Useless Advancements

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Pedantic Jones]
What does &quot30 mood&quot mean?[/quote]
Preternaturally Intent (Hat that gives +30 watchful for 1 hour.)[/quote]

Excellent! Thank you!

[quote=Aximillio]200 + 4 (adv. inv.) + 15 (n) + 5 (destiny) + 12 (ink) + 10 (pockets) + 8 (glove) + 3 (stockings) + 30 (Übergoat) + 30 (mood) makes 317.[/quote]Wait a minute. Does this mean that Scholar of the Correspondence 22 is reachable? Did anyone get that yet?

I asked this a while back and was told the storylet locks at 21.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Pedantic Jones]
What does &quot30 mood&quot mean?[/quote]
Preternaturally Intent (Hat that gives +30 watchful for 1 hour.)[/quote]

Boy, this would have been fantastic if it worked at all. I am Preternaturally Intent and it provided a boost of zero point bupkus.

Silly question but did you put the hat on?

Argh! I am indeed a ninny!

Thanks for the help, I finally made it! (And died, of course, but such a small price to pay.)

A small thing compared to some, but I’m quite proud of my 21 Scholar of the Correspondence - it does require an overgoat in addition to a mood after all.

I’ve hit the content boundary in every storyline I can think of (aside from a couple fate-locked ones I can’t afford at this time), got a five-card lodging, and unlocked a PoSI specialization, with all my other stats just about to cap, and I think the conventional thing to do at this point, with nothing else to occupy you, is to start progressing towards an overgoat. That’s a good idea, I think, but I realized that something much more personally important to me was to acquire one thousand songs of mourning for the long-dead god. One thousand unforgettable tunes. One thousand storm-threnodies. I mourn the thunder, and I want to surround myself in the echoes it has left behind.

So, that’s what I’m doing.

Congrats! I actually thought that required an Ubergoat (which I have, but no Watchful destiny, which I thought was the defining factor as to why I can’t get mine above 290, but now I’m just confused again).

Going by the calculations posted on the last page you should be able to manage with just an overgoat.

That will require extraordinary mind though.
edited by WormApotheote on 3/8/2015

I think I un-confused myself. It seems you can get as high as 296 with 200 Watchful, Ubergoat and all the best equipment. Only a Watchful destiny or Nobility boost will nudge that over 300, and with 15 Nobility, you would only need an Overgoat.

Like the fool that I am, I am endeavoring to acquire the three most premier residences in all of London. I have already spoken with the manager of the Royal Bethlehem Hotel and acquired my suite there. Next I have been gathering tears for a M____’_ B____.

I am in the middle of a quest for the numerous, notorious items to be found. I already have a Ray-Drenched Cinder, A Reported Location of a one-Time Prince of Hell, and enough Cellars of Wine to acquire a M_____'s B____, but my inability to purchase Nex is going to make the remaining 33 conversions take a while.

I’m also after the notorious residences of London, but will be waiting for Penstock’s Wicket to open up again first before acquiring an Honor and a Privilege to match my Eyrie.
edited by Lazaroth on 3/13/2015

Well, since my last useless advancement goal got nerfed into near impossibility - selling my soul enough times to get goats and cider - I’ve decided to get enough Master’s Blood to do both. Because I’m insane, and it seems close enough to revenge for no longer getting my soul for playing with the urchins. So, I need:

118 Master’s Blood
Which requires 590 Tears of the Bazaar
Which requires 4130 Fourth City Airag
Which requires 20650 cellars of wine
Which requires:
5162500 Greyfields 1882
1032500 Morelways 1872
103250 Strangling Willow Absinthe
20650 Broken Giant.

Getting these wines from lower levels will require
Morelways: 5162500 Greyfields
Strangling Willow Absinthe: 2581250 Greyfields
Broken Giant: 2581250 Greyfields
Total Greyfields:15,487,500 Greyfields

Greyfields 1882 is obtainable at 120/action for 120cp/action of Connected Society at the palace.
That means 129063 actions to get all the wine the long way, not counting the cost of raising connected Society.
That would add 1721 actions with a cost of 129075 Cryptic clues using slowcake’s, or 4303 using Someone else’s scandal, which would also add 86060 Greyfields, lowering the amount of society cp needed by an equivalent amount. Since grinding cryptic clues would probably add an equivalent number of actions, I believe the best route is Someone Else’s Scandal, which would be less than 4303, but I’m not sure by how much, so I’m just using that number. So, 133366 actions for getting the greyfields. Converting would take:
9834 Actions for Morelways
5901 for Strangling Willow Absinthe
7966 For Broken Giant
20650 for Cellars of wine
12390 for Airag
590 for Tears
118 for Master’s Blood
Total Actions this way: 190815
At an average of 40 actions/day, it would take 4771 days. That’s a little less efficient than I would like.

Alternatives seem to be getting cellars of wine at 3 + 8 Broken Giant for Hounds of Heaven, minimum 23 actions not counting getting the plated seal, which adds quite a number more (Late and tired, not ready to figure exact numbers on getting plated seal). Every four of those you could trade 25 Broken Giant for 5 cellars, so that knocks some actions off. Total number of actions without taking into account acquiring the seals is 146851 and would require 6884 seals, less the number of 5 cellars for 25 BG you would get. Add actions for converting up it requires 159949 Actions, plus however many actions to catch the seals, which I believe would be at minimum 30/seal or another 206520 actions. Approximately 366469 actions reads 9162 days, or 25 years. Not efficient at all.

