Weekly Questions, Beginning 12/12/2016

I just bought favorable circumstance and I don’t see the option to force a visit with Slowcake like I used to. Is he just completely offline for now? I’m desperate to get notability back.

Slowcake can be forced to visit in “Matters of Society and Scandal”

Is it under a larger option because I only see the option to invite him over if I already have 1 notability.

Why nevermind, it appears as though this card has been retired from the game.

Wait what? I just got him today. And the only thing I’ve heard was gifting notability being taken offline.

Why nevermind, it appears as though this card has been retired from the game.[/quote]

The only option doesn’t work if you’ve dropped to Notability 0. Slowcake can be forced only if you’ve already got your first point, that’s the only way. And he definitely appeared for me earlier today.
edited by Cthonius on 12/15/2016

Indeed.

Forcing the Slowcake’s Amanuensis card has nothing to do with Favourable Circumstances. You can force-draw it from &quotAttend to matters of society and scandal&quot in your lodgings, if you have at least one point of Notability and the needed amount of Making Waves.

Favourable Circumstances can be used to force-draw other types of cards: All connection cards, The Portly Sommelier, an Unsigned Letter, or the next missing Missionary & Firebrand card (and during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose, the Lady in Lilac).

[quote=Harlocke]While raising ToL, is the semiotic monocle the best choice?

And is there any reason why I should use my lacre now, or can I stockpile it and use it before meeting Mr. Sacks?[/quote]
Wait a bit (more).

[quote=Robin Alexander]This is going to sound super bizarre, but . . .

Is there a problem with time-stamps on the forum? Just I’m seeing some posts saying they were made x hours ago, and it’s like I’m positive I saw them yesterday? I’m not very well, so maybe my perception of time is skewed, but it’s really weird when you are 99% sure you were not online four hours ago, only for the forum to tell you that you posted then :-S[/quote]
Never had this issue before and I don’t see how you stumble upon it. My only guess is that you didn’t refresh the page you are viewing; this happens to me sometimes, but I realize there are no new message nor posts. :D

weird

so I was phone browsing when I drew a card with jack’s image on it. I’ve reached the content boundary a while back, jack’s story included. I’m at 3 suspicion though, but this is still the first time I’ve ever seen this card pop up. unfortunately, my clumsy fingers dismissed it before I could see what it is. anyone has any clue as to what it could be?

There is a card added at suspicion 3, the laws long arm,but it doesn’t have jack of smiles on it.

[quote=IHNIWTR]weird

so I was phone browsing when I drew a card with jack’s image on it. I’ve reached the content boundary a while back, jack’s story included. I’m at 3 suspicion though, but this is still the first time I’ve ever seen this card pop up. unfortunately, my clumsy fingers dismissed it before I could see what it is. anyone has any clue as to what it could be?[/quote]

The only card with Jack on it I ever get is Jack Strikes Again, but that requires you not to have the Accomplishment quality Jack’s Gone, which it sounds like you have.

If you’re feeling diligent, here’s a list of all the pages on the wiki which have that image on them. It’s rather a lot, though.

Can writer’s block happen while doing The Writer’s Desk storylet? Surely blocks are a key component of any book-writing simulator

Considering that things look the same as last year and let’s say they are, what do you think about this plan:
Using the info from the link in my signature, I’ll end up with 2 Pails and ToL 11 (let’s say I pick all options). Add the fact that I want to side with the Duchess and finish the story means I’ll have 13 ToL.

9 for my Bazaar Premises (4) and the Noman (1 ToL). Last two butckets will take me to 7, get the Soothe & Cooper Long-Box which takes me back to 2 ToL.

Now, the Long-Box can only be bought with ToL and Gift+Last Dog Society start (right?), don’t know how much time I’ll have for SS to enjoy the quality from it, but my budget is tight considering that I want the mask from the Rose Feast and a KS backer level for SSkyes. I didn’t met the Captivating Princess so I’ll get a Dreadful Surmise from her. This seem to be the possible other uses of ToL (DS and Long-Box) that I desire.
I can buy another Pail from the Urchins, and get to 5 or probably 8 if I’m lucky, but what next? Get ready for next year’s festival for Noman tattoo, get more lodgings, feed the Pail to a Monkey?

I was wondering if anyone had gotten the extra content for doing the entire exceptional season for the lifeberg hunter. It’s been quite a while since the end…

[quote=Vryl]I was wondering if anyone had gotten the extra content for doing the entire exceptional season for the lifeberg hunter. It’s been quite a while since the end…[/quote]It sometimes takes Failbetter 2-3 months to release the Season bonus content.

@Skinnyman: Just adding that I had a look at previous years’ Advent Calendars on the wiki, and there always was one day which gave one point of ToL (uncapped), so we can probably all figure that into our plans as well…
edited by phryne on 1/1/2017

Is it really impossible to raise &quotA Name Signed With a Flourish&quot quality above 1 without engaging in romance with the heiress/jewel-thief?

That’s a bit of an RP hole, mostly for austere/stoic/morally-bound characters who don’t really wish to sleep around.

I mean of course I -could- bite through it and pretend it never happened, but I might as well ask here before doing so, even though the wiki appears to say that’s the only way.
edited by Doomjoon on 12/16/2016

Doomjoon, there is no other way. And it’s not the last time you’ll have to engage in romantic affairs to increase “A Name Signed With a Flourish”…

Not my favourite part, either. Though strictly speaking, I do believe one can duck the sleeping around bit.

This is weird and I’m not sure it should work this way, but I started the Bit rat story some time ago using the &quotlonger&quot road.
Got Sartorial squeamishness card, followed by A night-time conference story at the lodgings, investigated the matter and Addressed the problem of this Big Rat. Only after these I took The sculpted scowl and started Seeking the Meaning of the Plaster Face which locks all the previous card and actions.
All well, story rot there for a long time and I continued it these days, but I saw that Out-ratting the rats is available. The only way this could have happened was if I took A night-time conference again after finishing the first investigation, but that didn’t happened.

Does this sound like a bug to you, am I missing something or I unlocked it before Seeking the Meaning of the Plaster Face and forgot about it?