Weekly Questions, Beginning 13/05/2016

And it snowed every day. No Man could thrive in such conditions.

I’ve read that selling casing in Flit can gain me connected criminals but so far every time i’ve done it ive only received shadowy. is it a rare success reward now?

The connected gain was removed after Criminals were converted to the Renown/Favours system. At first the option to sell information to criminals was removed entirely, but it was soon brought back to provide a way to sell casing to increase Shadowy.

Is there a reliable way to obtain Criminal favors outside of the opportunity cards?

There is the carnival, but that cuts off after you reach a little renown. After that I’m pretty sure you need to wait on opportunity cards.

[quote=Thraxishunter]Is there a reliable way to obtain Criminal favors outside of the opportunity cards?[/quote]Other than the limited Favours you can get via the Carnival, it’s meant to be opportunity based. But Criminals is the faction with the most options to get Favours (and if you’re an Enforcer, you’ll get one Favour each week as your weekly payment), if you have the right stats/items/companions to draw the cards:

Standard Frequency:

[ul][li]Providing an alibi via the Criminals faction card[/li][li]With a Disappointing Marsh-Wolf[/li][li]A Visit with The Repentant Forger[/li][li]Via A Gang of Hoodlums[/li][/ul]Infrequent Frequency:

[ul][li]Ruthless Henchman[/li][li]Alluring Accomplice[/li][/ul]Very Infrequent Frequency:

This list might help you speed up the process!

Item related cards:
Etiquette for the Ruthless
Overly alluring
The Life of Crime
The Tower of Knives: Difficulties at a Smoky Flophouse
What will you do with your Disappointing Marsh-wolf? which disables this no-pet card, but the frequency is better and not location related

Quality related:
A merry sort of crime (requires Criminal Renown 20)
Visit your acquaintance, the Repentant Forger (requires a visit to the prison)
Burglary with the Master Jewel Thief (He’s not an item!:P)
The Enforcer’s reward
A riot in Spite! (there’s an uncertainty if it’s related to your Dangerous level)

Story related:
An opportunity for profit
A drink with the Cheery Man
An evening’s zailing

I’ll just add this anyway:
The Alleys of London: the Criminals

EDIT: Hahahah, dov beat me to it with less than a minute! :p
edited by Skinnyman on 5/18/2016

Actually, once you know the Repentant Forger, you visit him in Veilgarden.

Has anybody else noticed weirdness happening on the site? I’ve had two events today. I came back from lunch to find a gift had been “unpacked” in my absence (in other words, there was a message about its arrival and contents in email and on the messages tab), and just now, the card deck refilled to 10 spontaneously (no fate available, so not misclick, and I’d been working up connected: the widow in Spite, so nothing there that I know of and I wasn’t doing any of the “away from base” things that refill the deck.(If such things exist. I never mentioned anything of the kind…)

I’ve had nothing like that. Do you know what was in the gift? (The only thing I can think of is the gift of great fate, which I believe is auto-accepted)
edited by suinicide on 5/18/2016

Jewels are an auto-accept as well.

As for 10 actions - did you pay fate to get your aunt back to the Neath? if so that is one possible result when you get her card Or drink some darkdrop coffee? I can’t think of anything else that restores actions

Ah, that explains one. Thank you. I wasn’t playing opportunity cards or drinking coffee, though.

Are there any Fate-locked Clubs anywhere? I’m not fond of either the Parnetheum or the Young Stags, so I would gladly go in on any other options available.

Sorry, not yet. (Not that there’s any indication there will be)
edited by suinicide on 5/18/2016

This isn’t the explanation for it refiling, but an answer to your unasked question- there are no away from base things that fully refill the deck i am aware of, but most events that involve going to another area double the cards both ways- so, for instance, if you accept a polite invitation with 5 cards in deck, you will have 10 when you arrive. And the same is true on your return, making it reasonably practical for someone who cares about drawing cards to accept stuff like this. generally this is useful, though in the nadir it can slightly worsen your odds of getting one of the good ones.

Thank you, Grenem, that is helpful to know. It actually took me quite a while to realise I was coming back to a full deck. Is there a list of the events/places where this happens? My impression was it might include heists?

It does include heists and a Polite Invitation; I do it all the time. The oddest thing about heists is that it might refill past the doubled number upon return, as in I’ve had 1 card go to 4 and 2 cards go to 6 (I’m not an EF so 6 is my max). We were looking into it for awhile but I’m not sure anyone has been paying attention for some months.

Paying attention to the cards while doing heists or attending invitations? I thought everyone was doing specially that it’s covered in the Beginner’s Guide.

Now, a question from me as well: Is the Wiki information regarding the Scheme: an Orphanage?
I did the math and, with the average values there and an average of 1.7 EPA (money grind as you need a lot) the Midnighter option offers ~3.5189 MW/AP; so I’m interested in the costs for pursuing the scheme, using it and the MW values.
EDIT: Small errors regarding the math behind the Court option. I was pasting from my excel and didn’t realize that I missed something.
Correct: Otherwise, if you’re interested in E as well, is more cost (AP) efficient to just get MW from Discussing philosophy because you get with some honey which, with the same values, offers ~0.685 MW/AP (NOT 2.073).
Did the math for the ToT carousel and with same values, it offers an average of 0.9469 MW/AP.
edited by Skinnyman on 5/20/2016

So I’ve come to a bit of a brick wall in resources for the Tomb of the Seven expedition (necessary to head onwards for Watchful, as I understand it). However, the only advice I can find for getting the Whispered Secrets required for buying supplies all involve the Tiger Keeper, which is a right predicament considering my character has about 25 Dangerous at the moment. I’m not too keen to spend Fate on unlocking a route which I would likely unlock anyways eventually. Should I start grinding it or just focus on other skill branches (like Persuasive, etc)?

You can use favors from the docks to get supplies. You can obtain them from the tents at Mrs. Plenty’s as well as from a number of opportunity cards.