Updated Guidance for Fan Works

[color=#0033ff]We’ve just updated our guidance for fan works. They still referenced LiveJournal; while we still love LiveJournal, we thought a platform agnostic approach might be better.[/color]
[color=#0033ff]
[/color]
[color=#0033ff]Trusted friends, would you have a look at them for us?[/color]
[color=#0033ff]
[/color]
[color=#0033ff]Are they clear? Is there anything else we should cover?[/color]
[color=#0033ff]
[/color]
[color=#0033ff]Thank you![/color]

Updated guidelines, yay! I’ve added to the header of both my fandom blogs: “Fallen London is © 2014 and ™ Failbetter Games Limited: www.fallenlondon.com. This is an unofficial fan work.” Due to the format, the disclaimer will appear at the top of every post. Will that suffice? I’ll also see to clearly marking my fanworks on ao3.

EDIT: I know how to make forum links, surely.
edited by narcissus_echo on 11/12/2014

Wikidot is updated.

I’ve wondered if there is an official stance on how to use static content (art assets). Using local copies doesn’t hit whatever CDN or cloud solution is in place with traffic that isn’t part of the core business, and ensures that fan works are protected from API/network changes. Linking to the published assets on the third party service, on the other hand, allows fan works to operate without worrying about local copy storage (making it more friendly for very small platforms), allows for automatic updates to new assets as they are deemed canonical and ready for the public, and maintains the proper look and feel of the brand when and if it changes.

Is there an official stance as to which is the preferred method?

[color=#0033ff]For fan projects like wikis, it makes sense to link to artwork so it’s updated when we update in-game. For everything else it really depends on the fan-creator’s preference. We don’t have strong feelings either way.[/color]
[color=#0033ff]
[/color]
[color=#0033ff]Edited because I forgot to blue. :)[/color]
edited by h4nchan on 11/12/2014

[quote=Hannah Flynn][color=#0033ff]For fan projects like wikis, it makes sense to link to artwork so it’s updated when we update in-game. For everything else it really depends on the fan-creator’s preference. We don’t have strong feelings either way.[/color]
[color=#0033ff]
[/color]
[color=#0033ff]Edited because I forgot to blue. :)[/color]
edited by h4nchan on 11/12/2014[/quote]

Just a small note, Hannah: the [color=#3366ff]lighter blue[/color] you used in your first postings was much better readable ;)

[color=#0066ff]I can’t seem to tell one from the other myself - thanks!
[/color]

It’s slight, but it does show up a bit better against the grey background. And, regarding the issue at hand, well, I’m no lawyer, but as a fan, the guidelines seem reasonable, and I’ll make sure to use the updated ownership statement from now on.

For reasons unbeknownst to myself, login has abruptly gone south for the Winter, and have logged in once again. Personally happy to respond more directly if preferable.
The essence is thus: while emphatically NOT set in London, before the Fall or after the Rise, there are not-insignificant elements of the beautiful Neathy and Wild world present in the universe. What state occupies this particular work, in Failbetter’s eyes?
edited by Akninirith Rhaagmini on 6/11/2018

@Akninirith Rhaagmini: I can’t speak for the powers that be of Fallen London, but in terms of American copyright law, what you’re describing–no direct quotes, simply using pieces for inspiration–almost certainly falls under public domain, especially if you’re not profiting off of it (standard disclaimer: I am a paralegal, but I am not a lawyer). Based on what I’ve seen of FL interactions, I expect Fallen London and the admins would be happy with a message at the front of your work thanking the game, especially if you encourage your fans with something like, &quotif you enjoyed this, sign up for a one-month Exceptional Friend of Fallen London.&quot That way, you’re giving FL free publicity and potentially sending money their way. (Admins, I will delete or revise if this is in any way inaccurate.)

Good luck with your story!

[quote=Akninirith Rhaagmini]For reasons unbeknownst to myself, login has abruptly gone south for the Winter, and have logged in once again. Personally happy to respond more directly if preferable.
The essence is thus: while emphatically NOT set in London, before the Fall or after the Rise, there are not-insignificant elements of the beautiful Neathy and Wild world present in the universe. What state occupies this particular work, in Failbetter’s eyes?
edited by Akninirith Rhaagmini on 6/11/2018[/quote]

Oh, so this is a thing!

Somewhere online I have a tiny RP blog for Mr. Eaten, with the copyright label, a comment that you’re much better writers than I am and a walking spoiler tag. I hope that’s okay.
edited by GuesssWho on 11/24/2018

Oh, and someone stole Sunless Sea at wikia to describe themselves RPing about it without any acknowledgements.

So, using character names as account names (e.g. mr-eaten as a Tumblr URL or similar) and RP’ing on social media isn’t allowed? Just making sure

Luckily I’m not doing either. I have seekers in a Stellaris game, though, FWIW

Hello Elfin , I am looking for active players to assist me in the game playing chess etc please help adi3r1an