4130 Airags can be acquired approximately 12.5% of the time running the Shrine of the Deep Blue Heaven. 33040 expeditions, 18 supplies and 8 actions per - 264320 actions, supplies 1.5/action for 200 whispered secrets. 396480 actions…Either I’ve done my math wrong, or the fastest way to get Master’s Blood without spending fate is the palace Greyfields, and it is going to take somewhere between 8 and 13 years. I suppose I’ll start grinding society at the palace and occasionally attempt trips to the nadir to see if I can get the occasional Airag for shortcuts. Also I should start checking FL more than twice a day. Welp, wish me luck!
edited by MartzelDePamplona on 3/24/2015

Personally I would just obtain Broken Giant through the Velocipede Squad, or Strangling Willow Absinthe through the Affair of the Box. Don’t forget all the actions you’ll need to get up to 7 Notability 118 times.

Okay, it seems I made mistakes with my math, so I will attempt to set that right this time. Lots more math and stuff, so I’ll stick it behind a spoiler tag so that people don’t have to scroll past a wall of text and calculations if they don’t want to.

[spoiler]Velocipede Squad - 15 actions for 7 Broken Giant, assuming no failures. 0.46/action
Getting Greyfields at the palace and converting up is approximately 25 actions counting conversions, so 0.28/action. Velocipede Squad clearly better.

Strangling Willow Absinthe 35 for 14 actions in the Box, 2.5/action.
Greyfields & converting is 24 actions, 1.46/action, clearly better.

Here’s where I correct my math from before (Never do math early in the morning when about to go to bed).
15,487,500 Greyfields would take 129,063 actions to get from Calling in favors at the palace. It would also require 129063 cp of Society connections.
Society can be obtained either by 75cp for slowcake’s with a 75 Cryptic Clues cost, or 30cp with 20 Greyfields from the court. To compare, we look at how many actions would be required for 600 Greyfields, because it’s the lowest common denominator.

Using slowcake’s, that’s 5 actions for the wine, 8 actions to restore/acquire Society, and 12 for the Clues.(The best repeatable rate I’ve been able to find for Cryptic Clues is about 50/action, please correct me if I’m wrong) Total actions: 25
Using the court, it will take 5 actions to get 200 Greyfields, (1 action to trade 120 cp for 120 greyfields, 4 actions to get 120 cp back and 80 additional greyfields) doing that 3 times gets us a Total Actions of 15. Clearly better.
Dividing 15,487,500 Greyfields by 200 gets us 77,438 cycles at 5 actions per cycle: Total actions just to obtain the ingredients to convert: 387,190 actions. Longer than I originally stated, but using velocipede and box will be quicker.

Now to see if it’s quicker to go all in on the velocipede squad.
20,650 cellars of wine requires 103,250 Broken Giant for direct conversion. That’s 14,750 cycles of Velocipede at 15 actions/cycle, 221,250 actions to get the broken giant, 4,130 actions to convert, 225,380 total actions.
Getting the cellars through the bazaar sidestreets requires the following actions:
44,250 actions for Broken Giant
41,300 actions for Strangling Willow Absinthe
258,125 actions to get the Greyfields and the components for the morelways
9,834 actions converting the Morelways
20,650 actions for the cellars
Total Actions: 374,159 actions using Sidestreets
Winner, Velocipede Squad!

Is the Nadir worth it to try to get airag? All cards have standard frequency, and there are 20 possibilities. That can be trimmed to 17 by making sure to have less than 2 nightmares when entering, and trimmed to 16 over time by getting a fluke core from ‘Do you recall how they came to that place?’ (25 diaries of the dead, 1562.5E worth, 5 actions to convert to fecund amber, 1 to convert to fluke core.) At minimum you will get to play 5 cards before having to leave. Having a 5 card lodging means your first draw will give you a 5/17 chance to draw the right card, and a 1/13 for each card after that. Worst case scenario I believe that is a little better than a 50% chance to get the End of Battles on each trip to the nadir. Assuming 2 trips/airag, 7 actions per trip and 3 actions to get the sudden insights need, that’s about 17 actions per airag, if the numbers are right and you aren’t too fortunate/unfortunate. In the normal way of doing things, each airag costs approximately 64 actions (4*15=60 actions to get 28 broken giant, 1 action to convert to 5 cellars, 3 actions to convert to 1 airag)

Seems worth it to try each week, even accounting for the loss of stats. Just make sure to have the Sudden Insights before you go and hope the RNG is kind :) [/spoiler]

So, it looks like I’ll be helping the boys on bikes for a while, but not as long as I was thinking it might be. Calculations so far are:
225,380 actions to get the cellars of wine needed
12,390 actions to convert to airag
590 actions to convert to Tears
118 actions to convert to Master’s Blood
Total actions: 238,478. If I can do 80 actions/day, that’s 2981 days, or 8.17 years. I’m guessing getting all the notability is going to up that to about 9 years total. Here’s hoping for the End of Battles! :)
edited by MartzelDePamplona on 3/25/2015

Wait, you should only need 103 vials of Master’s Blood. They’re each worth 1,562.60 echoes, and Hesperidean Cider is 160k. 160k/1562.6 = 102.39, which you would round up to 103.

Yes, but you need 15 more to get the goats. Each goat is 11712.80E, or 7.495 vials, 2 would make it an even 15.

Oh right, forgot you were going for the goats in this manner too. Nevermind my silliness. XD Anyways, best of luck! This’ll definitely take a while, but it’s a neat idea.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/25/2015

About the original post, and the useless goal we aim for our character, i’m new to this game, and i aim to have a &quotparticular&quot relation with rubbery men, i saw a few opportunity that guess we can have some very close relation with these tentacle men/women/things.
I’ve read that we need a special &quotthings&quot that happen after university (and i would need nearly 100 fate), so that sound like a long term goal.