Weekly Questions, Beginning 5/12/2016

I have questions. Where can I ask them? In fact, I’m already asking them here (aren’t I?) - and you should too!

More of a dilemma than a question: I’m missing 83 CP of MW to reach Notability 10, TtH visits me tomorrow, but I need 8 more symphonies to reach SotC 10.
Now, thing is I don’t need Notability 10, but I got my Tears ready for Vial of M_____s’ B___d which will consume 7 points, but I’ll need some Notability to upgrade my Bazaar Premises which will consume 3 more Notability. I got to this MW only from cards and my usual grinds and only today did the Christmas Cards started to refill and I don’t know if any of my acquaintances were visited by TtH.

So, what would most of you do? Use more AP just to be on a safe side in case the wine cards pops right when I want to upgrade my lodgings or go back to SotC grind?

Go back to SoTC grind, since the earlier levels of notability are easier to gain you can bounce right back up. And since the gifting of notability just got added back in, you don’t even need to worry about running out.

It’s back? :D
Frigging great in this case! Let’s wait for my Ap to fill, pop some cards and move to some writing! :D

I have just achieved PoSI! …and a certain ennui has descended. I’ve worked so long for this goal, I don’t know what to do with myself now. The opportunities that have opened up all seem to be edging me toward respectability (SPOILERS: why would I care to be a diplomat? I’m a bohemian rogue. For that matter, why should I marry?)

What I most want is to delve deeper into stories about the Clay Men and the Rubbery Men. Where can I do this?

Any thoughts on early-PoSI experiences and advice would be must graciously appreciated!
-M.

Marriage doesn’t really have many benefits if it disagrees with your character, and I never found being a diplomat that rewarding. (I mean, you can manipulate it so it is very rewarding, but its a pain)

I don’t think there’s many PoSI stories for claymen. If you can get your watchful and dangerous to 130 at the same time you can get the jack of smiles case, which has some on them. Polythreme also has a story independent of that case. Beyond that, I can’t think of anything.

Rubberymen only have the fate locked flute street. But that will tell you almost everything you’d want to know.

The thing I most enjoyed after POSI was going to sea. I adore both the sailing itself and the various islands. It’s worth being kicked out of the University to gain access to the Sea of Voices and the various places it offers, and also the Iron Republic, weird as it is. I’ve recently opened up the Nadir, and again, there is much to explore, especially since time down there is always limited.
If Rubberies are your thing, then Flute Street is indeed the place to head for. Again, you need to have completed the University before you can gain access (= be unwelcome). And then there is always the breeding of beasts in the Labyrinth. Tigers, incidentally, also feature prominently during the posting as governor.

So, getting kicked out of the university is permanent? I thought I read somewhere that you could re-enter.

You can get back into the university’s good graces to regain some of the storylets, but the &quotTerm Passing…&quot carousels you had while you were a Guest Lecturer are forever lost.

I’d like to upgrade my Bazaar residence this Sacksmas if I can, but the guides I’ve seen require SotC 6 (preferably 10 for safety) to get to ToL 9. With Watchful 126 (159 with gear), is there any chance I’ll be able to get from SotC 2 to SotC 10 before Sacksmas, given the following conditions?

[ul][li]I’ve been kicked out of the court;[/li][li]I’ve been kicked out of (and readmitted to) the university (so no Term Passing… for me);[/li][li]I’ve gained access to Flute Street (and therefore finished the related storylet); and[/li][li]I’ve used Empyrean Redolence with (all?) five possible candidates (but I don’t have an owl yet).[/li][/ul]From the wiki, it looks like the Forgotten Quarter would get me to SotC 7 but getting farther (at the university, the only option I can see) would require Watchful 170+ and a boatload of €2.50 items, so I’m not terribly optimistic. Am I out of luck for this Sacksmas? Should I just start grinding for Storm-Threnodies and Night-Whispers now, and hope I get lucky with Urchin cards? Or is there another known route to ToL 9 that doesn’t require SotC?

One of the beasties from Emp. Red. is very helpful with Scholar…

Oh, cool, thanks! I suspect I can guess which one…

[quote=Gallmarch]I’d like to upgrade my Bazaar residence this Sacksmas if I can, but the guides I’ve seen require SotC 6 (preferably 10 for safety) to get to ToL 9. With Watchful 126 (159 with gear), is there any chance I’ll be able to get from SotC 2 to SotC 10 before Sacksmas, given the following conditions?

• I’ve been kicked out of the court;[/li][li]I’ve been kicked out of (and readmitted to) the university (so no Term Passing… for me);[/li][li]I’ve gained access to Flute Street (and therefore finished the related storylet); and[/li][li]I’ve used Empyrean Redolence with (all?) five possible candidates (but I don’t have an owl yet).

Well, chances of you getting to 10 SotC are extremely low, you can get really lucky with the cards and the (already mentioned)pet but you can only hope.

But…you don’t really need 10 SotC to do this, it’s just reccomended, for example, with 7 SoTC you should have around 70% to 80% chance to succeed and get 3 ToL, remember, you will get alot of ToL from the 12 days and that should be enough to get you your lodging.

And yes, just do the forgotten quarter option to get to 7, it’s pretty quick and easy to do.

Thanks, everyone! Maybe I will go to sea, after all, but I’ll do my best to avoid marriage. ALAS, I have another problem now!

I’ve been Approaching the Gates of the Garden and finally reached 15. I chose to ask His Amused Lordship to show me where to find the Dilmun Club, and now I’ve lost all my AtGotG quality, so I can’t ask him to sponsor me for membership. Do I need to patiently wait for more opportunity cards to grind another AtGotG 15? I can’t even access the early ones anymore as a PoSI. Is there some other way to continue?

There are other sponsors, I believe. I remember using the detective to get in…not that I am a member of an alleged Dilmun Club

I think if someone sent you cider sips it would increase as well (probably will if you promise them something in return)

I’m sure last year that the Tears of the Bazaar only increased Notability up to 8 or 9- this year the card from the Mayor got me up to Notability 11. Does anyone know how far it goes?

Where is the option to gift Notability? (I’m looking at Slowcake’s Amanuensis, Give a Gift and an Unsigned Message and it’s not on any of those cards, and it doesn’t seem to be under any of the options in my lodgings either unless I’m missing something.)

It seems like it was only temporarily available :( So my comment is wrong.

So, for the 4 ambitions it says &quotYou Unlocked this by not having [Another Ambition].&quot Obviously, this shows you can only have 1 Ambition at a time. However, in reading on the wiki, I’ve found that the Ambition Quality never leaves you, and simply levels to the maximum, such as 200 in Hearts Desire. Does this mean you’re unable to start any of the other Ambitions?