Weekly Fallen London Questions, 13/11/2017

[quote=Optimatum]You might want to get a Long-Box if you don’t have one, but they have very little use.[/quote]The two halves of this sentence seem to be in disagreement - is a Long-Box good to have for Sacksmas? What might someone be able to use it for?

[quote=Optimatum]Aside from that just make sure you have everything to optimize the Twelve Days cards, I guess.[/quote]I’m interested in making these preparations while avoiding learning the 12 days’ story content ahead of time. Is there someplace where I could see all of the mechanical options (e.g. costs and rewards of each day’s options) other than the wikia?

[quote=Optimatum]Though it’s worth noting that buying a Noman on the first day costs only 3 ToL, and playing through its story gives an Elemental Secret.[/quote]Are there any costs to &quotplaying through its story&quot beyond the first 3 ToL? Can we just start a Noman, wait for it die, and collect an Elemental Secret?

Popping the noman requires you spend a bunch of quirks. It takes 40-60 draws of its card and an equal number of actions to spend on quirk reduction options. It’s possible to draw the card that many times since its ubiquitous, and some options give 2 cp while others give 3.

The Long-Box can be obtained at Sackmas, not that it’s needed for Sackmas, but they are mostly decorative. For a certain value of decorative…
edited by theonie on 11/18/2017
edited by theonie on 11/18/2017

Sorry, I phrased things a little badly. You might want to get a Long-Box during Sacksmas (for 5 ToL), but its only use outside completionism is unlocking something in Sunless Sea.

There’s a guide somewhere on the forum, but I’m not sure whether it has spoilers, so I’ll just list the mechanically best options here. Do you know how to optimize ToL gain?

• Day 1: One Greyfields 1868 First Sporing or 100 Honey for 1 CP C: Masters[/li][li]Day 2: Have a Consonant Violin or spend one Greyfields 1868 First Sporing for 1 CP C: Masters and 1 ToL[/li][li]Day 3: One Magnificent Diamond for 1 CP C: Masters[/li][li]Day 4: No rewards, but you can choose to spend Fate to investigate with a faction, adding extra options on either two days, or one day and in Penstock’s Wicket. (I won’t include those here.) Each ends with a 62.5 or 312.5 echo item. Notably, helping the Duchess gives Cantigaster Venom.[/li][li]Day 5: Spend 10 CP of Is Someone There? for 1 CP C: Masters. (You need at least level 5.) Alternatively, be identified with the Celestials for 1 ToL.[/li][li]Day 6: A Copy of your Patriotic Adventure or 10 Touching Love Stories for 1 CP C: Masters.[/li][li]Day 7: Say it is peaceful for 1 CP C: Masters, or be identified with the Bazaarines for 1-2 CP C: Masters and other rewards. Various of the options increase some Favours and remove others.[/li][li]Day 8: Invite him in for 1 ToL, or if you’re already acquainted, invite him in for 1 ToL plus other rewards.[/li][li]Day 9: Accept Hearts and Lights for an Unusual Pail of So-Called Snow. Alternatively, begin Seeking or continue Seeking. Alternatively alternatively, use a Peculiar Personal Enhancement for rewards I forget (and special text).[/li][li]Day 10: Give a Storm-Threnody for Parabola-Linen.[/li][li]Day 11: Be a Notary or Doctor for 1 ToL and a Primeval Hint, or have a tier 1-3 profession for 1 CP C: Masters, or trade a Skyglass Knife and Mourning Candle for assorted items.[/li][li]Day 12: Help for 3 CP C: Masters or steal for many items, a pail of snow, 1 ToL, and -1 CP C: Masters.

As Kaijyuu notes, you need to raise Noman’s Friend to 15 for that. You can spend quirks, or use Ambition-related options that cost more actions but give a few items.

I hope there will be some more options for those of us who got all the residences before! Still Sackmass is my favorite.

Question about Christmas preparations: What is The Noman actually good for in the long run?

Right now I’m considering how much time should I spend in preparation for (my first Neathly) christmas. I definitelly want a 5-card lodgins, maybe even two of those. And then there is The Noman. I’ve searched the wiki, but honestly, I failed to find any advantages it can provide that would last after the event ends. I guess the fun one can have with this short-living friend can be worth it, but I’m not sure I’m willing to grind the aditional resources just for that.

But then again, I have a strong suspicion I’ve missed something.

Well the noman comes with a story that’s all about not getting anything in the long run. So there’s that.

Playing through the Noman’s story gets you an Elemental Secret, so that’s nice. Or you can use it in SMEN, or invest lots of resources to keep it alive until the Feast for a special quality.

Also you should probably get a Remote Address in addition to a five-card lodging.

[quote=Optimatum]Playing through the Noman’s story gets you an Elemental Secret, so that’s nice. Or you can use it in SMEN, or invest lots of resources to keep it alive until the Feast for a special quality.

Also you should probably get a Remote Address in addition to a five-card lodging.[/quote]

Well, I already have a Remote Address from one of the early Exceptional Stories which suits my character nicely, so I’m of little need of that.

So let’s say I’d like to to get two of the 5-cards lodgins AND keep the noman alive until the Feast, how many Night Whispers/Threnodies I need to hoard? Is that even plausible?

I already have the Dreadful Surmise and Semiotic Monocle prepared and I am waiting for church favours to get the Tears.

Speaking of the special Noman quality, is it possible to get it twice? Or is the grind a one-time thing?

It at least was possible to get it twice, I’m not sure if this is a guarantee this year.

Just how bad an idea is it to add Mr. Eaten to your contacts?

He won’t actually do anything, so you’re fine. :)

(He did something once. SMEN was removed from the game as a result. The drowned man slumbers tonight. He shall not wake, for he must not wake)
edited by suinicide on 11/18/2017

I’m vaguely hoping that he’ll like me enough that I can join in a reckoning someday, for all that I don’t dare go Seeking.

I didn’t know you could do that! My Seeker invited him to Coffee at Caligula’s! (Sadly, he wasn’t available for dinner invitations.)

You can definitely do it.

Only thing I’m missing is the magnificent diamond, which seems to have very few reliable ways of obtaining.

Both expeditions and beating up the minister are pretty reliable given that you have almost two months to get it. But if you want a guaranteed diamond then the Ballustraded House heist is the way to go.

It’s really, really not. Preparing for the Noman tattoo on its own typically takes most of a year at least. And the cost goes up each year.

You can buy diamonds from Empire Adornments in the Sidestreets. There’s a 5% rare success that gives a Magnificent Diamond. If you already have Cryptic Clues the whole thing’s quite profitable, about 2.01 EPA expected value.