 12/19/2015

[quote=navchaa]Ask and you shall receive. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/38664adreamofasunderedsea

We really should ask more on the forums. There seems to be a recurring theme of asking and then getting goodies from the advent calendar!

In an unrelated matter, where did I read that it is common lore to have been visited by a Heptagoat carrying a flask of cider at the eve of Christmas?
Will we get 1 Heptagoat and 1 Cider from advent this year?

So if I currently have no four card lodging which one if any should I try and get in the next few days. I honestly will have to start grinding from pretty much zero for any of the three. I’m a CVR rather than a spirifer. Is it possible for me to get one of these lodgings in the timeframe needed? Or just pick up all the remotes and whatever other toys I can find?

You’ll have until the end of January to cash in your lacre at the Wicket, so you should have plenty of time to get a 4-card or two to upgrade. The brass sanctum upgrade is probably the least onerous to get outside of Sackmas, so you might want to prioritise the Bazaar and/or the Royal Beth, but obviously it depends on which you want most.

[quote=Gonen][quote=navchaa]Ask and you shall receive. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/38664adreamofasunderedsea

In an unrelated matter, where did I read that it is common lore to have been visited by a Heptagoat carrying a flask of cider at the eve of Christmas?
Will we get 1 Heptagoat and 1 Cider from advent this year?[/quote]
No, there’s a quality called aquaintance: the heptagoat, which is only availible now. There’s no other way to get this quality, but i believe it serves little purpose- perhaps it’ll add… something… for nitebrite, who already owns one, but there’s no free heptagoat, if that’s what you meant. that would be silly

[quote=Gonen][quote=MrBurnside]

I’ve seen the advice to wait in other threads, but never the reason why, so I’m not sure what I missed.[/quote]

You are right. You could do that. Only be advised: If you reach 6, you can not pass it with monocle any more. Only if you have 4 or 5 (it’ll jump you up to 7 or 8. But on 6 it will not jump you and you are dependent on ToL from Sacks. Or from Dreadful Surmise - but that’s only 1 per pail and not 3 per pail like the monocle, so it’s not the best way to raise you ToL unless you have to reach the high numbers.

Did I read correctly you achieved 6 ToL WITH today’s advent? You won’t be able to jump to 9 with the monocle, watch out… It’ll waste your Pail
edited by Gonen on 12/19/2015[/quote]
Isn’t it equally inneffective to use 1-ToL actions to get from 3 to 5? I mean, yeah, there’s the wicket gimmick, but nothing else is worthwhile that way, right?

[quote=Grenem][quote=Gonen][quote=navchaa]Ask and you shall receive. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/a/38664adreamofasunderedsea

Will we get 1 Heptagoat and 1 Cider from advent this year?[/quote]
No, there’s a quality called aquaintance: the heptagoat, which is only availible now. There’s no other way to get this quality, but i believe it serves little purpose- perhaps it’ll add… something… for nitebrite, who already owns one, but there’s no free heptagoat, if that’s what you meant. that would be silly[/quote]

Yes, of course :)
A joke. Since that was the second time someone proposed a gift and it was given that day.
Though NOW it will not happen for sure. Thanks, Grenem. Now we have to grind 7 Ubergoats.
:p

[quote=Grenem]
Isn’t it equally inneffective to use 1-ToL actions to get from 3 to 5? I mean, yeah, there’s the wicket gimmick, but nothing else is worthwhile that way, right?[/quote]

Sorry, did not understand. What action gets you from 3 to 5?
The monocle gives 3 ToL for 1 Pail. Surmise only gives 1 ToL for 1 Pail but have no cap (or rather, 15 ToL cap).
So if you have 6 ToL, better use the &quotwicket gimmick&quot and get something nice for yourself, lower ToL to 5 and use monocle to raise ToL to 8.
So you use 1 Pail and gain someting from the wicket (for 1 ToL) and achieve 8 ToL.
The alternative, when having 6 ToL is using Surmise, getting to 7 ToL and losing 1 Pail.
A less profitable action on all accounts.
Hope I explained myself clearly. Language barrier on my side =)

[quote=Gonen][quote=Grenem]
Isn’t it equally inneffective to use 1-ToL actions to get from 3 to 5? I mean, yeah, there’s the wicket gimmick, but nothing else is worthwhile that way, right?[/quote]

Sorry, did not understand. What action gets you from 3 to 5?
The monocle gives 3 ToL for 1 Pail. Surmise only gives 1 ToL for 1 Pail but have no cap (or rather, 15 ToL cap).
So if you have 6 ToL, better use the &quotwicket gimmick&quot and get something nice for yourself, lower ToL to 5 and use monocle to raise ToL to 8.
So you use 1 Pail and gain someting from the wicket (for 1 ToL) and achieve 8 ToL.
The alternative, when having 6 ToL is using Surmise, getting to 7 ToL and losing 1 Pail.
A less profitable action on all accounts.
Hope I explained myself clearly. Language barrier on my side =)[/quote]
A lot of the old guides reccomended using dip a soul in it for 1 ToL to reach 3 to 5, and two monocles to reach 8. OFC, it’s not very effective, but that’s why I was asking- also, why not use the monocles immidately otherwise?

[quote=Grenem]
A lot of the old guides reccomended using dip a soul in it for 1 ToL to reach 3 to 5, and two monocles to reach 8. OFC, it’s not very effective, but that’s why I was asking- also, why not use the monocles immidately otherwise?[/quote]

Ah, Understood. No, not effective at all. Raising 3 to 5 and then to 8 consumes 3 Pails (Soul, Soul, Monocle). Raising from 3 to 6 and lowering 1 at the wicket and then raising to 8 uses only 2 pails (Monocle, Monocle) and gains a small prize.
Of course, one needs a monocle and a proper SoTC.

Recommending using souls twice was based on trying to maximize Taste before the Wicket opened.

Yes. But as explained, not a good &quoteconomic&quot use of your Pails - if you have the monocle and sufficient SoTC

Not an economical use of pails, no, but it means you get much greater value out of Mr Sacks, and depending on your resources it may be the only way to reach the taste you need for a spire emporium or late stage noman. Relatively speaking pails are cheap, whereas you only get one shot at raising your taste with the Sacks cards. It’s only really an issue if you’re after a late noman or lack the items to get +3 from Sacks.
edited by Màiread on 12/19/2015

As a complication, as a leftover from last year I already/still have

Putting the Pieces Together: the Taste of Lacre 2 - Lacre can poison, intoxicate or even transform…

Actually, with today’s freebie

This dream is over. Perhaps something remained. [This has raised your Putting the Pieces Together: the Taste of Lacre quality. You’ll be able to trade it for rewards in January.]
Why does the lacre accumulate at Christmas?

That makes it 3, and that means &quotdo nothing&quot.

Hrm…

I sold my soul and traded the spoils to the urchans so I could qualify for the devil’s deal…

So I better do that one first, eh?

I’d also like to get a cagnister venom, so I’ll likely be doing THAT path in the 12 days.

Still, if the lower 2 can be reached almost trivially with just being smart, I should be able to HUFF the tears and fill in the edges, right?

Now, that’s a very nice, and long guide, but it misses something.

You need to be not just POSI, but specialized in one of the 4 ways, or else you can’t buy the sanctum with the adress of the one time prince of hell.
As I don’t have the specialization, I HAVE to do it by the back door?
edited by ICountFrom0 on 12/19/2015

Might I offer a bit of a correction regarding the Intimate Devils? When you sell your soul to them, the quality goes up to 20 and will never fall. If you sell it to another devil, however, they’ll send you an opportunity card expressing their disapproval and that will reset the quality back to zero.