Weekly Fallen London Questions, 27/11/2018

Here’s this week’s thread for quick questions!

Does the labyrinth of tigers unlock other stories once you reach Making Progress 16?
I know that the 5th coil is still not available, but does playing those repeatable sotrylets about breeding monsters unlock new content or the reward items it’s all you can get?

The 5th coil is open! It was added about a year ago. Advancing that story requires getting kicked out of court and a few rounds of Governership in Port Carnelian.

Successfully breeding the Hound of Heaven is more-or-less the conclusion of the Fourth Coil content, unless you pay Fate for extra content. That content has two conclusions: Materially an owl, and story-wise the Diocesan Intrigue storyline. If you’ve reached those “conclusions,” then the Fourth Coil storylets are there just to repeat for fun & profit.

Is the positive result of “Something for you to try, dear” randomised? It just restored 6 actions for me but I’ve seen it do 9 or 10 before.

It always restores 10 actions, unless that would take you over the action cap. Note that the actions are added before the cost of playing the option is applied: if you play it with 11 actions left (and no Exceptional Friendship) the +10 will bring you up to 20, then the action cost brings you down to 19.

What’s the best way to obtain Favours: Bohemians?
[excluding Sinning Jenny’s school ~14 Actions = 60% chance at a favour]

[quote=PSGarak]The 5th coil is open! It was added about a year ago. Advancing that story requires getting kicked out of court and a few rounds of Governership in Port Carnelian.
[/quote]
thanks for your answers!
i tought the 5th coil was still unavailable since it lists &quotyou need impossible!&quot but i guess it’s just a bug

It’s not a bug. Once you have sufficient progress with the Dilmun Club, that option vanishes and the option to enter becomes visible.

[quote=Honeyaddict]What’s the best way to obtain Favours: Bohemians?
[excluding Sinning Jenny’s school ~14 Actions = 60% chance at a favour][/quote]

You can maximize F: B drop rate by joining Young Stags (and making performances with them), making an acquaintance of Repentant Forger or Sardonic Music-hall Singer (and paying them visits), getting a Hangover Terrier (and owing him for parties). Also you may become an Author or Journalist for a guaranteed Favour per TtH. Last option of Tower of Sparrows card grants one too.

And I have a question too. How does one gets to New Newgate most swiftly and painlessly? Time has come to collect a final fruit of my criminal labours.

If by &quotpainlessly&quot you mean &quotwithout a criminal record,&quot the only option is to fail to rob the Brass Embassy. This is, however, not painless in many other senses.

[quote=Siankan]
If by &quotpainlessly&quot you mean &quotwithout a criminal record,&quot the only option is to fail to rob the Brass Embassy. This is, however, not painless in many other senses.[/quote]
How could I forget about Robberies? Anyway, I forgot about Criminal Record too. How dissipated criminal I am! Thank you, good sir.
edited by curtistruffle on 11/26/2018

[quote=Honeyaddict]What’s the best way to obtain Favours: Bohemians?
[excluding Sinning Jenny’s school ~14 Actions = 60% chance at a favour][/quote] Here’s a reddit link which our beloved Rahv shared with us!

How far along should I be in the game before I can peruse the forums without asking questions all the time?

You can never escape…

Is One’s Public not going to provide anything other than the bland, “you lived through hollowmas, meh.” result regardless of one’s accomplishments?

[quote=potatao42]How far along should I be in the game before I can peruse the forums without asking questions all the time?[/quote]I think the answer is never. :)

After learning the basics and mechanics you will be amazed by the lore which is… incredible! But my advice is to not rush and take it slow!

EDIT: I sometimes regret rushing things and not tasting the game as I should have in the beginning.
edited by Skinnyman on 11/29/2018

I think asking questions never ends. It’s the same in Sunless Sea.
I for one am never doing any Exceptional story or festival without snooping around the forums first.

[quote=Skinnyman]
EDIT: I sometimes regret rushing things and not tasting the game as I should have in the beginning.[/quote]
That’s why you make an alt to re-experience Fallen London in a young, fresh body but an old, experienced mind. ;)

To repeat what others have said: probably never. The questions do change, though. After you’ve completed the major storylines you’ll be at a point where you understand the context (and sometimes subtext) of most of what we chat about. At that point, the questions become much more interesting, and sometimes unanswerable.

The good news is, we like questions! This forum is absolutely stuffed with people who are happy to answer any kind of question you might have when it comes to playing the game. When you’re at the point where the questions get harder and more interesting, well, pull up a chair, pour some of your preferred beverage, and we’ll chat about it until midnight like old friends. The general level of civilization around here is quite remarkable.

[quote=Vega][quote=Skinnyman]EDIT: I sometimes regret rushing things and not tasting the game as I should have in the beginning.[/quote]That’s why you make an alt to re-experience Fallen London in a young, fresh body but an old, experienced mind. ;)[/quote]It’s not the same, it’s not the same!

The first taste of Neath is unique!