Visitors at Hallowmass

I’m kind of new to the forums, so I have no idea if this is the right place for this, but I think it would be good if there was a place for people to post the bits of story you get from receiving Hallowmass visitors, and also the &quotglimpses of a possible future&quot when they come out.[li]

I’d advise checking the wikis for that.

Well, I expect (and hope) we’ll be pointed to one or the other journal entry to peruse all the options one couldn’t choose for themselves. As useful as the wikis are, when it comes to the complete narrative they are getting less useful with every change in content policy…

Well, as far as journals go, Sir Fred’s gone with the Presbyrate Adventuress, Hubris with the Special Constable, Juniper with the Genial Magician and Esther with the Haunted Doctor, and they have and will continue to record every new bit of content they experience.

Thanks; this covers some bases my two characters can’t cover.

So far, my alt has been visited by the Lieutenant, the Poissonier, the Special Constable, and the Rubbery Man, and my main character has been visited by the Bishop. Neither character meets the prerequisite to allow a visit by the Magician. I think I’ll have the main character stick with the Bishop for thematic reasons, though my alt has not yet made a final decision.

I’ve yet to draw this card even ONCE, and I’m keeping my nightmares and making waves at 5+ and flipping cards constantly throughout the day.

Just keep trying - I drew it twice the first day, but I still have to see it since. RNG seems particularly fickle with these one - oh, who I’m fooling. RNG is ALWAYS this fickle XD

(Oh hi! Long time no see ^^)

I’ve chosen the Bishop and echoed the result; I will echo the glimpse at of future when it comes.

Also remember that Alexis and the team aren’t partial to people publicly posting the exact results of game actions for justified reasons, so, for the same reason the wiki is changing, compiling an online literal list of outcomes isn’t much of a possibility and likely will be edited out if posted here on the forums.

I find the constraint on the wiki sad. It was browsing the wiki and saying ‘Wow, this stuff is pretty amazing’ that convinced me to join. I mean, some online friends had told me about the site, but your friends tell you about all sorts of things they play. I personally gauge interest by browsing whatever online information I can find about the game, and then deciding whether or not I’m intrigued. Without storylets to follow… well, there’s no comprehensive wiki about the site, about the factions and races and such. There’s nothing else to find but the storylets. Remove that, and where’s the interest hook?

I mean, not everyone works like me, but if I hadn’t found the wiki, I probably would have just gone about my way.

Yeah, it’s a crying shame. The whole of Fallen London is about solving mysteries, and if you can’t go look back at things you’ve already done, that’s working against the very essence of the game. If the Journals actually worked in a decent manner, gutting the wiki wouldn’t be so terrible, but as it is, it’s a horrible move.

It’s a shame, but I am sympathetic about the pressures a small studio faces in protecting its legal rights to its content. Upgrading the journal system would be the logical step to take alongside restricting the wiki - but it’s also one of those changes that’s going to take a lot of work and will only be noticed and appreciated by a limited percentage of players. Plus, I expect they’re flat out with Sunless Sea plus regular Fallen London content, which is going to be their bread and butter. So, we must compromise and try to make the best of it. And now I want some bread and butter.

Oh, yes. I can’t blame them for it, either - in a text-based game, text is really all there is, so I can see why they wouldn’t want to have the entire story put up somewhere. I’m just rather saddened by it.

While I understand why this has happened, I expect it to seriously diminish my enjoyment of the game. People play Fallen London for different reasons. Like some others, I’m mostly in this for the mysteries. For those who mostly use the wiki for advice on gameplay or grinding, the quotations don’t much matter. But for the sort of speculation which has kept me engaged, they’re basically indispensable.

As Saharan said, this wouldn’t be an issue if our journals were a viable way of organising information. Unfortunately they aren’t, and it doesn’t look like that will change any time soon.

I don’t really have any suggestions, but wanted to express my sincere regret.
edited by Flyte on 10/30/2013

Given people jiggled free fate to back Sunless Sea, and most of us were surprised someone would do that, I think we can assume we’d be being naive to think people wouldn’t just read the wiki, were it to fully replicate the game content.

I’m surprised there’s any wiki at all, but I guess they’re doing the best they can to balance allowing it vs going out of business.

[quote]Given people jiggled free fate to back Sunless Sea, and most of us were surprised someone would do that, I think we can assume we’d be being naive to think people wouldn’t just read the wiki, were it to fully replicate the game content.[/quote]If that were the reason for the change we could solicit analytics from the wiki admins and debate the relevance of Fate farming and argue about whether Fallen London’s art and interface and gameplay are really so uncompelling that people would rather read a wiki – but it isn’t, so that probably wouldn’t be a good use of time.

As I said, I understand. I don’t know what else Failbetter could or should have done; if I did, I’d have said so. But for me, the best part of Fallen London is taking time now and then to think about its mysteries, test my ideas against the text, and then discuss them with others. This game grows slowly, like coral; I forget things. The wiki helped with that. Without it I couldn’t have written some of my posts on this forum, some of which some others seem to have enjoyed. This seemed to me worth saying, even if, as it appears, there’s nothing to be done.

