Weekly Fallen London Questions, 17/12/2018

My spouse has become inactive and I want to divorce him so I can pursue another player instead, but the divorce option requires a response from him? Is there a way to do this that doesn’t require a response from the other player that I’m missing??
This is the whole reason I want to divorce him in the first place! He hasn’t played the game in 4 months now…
Danke,
Lady Legion
edited by LostLegion on 12/23/2018

If you pay the Ambitious Barrister or Baseborn and Fowlingpiece to handle the divorce (it takes 10 actions and a few Echoes, I believe), it should be automatic.

While I have a worrying suspicion I know the answer already, was it ever clarified what souls actually get stained by (or with) when Seeking?

EDIT: It appears that I have misunderstood the purpose and function of the Journal. Looking at those of other players, it appears that it is an automatic function of the game (taken from my adventures). Although curiously, I cannot see the entries it creates.

If that is the case, kindly disregard. (Original post to follow)

My pardons if this is the incorrect place to pose this question. I am a freshly minted player, less than 48 hours old. I’m attempting to chronicle my adventures in my journal and I’m encountering some difficulty. I click on the “Myself” tab, and then “view my journal”. I see two buttons which open up calendar date selection screens. I can’t find anywhere to actually write any of my own text (unlike the “What do people say” button). Am I doing something wrong, or am in the wrong place?

As far as browsers, I’ve tried Safari and Chrome.
edited by MSawall on 12/24/2018

[quote=Moran Sawall]EDIT: It appears that I have misunderstood the purpose and function of the Journal. Looking at those of other players, it appears that it is an automatic function of the game (taken from my adventures). Although curiously, I cannot see the entries it creates.

If that is the case, kindly disregard. (Original post to follow)

My pardons if this is the incorrect place to pose this question. I am a freshly minted player, less than 48 hours old. I’m attempting to chronicle my adventures in my journal and I’m encountering some difficulty. I click on the “Myself” tab, and then “view my journal”. I see two buttons which open up calendar date selection screens. I can’t find anywhere to actually write any of my own text (unlike the “What do people say” button). Am I doing something wrong, or am in the wrong place?

As far as browsers, I’ve tried Safari and Chrome.
edited by MSawall on 12/24/2018[/quote]
The content of the journal is automatic. You can’t edit anything except the title. However, you have to actively do something for a piece of game content to become journaled. When you enter a storylet, and when you take an action, in the upper-right there should be a teal icon with a pencil. This will put the game text into your journal.

[quote=PSGarak]
The content of the journal is automatic. You can’t edit anything except the title. However, you have to actively do something for a piece of game content to become journaled. When you enter a storylet, and when you take an action, in the upper-right there should be a teal icon with a pencil. This will put the game text into your journal.[/quote]

Ah, bless you Garak! That explains things nicely. I wish it had been clearer from the start, I’d like to have chronicled my first adventures, but thank you for explaining it to me.

(New Player) Is there any general advice on what to sell and not to sell? I find myself unwilling to part with most things, for fear I’ll need them to unlock some future content.

Is there a general guideline, or rule-of-thumb?
edited by MSawall on 12/24/2018

If you have only one of something, hold onto it. If you have hundreds, it’s probably safe to sell.

The thing about starting out is that you’ll eventually probably need more of everything than you have now. Those one penny goods like rostygold and jade? There will be times that you’ll want them in bulk. Later you won’t want them, and it’ll also be easier to get more, but you’ll need to have large amounts between now and then. Exactly what you mean by new determines what you’re likely to have and which things you can most easily give up for cash.

The other rule of thumb I have is that it’s rarely necessary or even particularly useful to liquidate items for echoes, especially early on. You don’t need the stats that much. Some of the very cheap gear is decent, and some of the very expensive gear is worth having much later, but there are a lot of things that cost up to hundreds of echoes that you’ll probably never want.

Christmas card sending not working for me on an alt right now… anyone else having issues, or just me?

[quote=Azothi]If you pay the Ambitious Barrister or Baseborn and Fowlingpiece to handle the divorce (it takes 10 actions and a few Echoes, I believe), it should be automatic.[/quote]Combining actions and materials, it’s cheaper (for two players) than the other option.

[/i]

EDIT: Seems I am having problems with some social actions. I can’t decline a calling card invitation which I can’t accept (sender is not elligible) and I see I can’t ask for Scandal reduction.

Getting 504 response which is a timeout.

Sent a support ticket as well.

EDIT #2: The problem seems to be my big number of contacts which is around 200; 100 would be ideal.

Now a question: As I lost a point of Notability because my patronage was withdrew, I ask: how can I end my collaboration with another ex-patron? :) Been so long I even forgot about this aspect of the game!
edited by Skinnyman on 12/24/2018

Just to chime in, I’m also unable to send or accept Social Actions.

Well, it seems to have resolved itself for me, temporary glitch! Ill send back a Christmas card to skinnyman when I get time the healer tomorrow

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=Azothi]If you pay the Ambitious Barrister or Baseborn and Fowlingpiece to handle the divorce (it takes 10 actions and a few Echoes, I believe), it should be automatic.[/quote]Combining actions and materials, it’s cheaper (for two players) than the other option.

[/i]

EDIT: Seems I am having problems with some social actions. I can’t decline a calling card invitation which I can’t accept (sender is not elligible) and I see I can’t ask for Scandal reduction.

EDIT #2: The problem seems to be my big number of contacts which is around 200; 100 would be ideal.

Now a question: As I lost a point of Notability because my patronage was withdrew, I ask: how can I end my collaboration with another ex-patron? :) Been so long I even forgot about this aspect of the game!
edited by Skinnyman on 12/24/2018[/quote]

[quote=Skinnyman][quote=Azothi]If you pay the Ambitious Barrister or Baseborn and Fowlingpiece to handle the divorce (it takes 10 actions and a few Echoes, I believe), it should be automatic.[/quote]Combining actions and materials, it’s cheaper (for two players) than the other option.

[/i]

edited by Skinnyman on 12/24/2018[/quote]

I too have had problems today with sending Christmas cards, and I too have, and have had, problems with certain social actions and was told (by FBG reps) that it is because I have a large number of contacts (over 200).

However, I didn’t have this particular problem with sending Christmas cards before today, so I’m wondering what’s up.