Weekly Questions, Beginning 29/08/2016

You’ve (most likely) got questions, we’ve (hopefully) got answers! Ask 'em here!

I’d like to write symphonies, which means lots and lots of Inspired. I’d also like to grind Watchful.

Because the Neath is cruel and heartless (and annoyingly well-balanced) I have to do these separately, don’t I?

[quote=Teaspoon]I’d like to write symphonies, which means lots and lots of Inspired. I’d also like to grind Watchful.

Because the Neath is cruel and heartless (and annoyingly well-balanced) I have to do these separately, don’t I?[/quote]
Yep! Inspired is persuasive aligned, and watchful is not.

Just to make sure, TtH rounds MW up when halving, right? (E.g. MW 9 will become MW 5, not 4.)

What level of Green Companion should i reach to start attending the Tournaments and not be trounced every time? Currently at lvl12.

You’ll lose more than you win at any level besides 19, I think. [19 is the level cap.] However, there’s enough RNG involved that you could get lucky prior to that point.

also, sorry for the wait, but to answer your question- it rounded down for me this week- 15->7. I don’t know if that’s standard, though. it might be random, weighted, or round-to-odd, though the last one seems unlikely.

I’ve decided to cash in the remainder of my Nadir money on a hat, a really good hat that will aid my Seeking.

Do I get the Exceptional Hat that will be adequate for the purpose, or shall I spring for the more expensive BDR hats - and if so, a tub or a face?

If you lack hat BDR already and have yet to achieve Notability 12 then I’d say either the tub or face will be a good investment.

Let’s try this whole comment again: if you’re concerned with Notablity, which you may not be as a Seeker, the BDR is handy. Of the two, eh. The Gloam Foam is needed for Shadowy specialization. But there are very few High level Shadowy checks in the entire game (and if you’re doing BDR anyway you’ll want the Shadowy boots).

That said, if you don’t care for BDR but plan on playing up through Yuletide, you’ll want the Semonic Monocle any way for Lacre purposes.
edited by Parelle on 8/31/2016

Thinking of Gloam Foam. I had to get a tub of it to get my Shadowy specialization, so I have a tub. However I rarely, if ever, use it. Frankly, I just don’t use anything other than my cosmogone spectacles.

Is there any reason to hold onto the tub of gloam foam at this point? Should I just get rid of it and pocket the echoes?

Well, it is an +8 Watchful hat. Do you have anything else that good in that category?

What are the best easily-repeatable menace cures? Ideally storylet-based, “best” defined as highest reduction per action, or highest reduction plus profit per action relative to grinds (see below). I have most Fate-locked things so if any of those are good for menaces (except CVR, I’m a spirifer), that would be good to know.

I did the math already for Suspicion and the best I could find was Confounding the Constables from Opportunism in Spite with Airs up to 25. “A riskier option: hide in a rookery” is -4 CP Suspicion, but “A man with a past” is -3 CP and 0.44 E of items, making the latter better EPA-wise given grinds under 1.76 EPA.

With Airs at 90+, A Dreamless Sleep in your lodgings gives you -7 Wounds and -2 Nightmares for 3 actions. Also sets your Airs to 0, in case you need to confound some constables.

[quote=absimiliard] Frankly, I just don’t use anything other than my cosmogone spectacles.

Is there any reason to hold onto the tub of gloam foam at this point? Should I just get rid of it and pocket the echoes?[/quote]

Do you think you’ll ever try another profession? That could be one reason to hold on to your hat. Err. Tub. Foam. Whatever.

I have to admit it seems unlikely that I’ll allow my Abs to take up another profession. However, I suppose even that chance is enough to hang onto the “hat”.

After all, it’s not going to be worth anything less – or more – sitting in my inventory than sold for echoes. (in the end it’s likely to turn into goat-fodder anyway, I guess)

Thanks for the perspective Parelle.

[quote=Teaspoon]I’ve decided to cash in the remainder of my Nadir money on a hat, a really good hat that will aid my Seeking.

Do I get the Exceptional Hat that will be adequate for the purpose, or shall I spring for the more expensive BDR hats - and if so, a tub or a face?[/quote]

The Exceptional Hat can be exchanged for a different non-hat item in Polythreme. So you could buy an exceptional hat to use for now, and replace it with a more expensive hat later after you lose it, if you haven’t done that yet.
edited by Harlocke on 8/31/2016

I ended up buying a Tub, because it amused me.

Thanks for the advice, all (I may consider the Exceptional Hat for my Great Wine sell-off.)

Would i get an increased production of Scraps if i’d buy all the lodgings or, more importantly, will i see the card from one home whilst residing in another? I know it works with Townhouse but how about others?

Buying the lodging means adding its card to your deck regardless of which one you’re actually living in. And if you’re after scraps, the Call in Favours in the Flit card lets you trade in Urchin connections for a load of scraps.