Weekly Questions, Beginning 20/06/2016

Alrighty, here’s this week’s thread for short questions, because boy is it ever Friday!

For the salon options with the Mercies and the Presbyterian Diplomat, do they need to be equipped for the boost, or do you just need to own them?

Also, is there a practical way to get Melancholy to 12 without Bazaar’s Tears? I would prefer to Grieve than Hate in seeking, but I traded in all my Tears for Blood a few days before Seeking resumed.
edited by th8827 on 6/19/2016

You just need to have them as companions. No need to equip.

I’ve recently asked about this as well, and unfortunately it seems that Tears are the way. Though, according to the wiki, one of the higher Unaccountably Peckish cards gives some Melancholy, but the cap is unknown.

I asked this in last week’s thread as well, but I am without an answer so far. So;

Does anyone know if the bug in ‘The Seven-Day Reign’ which resulted in the choices made by the player to not properly reflect when recorded in the player’s journal has been fixed? When I spoke to Failbetter’s support about the matter they said to keep an eye on the forums for news about a fix, which I’ve unfortunately neglected.

I have 135 Watchful and I just reached Archaeologist 3 after playing it safe early on. How much should I prepare for the Tomb of Seven and inevitable Nadir expeditions, and how hard are they going to be depending on supplies brought?

IK about Docks favours

Include the 10 supplies required to confront your rivals in the count, whatever you do! I did the To7 with a lot of surplus supplies and around 120 Watchful and came out with a handful left (luck of the draw was terrible).
edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 6/20/2016

Is it known what connected level was necessary for renown 50 for 1) criminals, 2) the docks, 3) tomb-colonies and 4) rubbery men, respectively?

Rubbery men and criminals went with the (connected - 21)/ 5 [271], while docks and criminals went with (connected - 21)/6, [321], i believe. Still, I could be mistaken. Generally, i’d say if you want renown 50 you want 21+(multiplier * 50) connected. So far, the highest multiplier seen has been 6, but there could be higher or lower ones out there- society connections are kinda ubiquitous, while the university factions basically have none, and the duchess very few sources you’ll see past a certain point, IIRC.
edited by Grenem on 6/21/2016

I don’t know if it’s officially been fixed but when I played this mid-May I had no issues at all.

The Duchess has an option that is freely open in the Shuttered Palace. I grind that sometimes because it also gives Bohemian, which is useful for Salons.

The University connections sources, besides the Endowment, seem to disappear completely once you finish the University. It is needed for opening a Salon, though, which can be awkward for people who are no longer welcome there and, therefore, had Summerset zeroed out.

EDIT: Any news on when the Urchin change will happen?
edited by th8827 on 6/21/2016

Is there a reliable way, other than advancing “making your name” qualities, to increase subtle past 10? I am doing all right with hedonist, but subtle has been more… difficult.

In a similar vein to the previous post, I’m looking to get Melancholy from 10 to 12. I don’t have Tears of the Bazaar to warm, unfortunately! And I’ve heard the Iron Republic is the place to go to raise quirks, but I can’t find any mention of Melancholy. I don’t suppose anyone has any ideas?

Not that I’m aware of, except for [fatelocked by long-lost daughter] in the nadir. The iron republic is mainly for austere and hedonist, i believe.

Does anyone know if there are any repeated Actions or even carousels that can bring Melancholy up to 10? Cards are a little bit out of the question due to the unfortunate requirements of Seeking, (although if there are any particularly good options, I will cut UP to 0 just to use them, so if there are some particularly effective options please do suggest them) but if I can get Melancholy to 10, then chugging my three remaining Tears should hopefully be enough to get me to the Melancholy 12 that I will need to Grieve.

If you Seek, I believe (although I’m not sure) Restitution for the Drowned Man, from the card KNAVE OF REGRETS can increase Melancholy to a cap of (12? 15? idk, need to experiment).

If you Seek, I believe (although I’m not sure) Restitution for the Drowned Man, from the card KNAVE OF REGRETS can increase Melancholy to a cap of (12? 15? idk, need to experiment).[/quote]

I do Seek! Looking to raise Melancholy to 12 for the Grieve option. I’ll give your suggestion a try after TtH stops by, thank you! Failing that, I do in fact have a daughter I could take on trips to the Nadir, so I guess I’m covered either way!

I don’t know if it’s officially been fixed but when I played this mid-May I had no issues at all.[/quote]

Ah. Out of curiosity, which character did you select as the lottery winner? The protege, the default choice, seemed to be the only one functioning properly at release.

Is there any way to get rid of Daring? All the options to lower it I can find seem to be one-time only, for example a certain part of “A name signed in flourish” and so on.

I don’t know if it’s officially been fixed but when I played this mid-May I had no issues at all.[/quote]

Ah. Out of curiosity, which character did you select as the lottery winner? The protege, the default choice, seemed to be the only one functioning properly at release.[/quote]

Ah, I didn’t know that. Yes, I chose the protégé … because the RNG refused to let me draw the right cards to progress my Aunt to the point where I could suggest her.

Not sure how useful this will be for you: If you have Renown: The Docks at least at 15, you can will get +5 CP Subtle (up to 15) each time you swap 7 Favours for Renown.