Upwards

>>>until you run some numbers and discover than Saint Jadwiga the Hungry, Patron of Starfish has 150 echoes worth of heresy

Can you elaborate, please?

I really like bones and looking for a good reason to buy this story, but found none so far.

Update: looks like with 14 mithridacy (which is possible for me) i could get 100% success with 5 pointed ribcage and build uber conter church skeletons (50+).
edited by Waterpls on 11/26/2020

Any?

Enjoyable story. However ā€¦

At this point Iā€™m not surprised, but definitely disappointed, at the high density of typos. By the time I got to the end it seemed like upwards of (heh) 2/3 of the branches I had played had at least one error.

As someone who used to proofread/copyedit for pay, it does mar my enjoyment of new FL content a bit when the writing that is obviously produced with such love is then cluttered with punctuation and spelling glitches.
edited by hwoosh on 11/26/2020

No Light Fingers tie in, disappointingly enough. No tie ins to any other story, actually.

Mechanically, the balance seems a bit weird. You can spend a favor for 2 progress and 1 animosity (or whatever thatā€™s called), but thatā€™s the same you get for a fairly easy persuasive challenge (I get almost 100% without my Evening outfit). The only benefit to favors seems to be some nice flavor.

In regards to the ribcage, itā€™s 312.5E in exchange for a cartographerā€™s hoard which is also 312.5E at the Bazaar, so it doesnā€™t immediately look worth it. However, as some have mentioned it can be used to make bank using Counter-Church Theology and even if you donā€™t want to make forgeries in your lab (like myself), you can still use it + the new skulls to make skeletons with a ton of Amalgamy, which also makes bank with some buyers.

Overall, not too shabby

[quote=NotaWalrus]No Light Fingers tie in, disappointingly enough. No tie ins to any other story, actually.[/quote]Thank you for your answer. No LF, no Buccaneering Palaeontologistā€¦ that seems like a big miss.

One more question: I happen to dislike the Bone Market and am fairly indifferent to the whole palaeontology thing. Is there any reason I need this story?

Nothing missed. Starved Men partying at 4 means you lose the progress of your current dig, get some CP of wounds, and can dig upwards again.

[quote=phryne]

One more question: I happen to dislike the Bone Market and am fairly indifferent to the whole palaeontology thing. Is there any reason I need this story?[/quote]

There is a story here, but it is beyond minimal. Little more than two simple characters and a binary choice between which one to support.

[quote=NotaWalrus][quote=phryne]
One more question: I happen to dislike the Bone Market and am fairly indifferent to the whole palaeontology thing. Is there any reason I need this story?[/quote]
There is a story here, but it is beyond minimal. Little more than two simple characters and a binary choice between which one to support.[/quote]
Thank you! Iā€™ll save my Fate for Christmas then. :)

I didnā€™t really expect it, but I was hoping there would be more interaction with the starved men. Or at least that I would learn something about them that I didnā€™t already know. That wouldnā€™t have been hard, since all I really know is that they live on the roof and modify their own bodies with the shapeling arts.

I know this thread is very old, but I love the forums because these threads can be used as an archive in the future.
Let me first throw the amazing cover too:

Summary

https://www.failbettergames.com/assets/archive/2020/11/paleo2-poster.jpg

To the story!
It wasnā€™t such a great one, but not a bad one either. But now, after the '23 event, I think FBG did a great job in throwing clues everywhere! This story, from late '20 even offer more hints about Hellworms and Marigolds; both arrived in mid '21.
I didnā€™t record it to the journal so hereā€™s the snippet for those curios:

Summary

Send for infernal aid

In the campaign of '68, Hell had a habit of undermining London redoubts. Maybe they could loan you one of their rock-eating worms.
You need Favours: Hell

Result

Wyrmlights

A Marigold Menagerie-Keeper arrives in a dirigible of her own, bearing a brass cage of crawling grubs. The golden carapaces cannot hide the burning glow from inside ā€“ it is as if each grub has swallowed a live coal. ā€œChild law-furnaces,ā€ she says tenderly, ā€œTheyā€™ll thrive so long as their parent does. Should it be extinguished, these little grubs will go out like lights.ā€ She smiles. ā€œWeā€™ll alert you should we need to ever switch it off.ā€

You set the grubs to work on the rock of the roof. They take to their task hungrily, converting what is rock to what is not.

As for the reward and mechanics, these didnā€™t age well at all. Actually, didnā€™t age well after few months because a Cartographerā€™s Hoard is worth 400 E now thanks to the Rat Market.
I consider that an upgrade to the final reward is required!

1 Like

Now that weā€™ll be getting a new major story related to Upwards, is there any chance that there will be changes in the reward here?

1 Like