Weekly Fallen London Questions, 27/11/2017

That sounds like a horrible deal, unless it’s an uncapped increase, since Surmises cannot be ground but Connected: Masters very much can.

That sounds like a horrible deal, unless it’s an uncapped increase, since Surmises cannot be ground but Connected: Masters very much can.[/quote]The Surmise is not consumed, as far as I know, but merely unlocks the storylet.

The increases in Sacksmas are also usually uncapped.

I’m doing Bag a Legend rn and just got too New Newgate, Apparently I need candles, is there a way to get them there or am I gonna have to make a trip back? Is there anything else i’ll need so I don’t have to keep going back?

You do not lose the Surmise or the Violin. You do lose the First Sporing Wine, and you lose the Night Whispers and the Threnodies.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 11/29/2017

Also, a Semiotic Monocle is very helpful at Sackmas.

Speaking of Threnodies and Snow, how useful are they if I’m not aiming for a tattoo this year?

Not very. You’ll lose money if you’re after profit. The main non-Noman reason I can think of is if you want a dark carapaced crustacean, you may need to buy a few before you get a success.

Does the calling in favours in the Flit card really have standard frequency? I swear I don’t see it above once a month and because of my favours situation I always flip cards in the Flit these days. I casually noticed someone mentioning their keeping the &quotCall in favours in the Flit&quot card in their hand while they built up the favours to use it and was flabbergasted. I never get to do that. I see it so rarely that I always have seven Revolutionary favours and usually two to three cards that give them waiting in my hand to be used. It is becoming a little trying, to be honest.

So secondary question - Is there any other way to spend Revolutionary favours if your Dangerous is at the stat cap, and you don’t need any more Renown? Is there a conflict card? I certainly haven’t encountered it. I seem to have hit a bottleneck. I can’t accrue new Revs favours because I can’t seem to spend the ones I have, I almost always have seven. This Night isn’t going to liberate itself, you know.

The only other uses of Revolutionary Favours I can think of are up-converting Luminosity items (great for raising the Liberation as well) and raising Renown.

The conflict card is Amber in the Well - Revolutionaries/Rubbery Men
edited by reveurciel on 11/30/2017

Thanks. That’s interesting about the conflict card. I don’t remember ever getting that one. I ought to have seen it as I’ve had Rubs and Revs both at seven for a little while now. Hopefully it will pop up soon, as I’ve given up on ever seeing &quotCall in Favours in the Flit&quot again. It appears to have left me for good. I guess it was something I said… :)

Due to some Surface matters, I was away from Fallen London for quite a few weeks and now in the Season of Sceptres card, there is no branch to unlock the Sinking Synod. Is it too late?

You should have about 15 more minutes.

If you’re not interested in renown anymore it’s best to always have 5+ rubbery favours for rev (in case Flit card doesn’t pop), constable as it offers the best cash in and, why not, tomb favours.

[quote=Plynkes]Does the calling in favours in the Flit card really have standard frequency? I swear I don’t see it above once a month and because of my favours situation I always flip cards in the Flit these days. I casually noticed someone mentioning their keeping the &quotCall in favours in the Flit&quot card in their hand while they built up the favours to use it and was flabbergasted. I never get to do that. I see it so rarely that I always have seven Revolutionary favours and usually two to three cards that give them waiting in my hand to be used. It is becoming a little trying, to be honest.

So secondary question - Is there any other way to spend Revolutionary favours if your Dangerous is at the stat cap, and you don’t need any more Renown? Is there a conflict card? I certainly haven’t encountered it. I seem to have hit a bottleneck. I can’t accrue new Revs favours because I can’t seem to spend the ones I have, I almost always have seven. This Night isn’t going to liberate itself, you know.[/quote]

If you have access to the Empress’ Court, you can burn them off to raise your &quotInspired&quot quality. For those who DON’T want to advance the Liberation, this is probably the best bet in the late game when going for Laureate. For those who DO want to advance it, you’re better off upconverting unless you REALLY need those favours gone.

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I had forgotten about the whole up-converting business burning up favours, and I didn’t realise (or had also forgotten) that it advanced the Liberation of Night. I do want to advance it, I very much do. <cackling, maniacal laughter>

I currently have the odd graphical issue you describe, on Firefox at least. On Internet Explorer there is no problem. I’ve had this issue before, it went away after a couple of days (I guess they fixed it).

For whatever reason your browser isn’t allowing FL’s icon font, hence the boxes. The “cost” icon is a character in a font, rather than an image. It’s not a standard unicode one or anything either, so FL needs its custom font used to display it properly.

I’m experiencing the same thing, unfortunately.

It happens occasionally.

I currently have this in browser console after reloading with cache disabled:
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://www.storynexus.com/Content/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=3.0.1. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing). (unknown)
downloadable font: download failed (font-family: &quotFontAwesome&quot style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:1): bad URI or cross-site access not allowed source: http://www.storynexus.com/Content/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff?v=3.0.1 icons.css:24:11
Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://www.storynexus.com/Content/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=3.0.1. (Reason: CORS header ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ missing). (unknown)
downloadable font: download failed (font-family: &quotFontAwesome&quot style:normal weight:normal stretch:normal src index:2): bad URI or cross-site access not allowed source: http://www.storynexus.com/Content/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=3.0.1

Cross-origin requests are blocked because fallenlondon.storynexus.com and www.storynexus.com are not the same domain.
And those are the only two URLs defined for the font at this time.

IIRC, some people will still see the fonts &quotcorrectly&quot, because they have them cached.

ETA: in fact, if I use firefox dev console to change the urls in style from www.storynexus.com to fallenlondon.storynexus.com, the icons immediately show up. The font is available on both URLs.
edited by xKiv on 11/30/2017

I am very new. I keep hearing that there are beneficial and detrimental social actions - which ones do people find the most helpful?