Weekly Fallen London Questions, 29/07/2019

New mayordom, new quick questions thread!

@ Dudebro Pyro, last week

My TtH has also moved backwards by several hours, so the answer to your question is yes.

Since it moves forwards when new lives are created in the Neath, I wonder whether the reasons for it moving backwards are possibly not entirely positive.

Oh good, I can safely blame the game rather than my own timekeeping. That’s a relief.

Anyone else caught off guard by the Amanuensis makeover? I know we were all expecting it last year, but it took me a minute to process why there was a new face in my hand this morning.

Yeah, that was rattling. Especially coming so soon after the Election, what with that being a portrait from a different election and all, I thought for a second the Devils had dome some damned trickery with the office of the (Lord?) Mayor.

It did take me a few moments of staring to figure out that I was simply looking at the Amanuensis card.

How long would it take to gain the cider if you used Sinning Jenny’s school as your main grind?

I’m not sure anyone has bothered to calculate its EPA, as it’s definitely not optimal.

Unless you mean using it to refresh cards and making money that way, in which case flash lays are more efficient.

[quote=Optimatum]I’m not sure anyone has bothered to calculate its EPA, as it’s definitely not optimal.

Unless you mean using it to refresh cards and making money that way, in which case flash lays are more efficient.[/quote]

The more profitable collection option for Sinning Jenny’s is 12.5 Echoes. Minimizing actions via good student choices gives you, by my testing, a minimum of 12 actions to move through the entire thing. From purely the item rewards plus the 50% chance of a favor it’s a 1.1EPA grind; if you pick &quotunsuitable students&quot there are two that give a better reward than 50% chance of a favor (both unlocked by other Fate content), but they also introduce hazard cards which will usually pad out your required actions, so it’s probably a wash.

Because it seems like most methods of refilling your hand require you to spend a certain minimum number of actions to get through, and Menacing your way out of Flash Lays doesn’t, it’s possible Failbetter will nerf that option eventually, which will make calculating how much &quotfilling your hand&quot is worth in addition to the monetary rewards an interesting endeavor, but currently it’s probably only worthwhile if you A) don’t like using the Flash Lay trick for whatever reason (think it’s against the spirit of the game, don’t like having to micromanage menaces, etc) or B) think the Flash Lay trick is going to be nerfed soon and don’t want to depend on it long term.

[quote=D]Because it seems like most methods of refilling your hand require you to spend a certain minimum number of actions to get through, and Menacing your way out of Flash Lays doesn’t, it’s possible Failbetter will nerf that option eventually, which will make calculating how much &quotfilling your hand&quot is worth in addition to the monetary rewards an interesting endeavor, but currently it’s probably only worthwhile if you A) don’t like using the Flash Lay trick for whatever reason (think it’s against the spirit of the game, don’t like having to micromanage menaces, etc) or B) think the Flash Lay trick is going to be nerfed soon and don’t want to depend on it long term.[/quote]It’s worth noting that the Flash Lay trick has been around for nearly 2 years now and in that span, we’ve been through both the Fallen London Reworks project and the site redesign. Furthermore, there aren’t many ways to nerf the flash resets: either you make the maximum allowed Scandal entering a Flash Lay to be 1 or you remove the Scandal from one of the items; I suspect any such change would be met with a cold reception.

I would imagine they could just not have your hand reset if you get kicked out instead of completing, but I don’t know enough about the coding structure of FL to know how feasible that is. Either way, this is moderately useful if you don’t feel like micromanaging your menaces to that degree (or you need to keep them at other levels for something else you’re doing) but probably not otherwise.

The 3rd options would be a suitable one as it requires a Cider which is a long term goal. This way, old players will have a bigger sense of achievement!
A more suitable way to nerf Flash Lays is to be kicked at 6 scandal instead of 5. Maybe seven?

[quote=Skinnyman]The 3rd options would be a suitable one as it requires a Cider which is a long term goal. This way, old players will have a bigger sense of achievement!
A more suitable way to nerf Flash Lays is to be kicked at 6 scandal instead of 5. Maybe seven?[/quote]
That would make Flash Lays a cakewalk. Not to mention if they did that, they’d have to increase it for all of them, and that would seriously mess with flash lays themselves.

I don’t think that’s possible the way FL is currently programmed. The deck refresh isn’t an intentional bonus for completing a flash lay, it’s a side-effect of entering an area with an infinite deck, so they couldn’t remove the deck refresh without changing flash lays to limited decks. (And if that happened, I doubt anyone would play them ever again.)

[quote=Optimatum]
I don’t think that’s possible the way FL is currently programmed. The deck refresh isn’t an intentional bonus for completing a flash lay, it’s a side-effect of entering an area with an infinite deck, so they couldn’t remove the deck refresh without changing flash lays to limited decks. (And if that happened, I doubt anyone would play them ever again.)[/quote]

Finite decks double your hand on switch though. I had done Heists over and over again to obtain the Cider; Heist doubles card number on entrance and quadruples on exit, so even finite decks can be used in such way.

Do they even know of these issues?

[quote=Kharsirr Lynx][quote=Optimatum]
I don’t think that’s possible the way FL is currently programmed. The deck refresh isn’t an intentional bonus for completing a flash lay, it’s a side-effect of entering an area with an infinite deck, so they couldn’t remove the deck refresh without changing flash lays to limited decks. (And if that happened, I doubt anyone would play them ever again.)[/quote]

Finite decks double your hand on switch though. I had done Heists over and over again to obtain the Cider; Heist doubles card number on entrance and quadruples on exit, so even finite decks can be used in such way.

Do they even know of these issues?[/quote]
Finite decks double your hand, but flash lay resets would be a lot less effective if you needed two cards in hand to actually do them.

The deck refresh mechanics are definitely intentional, at least in general.

I was more asking for a RP perspective. I wanted to see how long it would take with card refreshes and teaching rewards. To gain immortality through teaching was kind of the goal.

To figure that out, you’d want to use the 12 actions = 12.5 Echoes equation, then work out how much an average hand refresh is worth (which is an interesting piece of calculation in and of itself - you’d have to be keeping track of average EPA for your deck, I suppose)

Did the expeditions just get nerfed? I was doing the Rosers (40-supplies) and entered with 57 supplies in hand. I had reached archaeologists proccess 40, when suddenly an option I had never seen before appeared, asking me to save my nemesis, the Heroic Archaeologist, from Devils. I could not choose the final result and complete the expedition without it. I am pretty sure I didn’t have Rival progress 10, either.
Thankfully, I had the ten extra supplies at hand, but that was rattling. Is it that I just hadn’t noticed it before?

[quote=Jolanda Swan]Did the expeditions just get nerfed? I was doing the Rosers (40-supplies) and entered with 57 supplies in hand. I had reached archaeologists proccess 40, when suddenly an option I had never seen before appeared, asking me to save my nemesis, the Heroic Archaeologist, from Devils. I could not choose the final result and complete the expedition without it. I am pretty sure I didn’t have Rival progress 10, either.
Thankfully, I had the ten extra supplies at hand, but that was rattling. Is it that I just hadn’t noticed it before?[/quote]
Doesn’t seem to be new.