I can imagine a journal system which supported and encouraged my style of play. But right now, Failbetter has other commitments, and when those are met I suspect that, reasonably enough, they’ll spend their time on something with surer prospects of increased revenue.

Oh, I wasn’t meaning that was the reason - I was just meaning that … people behave in ways inconceivable to us. And while something seems obvious and lovely to us (agree, AGREE) … most probably don’t consider beyond the interface to the meat-sacks with needs behind it.

Given people jiggled free fate to back Sunless Sea, and most of us were surprised someone would do that, I think we can assume we’d be being naive to think people wouldn’t just read the wiki, were it to fully replicate the game content.

I’m surprised there’s any wiki at all, but I guess they’re doing the best they can to balance allowing it vs going out of business.[/quote]
Reading something on the wiki and actually doing it with your character isn’t the same thing, though. If anything, it gives me experiences and things to look forward to - or it lets me see stories that my choices have eclipsed and made impossible to obtain.

But what’s done is done, I guess. This was hardly a snap decision - they’ve thought about all of the angles, I’d imagine.

One thing I would love to see is a separate wiki - one that didn’t have storylets and in-game text, but just compiled basic information about Fallen London. The races, the factions, the areas. Common knowledge only - I imagine they wouldn’t want more spoilered things up, if at all. Just something you could go and look at - like ‘hey, what’s the deal with spirifers’, and find a page on them. Or something. I’d happily write for such a thing if it existed, especially when I’m on a break from college. But at this rate, I’m honestly not sure how much information Failbetter wants out there, at all.
edited by Laluzi on 10/30/2013

Slight change of topic within this topic – I agree about wishing we could get access to more text via the wiki or searchable or threaded journals. But. I don’t think I have anything I can add to that discussion.

What I wanted to say was that I’m feeling my first self/character conflict via Hallowmass, which is neat. Otaara has mostly seemed like a version of me with fewer logistical problems in her life, but she let in the Rubbery Man, so she’s lined up for the abyssal future, and I can’t bring myself to change it for her, even though, personally, I so want whatever’s in the jewelled future with fresh wild scents and hiking up toward clifftops and pretty sparkly things. The abyssal one fits her better, though; she’s silent in places where I’m talkative and dark in places where I’m colorful, and while I, personally, like Rubbery Men very much because I’m a softie for marginalized weirdos of all sorts, she seems to have developed a more merciless kinship with them. I didn’t even notice it happening til I considered the Gates of Midnight option. It was cool to see that happening.

[quote=Victoria ]Slight change of topic within this topic – I agree about wishing we could get access to more text via the wiki or searchable or threaded journals. But. I don’t think I have anything I can add to that discussion.

What I wanted to say was that I’m feeling my first self/character conflict via Hallowmass, which is neat. Otaara has mostly seemed like a version of me with fewer logistical problems in her life, but she let in the Rubbery Man, so she’s lined up for the abyssal future, and I can’t bring myself to change it for her, even though, personally, I so want whatever’s in the jewelled future with fresh wild scents and hiking up toward clifftops and pretty sparkly things. The abyssal one fits her better, though; she’s silent in places where I’m talkative and dark in places where I’m colorful, and while I, personally, like Rubbery Men very much because I’m a softie for marginalized weirdos of all sorts, she seems to have developed a more merciless kinship with them. I didn’t even notice it happening til I considered the Gates of Midnight option. It was cool to see that happening.[/quote]

OK, my two cents - it is interesting to have characters differing from the players, if only to explore behaviors and decisions we wouldn’t normally make. But in the end it is the player who plays, not the character, so it is usually better to choose the option that the player likes most, than the one more suited to the character. That doesn’t mean to abandon character devlopment completely; only to manage to incorporate your favorite outcome into your character’s choices.

Case in object: the Jewelled future comes from the Possible future: A blaze of light. That comes from a Navy lieutenant looking for you after a hunch from your past benefactor. So it is quite easily incorporable in any character’s background, making perfect sense despite any Rubbery propension your character would have.

I had a similar conflict - My character is quite the scholar and well versed in Prelapsarian Archaeology, so the most logical choice would have been trying to find something connected to the Fallen Cities. But I as a player am intrigued by the Fingerkings since the Connected pets and the introduction of the Touched by Fingerwork quality, starting with the burning curiosity to discover what &quotfingerwork&quot exactly meant at all. So I just went for it ^^ I’m not 100% sure it will be the most interesting future, mind you, and I COULD change my mind if the occasion rises - but if it will be, it will be because of my own tastes, and not those of the formidable mr. Wesley Miller, AKA Blue the Licentious Poet XD

RNG being fickle or no, this seems to be about on par with a super-rare, which is quite frustrating for something that is only available for a limited time.

I am starting to wonder if there is some other pre-requisite I am missing. Do I need to have 10 fate on hand? A nightmares of precisely 5, not 6? Making Waves kept below a certain amount?