UPCOMING QUIRK CHANGES

Does that mean that becoming a scarlet saint will become much more difficult? Good, good…

[color=#C2B280]Thanks – I’ve adjusted all the branches on Bringing the Revolution, too.[/color]

Under the current system I can pretty easily maintain high (~10) Hedonist while still attending church fetes so I can… funnel church connections into hell and bohemians hrm that’s not very austere tbh. Anyway it definitely seems like the design intent is 10 is manageable with some selection of choices, but 15 would take some intense dedication and probably a laudanum addiction to maintain.

Which is probably a reasonable setup.

I do get that there are issues balancing things, but all these new caps - on quirks, on second chances, on acquaintances - make the game a more frustrating place for long-term players. So many of the opportunity cards now seem to only decrease levels of things I’ve spent a long time building up. And it feels especially painful when a card attempts to balance things, like with the quirks - because you end up with one quirk dropping, while the opposed quirk doesn’t increase because you’re already at the cap. The general trend seems always to be downwards, and negative, giving players less to work for because things are capped and you can no longer be exceptional in anything.

/grumpy today.

Perhaps it could be flagged up/clearer before I play a card or branch if it’s going to affect quirks, and which, so I can make a choice to preserve, or not, the quirks I have that are already high?

The more I click on a card I thought I knew, and instead just see a quirk go down while getting less then I expected from it, the more frustrated I am.

I really do hope there is something that rewards us and resets quirks as an option in this holiday content.

Course I’m also a bit upset every time the card about my aunt shows up… it feels like I’m being punished for not spending the nex every time I get that instead of a card I could use… on the other hand, I don’t really want it to go away forever, I might want to do that content someday, and it’s not on the nex page…

Are these Quirk changes being added retroactively to Mark of Cain storylets, Ambitious content, etc.? If so, will players who have already gone through them be given a chance to benefit from any changes made to them?

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]Thanks – I’ve adjusted all the branches on Bringing the Revolution, too.[/color][/quote]Thanks yourself! The deck just reminded me that A subtle approach and A direct approach on The oracle of weasel-fights might still have those extra punishing quirk-reductions as well.

I am seriously contemplating nuking my quirks so I can enjoy the post-cap grind experience. What’s a good way to blank out all quirks completely? Repeated trips to the Tomb Colonies maybe?

Dabble in the Great Game in Veilgarden for Ruthless and Magnanimous. Hunting in the Docks for Subtle and Forceful. Tomb Colonies for Austere and Hedonist.
Don’t remember repeatable actions for the other quirks.

Actually, I totally will do this after Hallowmas as an act of good faith that exceptional quirks will not be limited solely to one shot events. That the idea is anyone, new or veteran, can work towards the goal of having a specific reputation and attain it if by nothing else but sheer perseverance. Notability 15 for example is incredibly challenging to obtain, but little by little a dedicated character can make it a reality. Same with certified scraps items (how I covet them so). Its something you have to purposefully chose to do over and over for a long period of time. It starts to define who you are, or rather its an expression and statement of self.

It is my hope the new quirks system will be the same and that my act of destroying all that I have will not be in vain. Because I really really like the idea of building a reputation from the ground up- that if I am going to be famous/known for a certain type of behavior, that it will only be because I have chosen so and have put in the appropriate effort to give it meaning.
edited by NiteBrite on 10/31/2014

Right now I’m celebrating Halloween with a laudanum binge. Time to get my Hedonist quirk back in shape!

Just noticed something odd. Most of the actions on the Urchins connection card raise Daring and lower Melancholy. Fair enough… except one of the options (Running the Rooftops) actually raises Melancholy as well as Daring. Was that intentional?

I find the Austere and Hedonist as opposites things to be problematic. DRS’ reactions in different situations are just that - situational. As a serious but scandalous author, it behooves her to have contacts amongst both the Church and the Bohemians (to use the example above), which requires at least acting with Austerity.

Disclaimer: I’m also a little sore that my Hedonist quirk just disappeared, since I trashed it while fishing, so I’ve been avoiding Austere challenges because they’re too difficult. I’d go have another threesome on the throne, but I don’t think I can afford the time in the Tomb Colonies during Hallowmas. And no laudanum. That’s the one thing I have managed to avoid, by choice.

If a person has the self-control or sufficient pragmatic outlook to work both among the Bohemians and the Church wouldn’t be actually mad on either Austerity or Hedonism, which would be what was implied by having an especially high quirk in one or the other. I never found it especially difficult to maintain a level of 6~7 in each, but then I don’t care about them as much as Magnanimous or Daring.