Weekly Fallen London Questions, 21/01/2019

Here’s this week’s thread for quick questions! Not too quick, mind - ask them slow enough that we have time to answer. Moderately quick questions ONLY, please.
edited by Diptych on 1/26/2019

I’m having problems providing patronage services to my acolyte. I have Offering a Masterclass 1 – does that mean he/she has not yet taken up the previous class?

[quote=Meradine Heidenreich]I’m having problems providing patronage services to my acolyte. I have Offering a Masterclass 1 – does that mean he/she has not yet taken up the previous class?[/quote]Yes.

So, I had a terrible accident at zee and lost all my Austere. Don’t ask. Apart from the God’s editor club and the conflict card, are there any ways to get it back a bit fast, after I am back from trading ballets to tigers?

There’s the Sedan card as well.

As well as disgraceful exile, I guess, if you are willing to spend two days in Vederbight…

Why not just give into the pleasures? ;)
The fastest way I know of obtaining Austere is going with a fair few wounds to the Iron Republic and doing the loop a few times.

I am about to create a noman for 15 ToL. But do I need 16 ToL so that I’ll still have one left over to be able to raise ToL, afterwards?

If you have Pails of Snow, you can use those to increase ToL without restriction. You need ToL to use Tears. You also need ToL to buy Pails from the Urchin, which is usually the bigger concern because that can lock you out of Pails and ToL altogether, but the Urchins have stopped selling so that’s a moot point right now.

If you have Pails of Snow, you can use those to increase ToL without restriction. You need ToL to use Tears. You also need ToL to buy Pails from the Urchin, which is usually the bigger concern because that can lock you out of Pails and ToL altogether, but the Urchins have stopped selling so that’s a moot point right now.[/quote]

Great, thanks. I had some memory of buggering it up for myself last year, but I think it was because I used up all my pails.

I’min the final steps of Acquiring a Salon, and I have to ask this.

When it says you can convert upfrom 800 Stolen Correspondence and 1 Great Game Favour, is that Bulk Conversions only?

My TTH is Thursday late night, how much Noman’s Friend should I aim for to survive until the tattoo? I’m at 406 right now, with 6 ToL, 4 Pails and 2 Tears left. I was thinking if Lilac appears on the 11th, there’s only two TTHs to survive, 31st and 7th. In the worst case, with Lilac only coming on the 18th, that’s still just 3 meltings, which should be amply covered by the current amount. But then I’ve read horror stories about how much FBG jacked up the melting rate in recent years, so I’m honestly lost.

[quote=Deathjack999]I’min the final steps of Acquiring a Salon, and I have to ask this.

When it says you can convert upfrom 800 Stolen Correspondence and 1 Great Game Favour, is that Bulk Conversions only?[/quote]

Stolen Correspondence upconversions shouldn’t need GG Favours at all; what are you looking for?

By my estimations, you should be fine unless you’re really unlucky and they increase the melt rate substantially, but you could still use your remaining pails just in case.

[quote=SamNorrey]My TTH is Thursday late night, how much Noman’s Friend should I aim for to survive until the tattoo? I’m at 406 right now, with 6 ToL, 4 Pails and 2 Tears left. I was thinking if Lilac appears on the 11th, there’s only two TTHs to survive, 31st and 7th. In the worst case, with Lilac only coming on the 18th, that’s still just 3 meltings, which should be amply covered by the current amount. But then I’ve read horror stories about how much FBG jacked up the melting rate in recent years, so I’m honestly lost.[/quote]You’ll be fine with that amount. Even if you hit the max melting amount for the next three weeks, you’d lose 320 NF.

And I often see a lot of people worrying about melt rates rising in recent years, so I’d like to set the record straight. It’s not that it jumps a lot from year to year. In fact, it’s remained almost exactly the same for 2017, 2018, and 2019. 2016 was the year that they tried to raise the melt rate, since the original melt rates were honestly too low for it to be too much of a challenge. A lot of people were quite upset.

FB rescinded the change since so many people were caught off-guard/upset/vocally angry. So the first three weeks of melting in February 2016 were actually lower than they really should have been, had the raise been left implemented. Come 2017, the raise was finally implemented as it had been planned for 2016. Since then, the &quotweekly&quot rates have been more or less the same. Sure, there’s a chance that they’ll raise rates again, but that hasn’t been the case and I don’t see it happening this year at least.

As a note: I’ve collected and analyzed all of the publicly shared data for the last five years. I’ve posted it in a google sheets page for viewing in case there’s interest.

[i]edited by idyl on 1/26/2019[/i]

What year is it?

[quote=Optimatum][quote=Deathjack999]I’min the final steps of Acquiring a Salon, and I have to ask this.

When it says you can convert upfrom 800 Stolen Correspondence and 1 Great Game Favour, is that Bulk Conversions only?[/quote]

Stolen Correspondence upconversions shouldn’t need GG Favours at all; what are you looking for?[/quote]

At the time I was turning 800 Stolen Correspondances into a single Personal Recommendation (I needed 2 for my Salon so I just doubled the amount of SCs to 1600), for that the Wiki recommended making all of them into Intriguing Snippets, making 250 of those into 105 Compromising Docs and then turning 50 Docs into 10 Stolen Kisses with 1 GG Favour

Now I have the two I needed I’m just waiting for the RNG to fart out a card that will give me the last thing it needs (I’m off on the Society Favours by 1)

Edit: nvm I finally have my Salon.
edited by Deathjack999 on 1/26/2019
edited by Deathjack999 on 1/26/2019

Is it safe to leave London with my Noman alive?

It is, though make sure you’ve used any Pails first just in case.

[quote=Arcengal]What year is it?[/quote]1897, precisely! :)