Weekly Fallen London Questions, 30/11/2020

Bear with me for asking something obvious, I’m not totally up to date, I don’t have all the stations yet, and there’s probably load I haven’t seen yet.

We have those high-level challenges (grinds!) related to the stats. First we had SotC for Watchful, then the Poet Laureate for Persuasive, and now I notice there is something about going on a bear hunt (“we’re not scared”) for Dangerous. Is there one of these for Shadowy yet? My character still looks back at her early days as a pickpocket in Spite with some fondness, and though she hasn’t finished any of the others, she might be interested in a Shadowy one.

Formally, the Dangerous one is becoming Defender of the Public Safety at the Department of Menace Eradication - going on a bear hunt (going on a bear hunt!) is one way to grind that, but other game is available. I don’t believe we have a Shadowy one yet, no!

[quote=Judaspriester]Hey,
I manged to get Renown: Hell 40 and 7 Favours and therefore think about visiting the Iron Republic. I have a Ship and the Safe-Conduct.
Without going to deep into spoilers, are there any more preperations I should do (except making sure I have enough MW for the next Time the Healer) or special things I should know or be aware of?[/quote]
Personal opinion, don’t make any preparations. You can only experience the Iron Republic for the first time once, and it’s best done blind, naked, and screaming.

Another one. Two in one day!

Is there a decent alternative way of getting those Justificande coin things that doesn’t invole doing the heist? Work on the Railway has been halted for about a week, with all the labourers and myself sitting around on our fat arses eating rubbery pies, simply because I don’t have any of those damn coins. The ever-escalating feud between myself and the RNG has reached such a peak that it is simply refusing to give up any Docks favours (which you need five of to do the heist).

(And why the blazes do I have to keep robbing this poor woman’s house just to make some steel. What ARE those coins, in the lore?)

Another way of putting it would be, I suppose, ‘Is there a decent way of getting Docks favours that I have overlooked?’ There’s the Docks card itself, visiting the Regretful Soldier, and the connected pet (though that never seems to show up either) that I can think of.
edited by Plynkes on 12/4/2020

There’s a lengthy carousel on Mutton Island. You could also grind MW -> Notability and purchase Favourable Circumstances to force the Docks card, which I suppose has the advantage of staying in London and getting regular card draws.

Oh, I have a favourable circumstance. One came with Time the Healer this week, part of the recent changes, I think. Forgot all about that, thanks!

Mutton Island is nice enough, but not so much at this time of year. :)
edited by Plynkes on 12/4/2020

[quote=Dagforth][quote=Plynkes]
Another way of putting it would be, I suppose, ‘Is there a decent way of getting Docks favours that I have overlooked?’
[/quote]

There’s a lengthy carousel on Mutton Island. You could also grind MW -> Notability and purchase Favourable Circumstances to force the Docks card, which I suppose has the advantage of staying in London and getting regular card draws.[/quote]

Hmm… thats doable, but the costs per favour sound aweful.

I just checked the wiki (https://fallenlondon.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Justificande_Coin_Sources):
the coins really arent easy to get, but at least they have added new options, especially the carpeting relicker one.
If you want to grind the coins without having to rely on cards, the only option seems to be the chessboard in parabola.

You can get a corrective historical narrative in the Waswood and trade it for coins on the Which Meeting? card in the upper river.

You can buy Special Dispensations at the Magistracy of the Evenload for 7 Constable favours and trade them for coins with the Which Meeting? card.

You also get a Docks favor for hunting the pinewood shark in Parabola.

I’ll have to check out that chessboard one of these days. It’s the only one of the places in Parabola I haven’t properly explored.

Happily, thanks to the Soldier and my Favourable Circumstance, work will soon be resuming. I am about to go and relieve that unfortunate lady of a few more of her coins. Thanks for the tips.

You can also hunt dream sharks in Parabola for Docks Favours, unless that’s changed recently. That could be a little more accessible than Mutton Island.

Edit: Whoops, PJ beat me to it. Hunting dream sharks also gives Defender of Public Safety, IIRC, and you don’t have to draw cards for it like with the bear grind.
edited by MrUnderhill89 on 12/4/2020

Whatever one has to do to unlock shark hunting, it would appear that I haven’t yet done it. But I’ll keep it in mind for the future. Thanks.

For now I am good. I’ve snagged a couple of Corrective Narratives in the Waswood that I can spend next time I’m up in Ealing Gardens, and have now unlocked the heist, too. So I won’t be wanting for coins soon.

I used the Chessboard in Parabola to wipe out my Liberation of Night quality, and I now have 92 Justificandes. Not a particularly quick or profitable way of getting them, but if you fancy unLiberating the Night anyway, you might as well do them at the same time.

You can also change Airs of London until you get the top 5% and get Docks favors from the Chandleress, unless the recent update removed that source.

It’s not particularly quick, but does have the added benefit of at least providing SOME resources outside of the favors.

Looks like lab stuff has been unaffected by the balance changes, except for the costs of going in and out being removed! Is that right?

Well, I suggest you have a Gang of Hudlooms and that you are commited (I think those aren’t a problem for you at this point). Those make challenges pass from 50% success to 60%. I also suggest you bring 2 or 3 Brass Rings, the more the better. Oh and, if I remember quite right, bring some uncanny incunabula to get some unique items, but for those I’m not sure.

Sorry, that was for an older comment.

Is anyone else’s Time the Healer very late or absent?

I had some trouble accessing the game this morning (both mobile and desktop), for about an hour, and I’m wondering if it’s connected somehow, but I’m fairly certain my TtH is always early on a Saturday and don’t recall having seen it at all.

Mine was fine, but I get it on a Friday these days. This kind of thing has happened to me a fair bit over the years, and it has shifted across the days multiple times. Don’t know what causes it, but it has been a fact of Fallen London life for me since I first came here.

There’s always a slow shift of Time the Healer forward. One week is the intended interval, but if the server is busy at the time, it can be delayed a bit. But it doesn’t “correct” that delay next week - your next Time will be no sooner than one week after your previous one. I think over the time I’ve been playing, my TtH has shifted by a few days.

When does Mr Sacks typically show up?