Weekly Fallen London Questions, 11/09/2017

Here’s this week’s thread for quick questions!

According to this guide and the thread linked there, a place called &quotTanah-Chook&quot sounds rather interesting… suspiciously eyes OP

Is that Story (&quotAll Things Must End&quot) still available somehow?
And, generally, is that guide considered up-to-date, and/or does anyone have other recommendations regarding making money?

I seem to be reaching the point where that becomes a significant part of the game, and I’d rather research thoroughly and do it right. I’ve been mostly doing the fidgeting writer so far, but that worked particularly well because I used a lot of the second-to-last step items for various POSI Items, anyways, and didn’t need to grind for the conversion items so far.

That guide seems pretty reliable. And the end of all things should become available for purchase eventually. (And yes, the mod used mod powers to create a FL place). (Aka backed at a high level in a KS)

Note that Tanah-Chook is a zailing destination, which puts some overhead on the profitability.

I recommend going into the story blind for the content, but afterwards the analysis of profitability can be found here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24682-a-visitors-guide-to-tanahchook.aspx

Thanks for the answers! I’ll keep an eye out for it to appear on the fate page, then.

One other question: Is it true that one doesn’t get a criminal record for failing to rob the brass embassy? I would like to make the acquaintance of the repentant forger, but keep my criminal record nonexistant. The only options I knew of so far was having connected: the masters 5 or a certain rather hungry path…

There is option in the &quotGold frame, black painting&quot card &quotMeet a Repentant Forger - and ask him to look it over&quot (22 FATE). So you can skip a prison part. If you already know Forger price is 19
edited by Waterpls on 9/11/2017

[quote=Achanei]Thanks for the answers! I’ll keep an eye out for it to appear on the fate page, then.

One other question: Is it true that one doesn’t get a criminal record for failing to rob the brass embassy? I would like to make the acquaintance of the repentant forger, but keep my criminal record nonexistant. The only options I knew of so far was having connected: the masters 5 or a certain rather hungry path…[/quote]
Yes, failing to rob the brass embassy will whisk you away to prison without adding to your criminal record. This is specifically the Brass Embassy; the other Big Score targets will add to your record.
edited by Pumpkinhead on 9/11/2017

Prison is also rather fun if you go there after a failed Brass Embassy robbery (since the attempt requires low suspicion and doesn’t raise it all that much, you’ll be out before it gets boring). Cards in prison can’t be discarded, so make sure to have some Suspicion-raising equipment on hand if you have bad luck meeting the Forger.

Just at the Pathfinder level - Tanah-Chook was nothing more than an unremarkable islet off the coast of Venderbight, with no story of its own, until Failbetter very kindly chose it to host an offshoot Tomb-Colony for the Exceptional Story!

Horsehead Amulets work in succession, right? So if I have 9 of them, I can heal up to 72 cp of wounds before going to the Boat?

Regarding the story with the Regretful Soldier in the House of Chimes, and a detail in Five Minutes to Midday:

[spoiler]Is the devil who runs the slave-rowed trireme in the dream ever named?

Also, in Five Minutes to Midday, is the bearded devil whose bust is in the Embassy’s museum ever named?[/spoiler]

I’m not sure about the second question, but I believe the first answer is:

Not a devil, but Feducci. He specifically requested that position after helping Hell with their revolution.

Holy ****. I never would have guessed that.

Not sure. There could be some triremes, and it could have been before the posting of Feducci to that role

[spoiler]There’s an option in the dream to speak with the helmsman which reveals that it is indeed Feducci.

Another fun fact: Feducci is still in league with the Embassy, to an extent. Their collusion can be observed here, from the Foreign Office carousel ending unlocked by siding with the Teeth in the Fate-locked Mysteries of the Foreign Office.[/spoiler]

[quote=Anchovies][spoiler]There’s an option in the dream to speak with the helmsman which reveals that it is indeed Feducci.

Another fun fact: Feducci is still in league with the Embassy, to an extent. Their collusion can be observed here, from the Foreign Office carousel ending unlocked by siding with the Teeth in the Fate-locked Mysteries of the Foreign Office.[/spoiler][/quote]

In case you are not aware: links inside spoiler tags don’t work–they simply re-close the spoiler box. If there is a way to use a link inside a spolier box, I am not aware of it.

you need to use right-click &quotopen in a new card&quot instead of simply clicking the link

you need to use right-click &quotopen in a new card&quot instead of simply clicking the link[/quote]

Thanks, gronostaj! On my system it’s &quotopen in a new window&quot but the nature of the task is clear enough.

Middle-click also works, if you’re using a mouse with a scroll wheel. I actually wasn’t aware that spoiler tags and links didn’t behave very well - good to know.

[quote=Anchovies][spoiler]There’s an option in the dream to speak with the helmsman which reveals that it is indeed Feducci.

Another fun fact: Feducci is still in league with the Embassy, to an extent. Their collusion can be observed here, from the Foreign Office carousel ending unlocked by siding with the Teeth in the Fate-locked Mysteries of the Foreign Office.[/spoiler][/quote]

Thank you. That’s very helpful. Did you happen to have an echo of the conversation with the helmsman as well?