Weekly Questions, Beginning 31/10/2016

No. But think of all the cards you’ll never see again![/quote]

What do you mean? Does it subtract cards? (That would be AWESOME!)[/quote]
I think Jermaine was referring to the fact that it’s a Remote Address (much like the strange lodgings you can get from Sacksmas) and therefore you won’t be bothered by any City Vices cards while it’s your lodging.

Quite so.

No. But think of all the cards you’ll never see again![/quote]

What do you mean? Does it subtract cards? (That would be AWESOME!)[/quote]
I think Jermaine was referring to the fact that it’s a Remote Address (much like the strange lodgings you can get from Sacksmas) and therefore you won’t be bothered by any City Vices cards while it’s your lodging.[/quote]

Ahh, yes. Well, I’ve got those. Just wanted the Marsh for the collection.
Glad to hear it doesn’t add any cards.
Thank you both!

This may be an obvious question, but to get the bonus reward for completing all EF stories of a season, do they have to be completed by the end of the season? (so 27th for this season) I have all three unlocked, but have been putting them off as I was grinding for a 4 card lodging, and then didn’t want to be at sea and miss out on Hallowmas. Do I need to complete them sharpish, do I need to complete them in order and how feasible will it be to complete all three if I wait till the 7th? Thank you.

Bonus rewards just need for you to have completed all three parts of a Season. This can be done at any time or in any order.

As, if you want, you can go back and pay Fate for previous stories in a Season you will get the bonus if you play all three at anytime. I don’t think Failbetter would want players who come to the game in the future to miss out on something that current subscribers can get.

Thank you. I had kind of assumed as much (hence the waiting) but the wording on the ‘Complete Season of Wrecks with Fate’ announcement had me a little confused and worried, cheers for clearing it up.

I haven’t really found anything on this: What is the general stance on Dante’s Grill? I would love to grind some more Making Waves as Hallowmas is slowly drawing to a close, but I don’t know if any non-POSI would be fine with being leeched of their MW. I know it helps them with Wounds and Suspicion, but it helps the POSI (as in, me) so much more. Is it a big no-no to make a thread asking for willing participants?

When I was rather new, I was visiting Dante’s with a POSI player. I didn’t have much in the way of Wounds or Suspicion, but MW is absolutely useless at that point, actions are cheap, evenings weren’t in much demand either - so I felt it was an ok deal. Now that I look at it, it doesn’t look all that great for POSI actually. I know I never accumulated more than about 10 levels MW in a week - and 10cp for 10 echo and free evening isn’t much of a deal. You get as much from a supper, without the extra cash and moral struggles. :) Maybe other newer players get more MW than I did though?

A snippet of information here: depending on the mechanics, it isn’t even necessary to complete the story. I had this happen to me recently with Art of Murder – I had only just started the tale, but already received the item that was part of what called up the bonus. So the bonus storylet appeared and I even played it before continuing with AoM. (Other mechanics are available…)

I had two events in my early Nethean life relating to this. One, whose name I have not forgotten, simply sent an invitation to Dante’s without giving any information. Having experienced only positive interactions at that stage, I naively accepted and was &quotsucked dry&quot. The player was never in touch again. Whether MW is useful at that point in the game or not is somewhat beside the point. I felt my character had been thoroughly exploited. The second time, the other player explained the circumstances and asked if I was willing, I agreed, and it was all hunly-dory.
If I ever wanted to use Dante’s myself, I’d go down the second route.

Hello gentles all!

I’m a hedonist and scholar at heart, but I’ve decided I want to aim for PoSI. So I’m dutifully grinding away at Dangerous and it’s boring me to tears. Duel after duel, monster after monster. Not a hint of mystery. I’ve currently got my dangerous stats at 61 + 26 in gear, so I’m looking at 12 whole points I need to gain.

What’s the fastest, or most fun way to do this? I don’t have a wide social acquaintance and prefer game play to social actions. Should I just go on other adventures that will gain me enough profit to buy 12 points worth of dangerous gear?

All advice will be treasured.

The fastest way is to use second chances at your lodgings - depending on how many you already have, you might need to find a partner for the dangerous social action to build up your stock. I’m grinding like mad until the event is over, but if you haven’t found anyone before that I’d be happy to help. It’s not the most fun, but since you only need 12 levels it might be better just to bite the bullet.

I’d advise saving your echoes until you can buy the best gear if you can stand the wait - you’ll want a lot of expensive stuff post-PoSI.

For Dangerous, try the Fighting Rings. It’s not terribly exciting, but it’s efficient and doesn’t need social actions. The first ring raises it up to 60, second to 70, third to 80 - but you can use reducing gear. With the rattus faber and a few more items you can get it comfortably to 100 with not too much grinding. There was a topic here somewhere describing it in detail, but I can’t find it at the moment. Important thing is to make sure your dangerous is not above the limit for the ring, or you only get a couple of cp.

Here’s the wiki page for it: http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/The_Fighting_Rings

Thanks to wiki I found out that certain storylets give out Fate, but even though I’ve passed a couple of them, I’ve never gained any. I assume the info is just outdated and the Fate is now for real money only, which is what I’ve assumed since I started playing, but I just wanna make sure that it’s not a bug, because, I mean, free Fate, who wouldn’t want that, right?

Is anyone else getting the &quotour apologies! Something terrible has happened&quot etc. error message? I’m getting it on one account, but not the other, oddly enough.

I believe that was recently turned off due to interactions with the mobile app or something. No idea if it’s coming back.
edited by aegisaglow on 11/4/2016

[quote=aegisaglow]Is anyone else getting the &quotour apologies! Something terrible has happened&quot etc. error message? I’m getting it on one account, but not the other, oddly enough.

I believe that was recently turned off due to interactions with the mobile app or something. No idea if it’s coming back.
edited by aegisaglow on 11/4/2016[/quote]

Yes, I am getting it constantly at the moment.

Hum, think it’s a dumb question, but how can one extend their ES from the mobile app?

So I’m at Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers 12, and The Hunt Is On 8. I can now set free any of three prisoners, but the wiki says that I shouldn’t do this because it will remove the ability to raise The Hunt Is On in the third coil and I won’t be able to to progress in the fate-locked conclusion to the storyline. I definitely want to do the fate-locked stuff. However, I can’t see any other way to raise my Making Progress in the Labyrinth of Tigers at this point. Is the wiki wrong? Can I just raise The Hunt Is On elsewhere if I need to?

There are other places that raise THiO. The third coil is only the best way to raise it (most profitable, combined with capturing goat demons or something like that). If you want to complete your neathymon collection, go ahead.

Not a dumb question, I suspect, since there also seems to be no way of updating the cc in the browser without deleting the whole thing and starting from scratch.