Virginia's Hidden Plan: A Discussion

Frankly, I think there’s an argument that all three candidates want to save London from peril re: the Sixth City. The argument lies in the fact that all three women are vague about what they are doing for the City–which is appropriate if, to achieve their purpose, they are seeking to dissemble what they really plan on doing.

[ul][li]Virginia, claiming to intend to build a spa and further her intellectual interests in the Fourth Quarter (while rebuilding a broken ward?)[/li][li]Madame Shoshana, babbling about Love being the key without giving any further details as to how she will increase Love in Fallen London;[/li][li]Miriam Plenty, talking about having Constables under her control, possibly as a tool to foil the plans of the Masters for bringing down the Sixth City. [/li][/ul][spoiler] So it appears that Mrs. Plenty is thinking of frustrating the Masters with physical force. (Not impossible; in The Silver Tree it proved possible to take a Master captive. What couldn’t one do with enough trained men?) Madame Shoshona appears to be thinking in terms of working with the Masters, to increase Love, and thus the number of love stories in the City, and keep the Bazaar satisfied.

But what is Virginia doing? And why does she need to be Mayor to do it? She certainly can command lots of resources–the doctors of Fallen London appear to be on her side. She could build a spa – or rebuild a ward–without being part of government. Perhaps that’s why Hell isn’t supporting Virginia’s campaign–to give the impression that it does not approve of what she’s really trying to do. [ /spoiler]

[quote=Agastya Rai]Sadly, even if this is true, there is no stopping the next fall, whether it be Shoshona or Virginia. &quotThe fifth’s tales may exalt the suns, but may never hope to halt what comes.&quot (FL Advent Calendar)[/quote]Agreed, to an extent. That’s the point, really. The threat is premature destruction: accelerating the Fall of the Sixth by removing London from the equation.

I think of it this way: we all are going to die, one way or another. That’s inevitable. So why do we exercise? Why do we eat healthily? Why do we try not to fall ill? None of that will keep us alive, in the end. But it can prolong the end. It can keep us in shape and functioning for longer. We can spend more time with those we care about; we can live happier, healthier lives because of it. That’s the way I see it. We may never hope to halt what comes, but we can still fight against it, and we can live our best lives along the way.

[quote=Azothi]
I think of it this way: we all are going to die, one way or another. That’s inevitable.[/quote]
This phrase is just a little bit weaker than it usually is in a world where Hesperadian Cider exists though. :P

[quote=Calliope ][quote=Azothi]
I think of it this way: we all are going to die, one way or another. That’s inevitable.[/quote]
This phrase is just a little bit weaker than it usually is in a world where Hesperadian Cider exists though. :P[/quote]Fair enough (speaking as a character with that), but I mean it in a broader philosophical sense. Just because doom is inevitable doesn’t mean that it’s not worth living life.

(And even for those with the Cider, there has to be an end somewhere, when this universe comes to an end; after we’ve outlasted light and law.)

Cattherine ;:

AS to ::
Madame Shoshana, babbling about Love being the key without giving any further details as to how she will increase Love in Fallen London

i’ve posted to these threads about my &quotcollaborating&quot with mme Shoshana - esp. – via her &quotRomantic Predictions&quot - which serve to raise my Fascination quality - to as much as 20, before … This quality represents one’s attraction to an interested partner for passion … She uses her Tarot for these mesmericly justified ‘Romantic Predictions’ - except for ‘Rare Successes’, which appear in her crystal ball . . . NOW, she has gifted the city with pervasive subtlety of Tarot-deck-gloves . . . Future Lessons / Cards MAY teach the public this tantric trick, yet.

So, basicly, madame can guarantee one will succeed at matters of Amour - and may be about to share how, with all of London!

(am ubderslept - pardon sloppy style, pls)
Also - please see my use of the tarot - as linked to my journal notes - in the Threads for Election items, and for Shoshana debate - and in the one on all candidates before it . . . In which i throw my first tarot reading for the ccurrent mayor & have him say a justification for the cards enhancing qualities - as well as the &quotShepardess&quot interpretation … ((too tired, ack seizing, or i’d link it here, sorry …Ouch…))

Drazzle Psmyth for the Shy Sphynx
edited by Doctor_Static on 7/29/2019

Shoshana is more well positioned to create love stories because of her occupation I think. People come to her to find answers in matters of the heart, so she can guide them (perhaps the meaning of the Shepherd card?) towards burning romances.
If that doesn’t work, she probably plans to have us do as the Rosers did.

“there has to be an end somewhere, when this universe comes to an end; after we’ve outlasted light and law.”
I would argue that the whole point of outlasting law is that it would obviate the need for any kind of end.

I am partial to the theory that the only currency that matters (and that London is almost out of) is time.

Oh what a shame. Looks like Virginia indeed won. Well, Azothi, your theory better be accurate, otherwise you owe me big time for all the time I spent debunking it and in rising my reputation just to vote for her.

[quote=Doctor_Static]Cattherine ;:

AS to ::
Madame Shoshana, babbling about Love being the key without giving any further details as to how she will increase Love in Fallen London

i’ve posted to these threads about my &quotcollaborating&quot with mme Shoshana - esp. – via her &quotRomantic Predictions&quot - which serve to raise my Fascination quality - to as much as 20, before … This quality represents one’s attraction to an interested partner for passion … She uses her Tarot for these mesmericly justified ‘Romantic Predictions’ - except for ‘Rare Successes’, which appear in her crystal ball . . . NOW, she has gifted the city with pervasive subtlety of Tarot-deck-gloves . . . Future Lessons / Cards MAY teach the public this tantric trick, yet.

So, basicly, madame can guarantee one will succeed at matters of Amour - and may be about to share how, with all of London!

(am ubderslept - pardon sloppy style, pls)
Also - please see my use of the tarot - as linked to my journal notes - in the Threads for Election items, and for Shoshana debate - and in the one on all candidates before it . . . In which i throw my first tarot reading for the ccurrent mayor & have him say a justification for the cards enhancing qualities - as well as the &quotShepardess&quot interpretation … ((too tired, ack seizing, or i’d link it here, sorry …Ouch…))

Drazzle Psmyth for the Shy Sphynx
edited by Doctor_Static on 7/29/2019[/quote]

Perhaps you are right. Hopefully she will get a chance to succeed, even though she did not win the election.

[quote=Vladison Ianchester]Oh what a shame. Looks like Virginia indeed won. Well, Azothi, your theory better be accurate, otherwise you owe me big time for all the time I spent debunking it and in rising my reputation just to vote for her.[/quote]Ah, that’s unfortunate. I’ll have to start pre-emptively sending over Neath’s Mysteries to get a head-start before Virginia’s term ends (a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely).