Weekly Questions, Beginning 31/10/2016

Why would I want to invest my Favours: Criminals into Renown, instead of using them in the Implausible Penance? As far as I’ve seen, Renown only leads to a Merry sort of a crime, which is pretty useless in itself, and takes a lot of investment to achieve. What am I missing?

A merry sort of crime actually has very good epa. But this was the first one to switch over, they were seeing what they would have to add to convince people to use renown. (They found a good reason with rubbery, and will probably go back to add conpanions and items for criminal renown)

What convinced me to start collecting rubbery renown is finding the pulsating amber on a rare success in Forgotten Quarter. And it started attracting rubberies, so I had to deal with it. Other faction items I would have to buy, and that kinda feels… less organic? I buy equipment at the bazaar, but that’s metagame. I keep thinking I should buy the tankard, but it would so much more fun if it was, say, a rare success on drinking somewhere.

I agree, my biggest annoyance at the Renown system is the lack of discoverability that results from needing one particular item that is only sold from the Bazaar.

In a perfect world, I would imagine some of the items come from rare successes, some are awarded by compulsory storylines (e.g. Slowcake’s Exceptionals coming from Name Signed with a Flourish), and some at least having signposts to tell you to look in the Bazaar for something you need.

A do have to say that A Merry Sort of Crime is very nice as it serves both as a nice Magnanimous grind and the best Honey Grind. Much better than gathering the Hollow Eyed Hedonist.

I do agree that it would be nice if there were more chances to gather Renown items than the Bazaar. Like if the Cheery Man gave you a Skeleton Key or etc.