Weekly Questions, Beginning 31/10/2016

An extra-spooky weekly questions session, for Skeleton Week!

Thanks for the help. I think that &quotthe gift&quot is aimed at higher level players than me. (Wish they had have let me know that before I bought it! It only said you needed 50 in some skills I think from memory) Unfortunately none of the options will help me as I don’t have the shear numbers of raw materials (You need like 500 maniacs prayers) to make the items without access to more advanced areas (the university achievement or completing the tomb of the seven task- I’m trying but my nightmares end up sky high just trying to get the supplies to start some expeditions). I’ll just have to put the story on hold for however long it takes :(

Thanks for the help. I think that &quotthe gift&quot is aimed at higher level players than me. (Wish they had have let me know that before I bought it! It only said you needed 50 in some skills I think from memory) Unfortunately none of the options will help me as I don’t have the shear numbers of raw materials (You need like 500 maniacs prayers) to make the items without access to more advanced areas (the university achievement or completing the tomb of the seven task- I’m trying but my nightmares end up sky high just trying to get the supplies to start some expeditions). I’ll just have to put the story on hold for however long it takes :([/quote]
It indeed might be easier for higher level characters, but I don’t think that’s a necessity.

As I said, you just need 50 of any of the tier 3 items to side-convert to Correspondence Plaques. There are usually multiple paths to get those even for new characters (though it might take a few more actions).

For example, until the next season of Exceptional Stories rolls in, you can go to Breakwater House (you don’t need to be an Exceptional Friend), and some of the options there will give you a tier 3 item. Specifically, &quotReminisce with the Weathered Lifeberg-Hunter&quot will give you 1 x Memory of Distant Shores, and &quotSit with the Listless Physician&quot will give 1 x Mystery of the Elder Continent.

Just collect 50 and you’re good to go.

I highly recommend you do this as a low level character anyway (regardless of The Gift). Because with side-conversions you can use these to convert to other types of materials you might need later. This is a very accessible way to get such items without a skill check.

How do I gain access to the hunter’s keep? I need a stone tentacle key for my ambition:hearts desire.

A ship is required to travel to Hunter’s Keep (info in Wolfstack Docks). Not sure if special arrangements are made for ambition purposes.

Special arrangements are not made for it. That step ensures you’re far enough, being a PoSI with a ship, before progressing further

What are some challenges that improve dangerous significantly?

Have you done the Black Ribbon fight? And hunted beasts for the Labyrinth? Both in Wolfstack.

The fighting rings give a substantial amount of bonus CP if your dangerous with gear falls below 60/70/80- in ring order. this gives 20/25/30 cp per fight bonus, win or lose, although on loss you lose your input which is worth 1/2.5/7.5 echoes. A very good way to rush dangerous, if you need to rush for some reason. Talkative rattus faber, of course, makes this substantially more potent, as it will then be pre-fabber 85/95/105

When at zee, or at places accessed via the zee, if I check the “spend X for a second chance” but succeed normally, I don’t get “but you lose the X anyways”. Is that supposed to happen? Or is it global change I just haven’t noticed until now?

Dears, are there ways to increase BDR beyond 20 without Fate-locked items or a particular item from the SMEN storyline? I don’t see a way, but I might be missing something.

Weapon and Companion: +2 each (total 4)
All other wearable items: +1 each (total 8)
Affiliation and Club: +4 each (total 16)
Ship: +1 (total 17)
Transportation: +2 (total 19)

(I don’t, actually, know how I got to 20 - I guess there was some one-time +1 bonus when becoming a POSI).

If there’re no ways to go beyond that without Fate, can someone please vaguely suggest what Fate investment would be the most efficient in terms of BDR / point of Fate. Of course, as far as that isn’t against the rules.

Its actually a twice off storylette thats available in February, so you can get another point then. Also if you switch to the yacht, the ship can be +2. I believe becoming a midnighter will give you +1 home comfort as well.

Anyways, the best BDR fate locked items are probably the ratwork velocipede, from the fate locked part of the velocipede squad, and the rosary from the feast of the rose.

