Weekly Fallen London Questions, 27/11/2017

[quote=Miss Zhang]I am very new. I keep hearing that there are beneficial and detrimental social actions - which ones do people find the most helpful?[/quote] Anything that reduces menaces. These can be found at your lodgings. If you’re feeling particularly grateful, you can send someone a surprise package for ten echoes from the Give a Gift opportunity card. The detrimental social actions will explicitly state that this will harm the person you send the action to, so don’t worry about that. Welcome!

Due to certain… things… I decided it’s a great opportunity to raise Boatman’s Opponent to 40 and, while advancing, I came to a snippet about Marfellow (&quotWonderful work against Marfellow in the end-game&quot). Is there anything related to this guy in FL or what’s the deal?

I’m also having the icon problem described earlier.

Does anyone know anything about this year’s advent calendar?

Ooh! The advent calendar! I forgot all about that. It’s December already, isn’t it. I think the advent calendar is my favourite thing in Fallen London. It makes me feel like I’m a little kid again. :)

My question has been answered: The advent calendar is up!

Is there any way to block a person that annoys me by constantly sending me social actions I don’t want and re-adding itself to my contacts after I delete it?

I’ve been looking everywhere for the recently released Light Fingers content. Does it come through a card, or have I missed a storylet somewhere in the City?

If you’re talking about the recent email, that was referring to the content update that was released in September. No new Light Fingers content has been released since then.

If you still haven’t completed that content… the storylet was available everywhere in London. If you can’t see it, you may not be at the content boundary (which required dumping off a bunch of expensive items). Try zailing to Dr Vaughan’s encampment.

Thank you!

There’s a new icon by certain actions, the ones I’ve noticed usually have to do with SMEN. It looks like a pen and a letter. Does anyone know what it is?

Are they the kind you can turn down? Rejecting them repeatedly should really be enough to get the message across. If it doesn’t, you have the option to write in game and tell them outright not to contact you again. If that doesn’t work, and you feel seriously hassled, I’d write to FB. I am not aware of an option to block someone as a player.

Nothing like this has ever happened to me, though I have had invitations I do not want to act on. In that case, I tend to write a message in character, and if appropriate follow up with something pleasant or useful a little later (e.g. &quotno hard feelings&quot).

I hope you manage to sort this out; I can see how it could really impact on the game.

From a discussion elsewhere on the site, I gather it is not an icon proper, just a sign the browser doesn’t recognise the icon. I’m seeing it as well now after clearing my cache.

Cantigaster Venom - I can’t seem to find how to get into the Concord Square heist to obtain this?

In this step of A Name Whispered in Darkness, I can’t clearly remember any (if) reference about the Venom. Only one that pops in mind is the origin of this thing…

…after doing some investigations in the University.

To clarify - it’s from the Last Constable/Cheery Man showdown. I should have an option for a heist on the Vault of Impounded Contraband in Concord Square, but can’t find that option under heists in the Flit?

In this step of A Name Whispered in Darkness, I can’t clearly remember any (if) reference about the Venom. Only one that pops in mind is the origin of this thing…

…after doing some investigations in the University.

You might be in progress of doing another burglary in the flit, in which case you have to finish it first, and then sign up for the concord square again.

This is on the account setting page, under the contacts section:
Blocked Users
Receiving abusive messages via StoryNexus? Report the troublemaker at abuse@storynexus.com

From a discussion elsewhere on the site, I gather it is not an icon proper, just a sign the browser doesn’t recognise the icon. I’m seeing it as well now after clearing my cache.[/quote]

Technically: it’s implemented as a &quotletter&quot in a special font (like Wingdings). Browsers currently refuse to load the font, because the game’s css tries to load it from www.storynexus.com, but the game is on fallenlondon.storynexus.com (different url, www is not fallenlondon), and that’s a security violation.
Apparently, the best solution for this (configure www.storynexus.com to allow cross-origin requests from fallenlondon.storynexus.com) is impossible on AWS. The next best would be to make the css to load the font from fallenlondon.storynexus.com, where they already are accessible, so I don’t know why it’s not done that way.

A very specific question: I just got back from two weeks of inactivity due to some computer issues. Apart from the start of Sacksmas and a new Season of ESes, have I missed anything major?

Afraid not.