Weekly Questions, Beginning 14/11/2016

Got quick questions? Ask 'em here, and we’ll endeavour to answer as best we can!

Was it intentional to design the renown gain actions such that only Watchful factions will permit achievement of Renown 50?

Don’t think so as I remember Alexis once mentioned that not every aspect is supposed to be equally powerful/useful.

Theoretically, you can get to Renown 50 for any specific faction, but not necessarily all of them.

With POSI specialization (+15 to a chosen stat, but non-changeable at this time), best Fate gear, best profession gear, a destiny, and a mood, you can make any one stat high enough to allow for Renown 50. (of course, this will also need multiple uses of a Mood card - since you only have an hour to use it, and can’t store Favours for conversion beyond 7 at a time).

I don’t think we’re supposed to be able to get to Renown 50 at all (except in very special cases). I see the higher Renown levels (above 40) as indications of very high pre-conversion Connected level. As FBG said when the system was introduced, people with extraordinary pre-existing levels of Connected will have extraordinary level of Renown.

Did a quick search without any recent results, but is the Find Friends for sparring, dinners, chess & theft thread the best place to find a fellow EF to farm Confident Smiles? Those kind of &quotpartners&quot seem a bit scarce.

Has Failbetter Games implemented the Google Ajax Search API into Fallen London today? It’s impossible to do anything now if it’s blocked (which it is by default).

/edit: Looks like it got fixed (it no longer uses it).
/edit2: And it’s back to using that API for whatever reason…
edited by Lucumo on 11/16/2016

So, not to sound impatient, but do you think the developers are going to rejuvenate Ladybones Road, Watchmaker’s Hill, and Spite in the same way they’ve done with Veilgarden? That being, the addition of these new &quotA Name Signed with a Flourish&quot Areas.
When I first encountered a Name Known to Many, I was dumbfounded by it, and was afraid I’d made a poor decision. However, if they can do something like this for the other three areas/stats, it’d make the game a lot more fun for beginners; especially in Ladybones Road, because I personally found Watchful more difficult to level than other stats due to the lack of actions possible there before everything becomes a grey Straightforward.
Does this post belong more in the Feedback thread? Don’t hesitate to let me know, I’ll post it there too if it means they’ll see it better.

[quote=Victor Archibald Xander]So, not to sound impatient, but do you think the developers are going to rejuvenate Ladybones Road, Watchmaker’s Hill, and Spite in the same way they’ve done with Veilgarden? That being, the addition of these new &quotA Name Signed with a Flourish&quot Areas.
When I first encountered a Name Known to Many, I was dumbfounded by it, and was afraid I’d made a poor decision. However, if they can do something like this for the other three areas/stats, it’d make the game a lot more fun for beginners; especially in Ladybones Road, because I personally found Watchful more difficult to level than other stats due to the lack of actions possible there before everything becomes a grey Straightforward.
Does this post belong more in the Feedback thread? Don’t hesitate to let me know, I’ll post it there too if it means they’ll see it better.[/quote]
Isn’t that already done? I’m pretty sure they’ve completed it all already.

I’m trying to achieve PoSI and I’m very close to getting all my stats up to 100 (with gear). Right now, I’m trying to get from 90 to 100 Shadowy, and wondering what the most efficient actions are. I’ve been grinding casing in the Flit and then selling my information, but as each casing requires 3 actions, I’m afraid that amounts to just one CP per action, which isn’t great (feel free to correct my math, it’s not my forte). Plus, it’s a quick and boring way to use up a whole day’s candle.

Other thoughts on efficient and exciting ways to gain these last 10 points? Thanks!

You could find an Invisible Eminence to mentor you in Shadowy, or someone will to exchange Loitering invites to grind Warning Notes to convert to Shadowy.

Alternately, you could use Casing to run Heists, which give a nice bump to Shadowy after successful completion.

Do you think now is good time to grind Urchin / Constable / Hell connections in order to get some Renown after faction conversion to new system?
edited by Wojciech on 11/19/2016

Yes it is, though it may be too late to max out urchins.
edited by suinicide on 11/19/2016

What’s the best way to grind them, by the way? I can’t find anything besides Speaking Softly, and that’s not very efficient.

So… what happens when you abandon (lose Closest to) a faction that has switched to Renown from Connected. Does anyone know? Do you lose ALL Reknown or just all Favours?
edited by Baron Lagavulin on 11/22/2016

You only lose all the favours, the only way to lose renown currently is to pick a specific option while seeking Mr Eaten’s name(and it says that it will destroy all your connections, renown and favours).

You only lose all the favours, the only way to lose renown currently is to pick a specific option while seeking Mr Eaten’s name(and it says that it will destroy all your connections, renown and favours).[/quote]

Thanks!
edited by Baron Lagavulin on 11/22/2016

It is just speak softly, they’re not easy to grind. But if you don’t have a connected pet and stay in veilgarden, you get a common card that gives you a good boost.

It is just speak softly, they’re not easy to grind. But if you don’t have a connected pet and stay in veilgarden, you get a common card that gives you a good boost.[/quote] You can also get Urchins connections through conflict cards with The Widow and Hell (though the latter has a nasty bit of Wounds tacked on).

There is also an option in Spite with Airs of London at 25 or less. Play Groundsman for the Urchins - I think it only 1cp versus the 3cp for Speaking Softly. Though if you are using airs to try and get Docks connections I think it is worth knowing. You can also get the best widow cp between 33 and 67 and Constables (in Watchmaker’s Hill) at 76 and over.

A Name Signed with a Flourish 0-2 - 3 CP
Widow CC - 30 CP
Hell CC - 30 CP
No pet - 15 CP
Urchin card - 10 CP
A Name Whispered in Darkness 2-3 - 15 CP
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 0-2 - ? CP
A Name in Seven Secret Alphabets 0-2 - 4 CP
Trickster’s reward - 5 CP
Criminal favour card - 15 CP
Dangerous 57-87 - 12 CP
Shadowy 69-106 - 5 CP

Opportunism Spite - 1 CP
Crowds of Spite Carousel - 10 CP
Numismatrix - 10 CP
[b]Fisher King - 3 CP

[/b]Bold ones means you don’t need to rely on cards, but they offer tiny amount of CP compared to the AP required. If you don’t want to derail you can try raise it with the two conflict cards, faction card and An implausible penance card option. Using this 3 options I managed to get to 371, but I started using them since it was announced that they are next.
If you get to 7 Criminal Favours and have more cards you can always start the Thieves cache expedition to consume one.

Good luck!

EDIT: Table is not nice!
edited by Skinnyman on 11/20/2016