I’ve reached the point where the Training professions no longer advance me. I’ve tried to find out something about available professions you get from connection-related Opportunity cards, but couldn’t find much on the forum and the wiki seems incomplete. Is there somewhere to look I’ve missed? Are there even such threads that list all possibilities and its rewards/perks, not just for professions, but generally for events important for the game?
Question #2: It’s still a long time ahead but the question burns me… Once reached level 200 on my qualities, do I have to choose whether I become shattering force, legendary charisma and so on, or can I obtain these titles one by one.
edited by Lallinka on 11/1/2016

[quote=Lallinka]I’ve reached the point where the Training professions no longer advance me. I’ve tried to find out something about available professions you get from connection-related Opportunity cards, but couldn’t find much on the forum and the wiki seems incomplete. Is there somewhere to look I’ve missed? Are there even such threads that list all possibilities and its rewards/perks, not just for professions, but generally for events important for the game?
Question #2: It’s still a long time ahead but the question burns me… Once reached level 200 on my qualities, do I have to choose whether I become shattering force, legendary charisma and so on, or can I obtain these titles one by one.
edited by Lallinka on 11/1/2016[/quote]

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Profession_Payments#Tier_1:

After the starting profession the biggest use for professions is really just payments and the equipment, there are very rarely actions that require a specific profession and the few that are there usually don’t matter much, I would also reccomend just picking what you would like to do instead of picking the best one, oh, and this for the items http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Profession

to question 2:once you reach 200 in one of the four stats(not counting items, you need 200 base, for example 195 watchful with +5 from items won’t do it, just 200 without any items will) you can pick if you want to be one of those, you can only have one and currently, you can’t turn back from your choice.

Are there any downsides to weeping scars? I have a seeking alt who is slowly raising SMEN through the weekly marsh mired. He just reached SMEN 7 and drew “A dream of dark water.” Do I want the weeping scar now, or should I wait? Long term he’s going to destroy himself, but I don’t want to complicate his path to annihilation.

There literally isn’t a single downside to weeping scars(or memories of chain, another item you will have to get to progress, stains on your soul on the other hand prevent most normal ways to sell your soul, on the other hand, that may not be such a bad thing since it will get devils off of you).
edit:I would also like to mention that if you do find a way to sell your soul while it is stained, don’t do it, trust me.
edited by The Master on 11/1/2016

[quote=The Master][quote=Lallinka]I’ve reached the point where the Training professions no longer advance me. I’ve tried to find out something about available professions you get from connection-related Opportunity cards, but couldn’t find much on the forum and the wiki seems incomplete. Is there somewhere to look I’ve missed? Are there even such threads that list all possibilities and its rewards/perks, not just for professions, but generally for events important for the game?
edited by Lallinka on 11/1/2016[/quote]

http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Profession_Payments#Tier_1:

After the starting profession the biggest use for professions is really just payments and the equipment, there are very rarely actions that require a specific profession and the few that are there usually don’t matter much, I would also reccomend just picking what you would like to do instead of picking the best one, oh, and this for the items http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Profession

to question 2:once you reach 200 in one of the four stats(not counting items, you need 200 base, for example 195 watchful with +5 from items won’t do it, just 200 without any items will) you can pick if you want to be one of those, you can only have one and currently, you can’t turn back from your choice.[/quote]

Thank you very much for your answers :)

Several questions:

1. For starting screening map quest chain you need either respectable or dreaded. Outside companions what items(that are easily available to beginners increase respectable or dreaded? What quest chain to start to increase the dreaded or respectable stats of my character.
  2. What is a patron?
  3. What should I buy that I cannot easily get from the bazaar?

Another question where to go and what quest to start grinding notability?

[quote=Tofan Bogdan]Several questions:

1. For starting screening map quest chain you need either respectable or dreaded. Outside companions what items(that are easily available to beginners increase respectable or dreaded? What quest chain to start to increase the dreaded or respectable stats of my character.

2. What is a patron?

3. What should I buy that I cannot easily get from the bazaar?[/quote]

4. The only BDR item you are likely to get is the bejeweled cane by completing the lapidary quest. Even then you probably won’t do it in a week.

2 patrons can give up to 5 stat boosts for one stat a week, increasing other people up to level 100.

1. Right now you should only buy equipment for stats.

2. The Notability quest starts once all your stats are above 100.