Upcoming Changes to Early Content

And even as I clicked the highest story options I’m suddenly locked away from Imperial Court and my options in Shuttered Palace reverted to the ones I had much earlier, erasing all my work in this place. What the point of this system? To throw people back just because they didn’t romance The Struggling Artist’s Model? I already went through all those options, I’m past them but yet, due to this ‘improved’ system I had to go back and paint that stupid portrait again when I already have my copy of Allegorical Satire and all other works?
I’m very upset.
edited by Voiceless on 8/7/2015
edited by Voiceless on 8/7/2015

Those flowers were quite lovely, though. And the wine a rare treat. Thank you kindly.

And to add salt to a wound, it appears that I already have Celebrated Artist’s Model as a companion. Having my progress reset regardless of my accomplishments is not fun, not immersive and not fair.

Same here.

I actually chuckled when I saw the option to court her again.

At the moment I am also very displeased with the changes. I was in the process of grinding SotC via &quotSomewhat challenging music&quot, but the new storylet forced me out and now I can’t even access the Court.

The flowers are lovely, the storylet was interesting, and the scandal reset and inexplicable five level leap in Persuasive were very nice indeed.

But man, oh man, I would have loved not to have been forced out of the Flit and thrown into the Court, just to be forced back out into the Shuttered Palace and barred from entering it again. That was…less than enjoyable. And those Court storylets looked like so much fun too!

So it seems that under the new system you can enjoy the benefits of the Duchess’ Salon only for a limited amount of time - as it is set to require “A Name Signed with a Flourish” of exactly 4. Why do it like this? Her salon was just about the only reason to visit the Palace I had left…

[color=#ff9900]Hi folks! A reminder to send bugs and feedback to feedback@failbettergames.com, so we can diagnose them and follow up properly.[/color]
[color=#ff9900]
[/color]
[color=#ff9900]Thanks![/color]

[quote=Alex Churchill]Similarly to Dov, I’m concerned for roleplaying reasons. The game’s registration page says &quotYour choices matter&quot. It sounds like that principle might be being undermined.

My main character had a lot of difficulty getting his Shadowy high enough for POSI, due to being unwilling to steal or blackmail.[/quote]

[color=#009900]Your choices matter; but we can only provide so many choices. We wrote a cycle of linked stories, and some of the stories are about being a criminal If you’re playing a pacifist, or someone who’s illiterate, or someone who’s confined to a wheelchair, that will rule out most of the game for you.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]There will always be many, many more character concepts that don’t fit in Fallen London, than concepts that do. People will find ways to break the story, and we’ll sometimes do things to make that a bit easier, but it was never our intention to support every character concept that someone came to the game with.[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]
[color=rgb(0, 153, 0)]
[/color]

Is &quotYou’re striving to become Imperial Artist-in-Residence&quot supposed to result in this?

[quote=]&quotJust so!&quot

&quotThat’s it! … Oh! You’re the one they’re singing about! You didn’t know? That romance has become the stuff of song all about town!&quot[/quote]

Because it doesn’t exactly look like an affirmation of that choice. Is it a hint that the ‘Artist-in-Residence strife’ could only happen after an earlier romance? Because if so, it would probably be helpful for people to know which options are higher tier than others, in case they want to make sure they don’t miss a lower tier.

[quote=Big Scary Mouse]
At the moment I am also very displeased with the changes. I was in the process of grinding SotC via &quotSomewhat challenging music&quot, but the new storylet forced me out and now I can’t even access the Court.[/quote]
Fortunately, it seems that the bug (or whatever it was) has been just fixed. Even more, the entrance to the Court is now free. Marvellous!
edited by Big Scary Mouse on 8/7/2015
edited by Big Scary Mouse on 8/7/2015

A large part of the problem is that one is required to get all stats to 100 in order to become a POSI. This means, if you want to progress in the game under the new schema, you are forced to be a poetic genius and accomplished socialite, a university professor, master thief and slayer of beasts all at the same time. For many people this, understandably, will produce significant role-playing difficulties. It simply isn’t possible to roleplay a coherent character at all, as all the paths provided in each of the narratives are inherently contradictory, yet, all are essential for the progression of the story.

In addition, the current implementation appears to be broken. My persuasive is over 100 and I am currently in the shuttered court, however, afraid of being locked out of content, I picked the ‘Veilgarden’ option (the earliest one). There is now literally no way for me to progress out of this zone, as, most likely, the critical storylets are locked.
edited by Nicola Bodill on 8/7/2015

[color=#009900]Folks, to echo Chris’ comment upthread, please submit issues to bugs@failbettergames.com or feedback@failbettergames.com, whichever is closest to hand.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]This is a mechanically complicated set of changes. From a forum thread, it’s hard to see when[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]- something’s gone wrong[/color]
[color=#009900]- something’s gone right but it isn’t clear[/color]
[color=#009900]- something’s gone right but it isn’t popular[/color]
[color=#009900]- someone’s misunderstood[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]without digging further into the issues.[/color]
[color=#009900]
[/color]
[color=#009900]I’m going to lock the thread for now. We’ll be happy for people to discuss it once we know that all the wrinkles are sorted out.[/color]

I’m completely fine with roleplaying concerns making my main unable to progress in Shadowy. But the problem is PoSI. So much content is gated behind PoSI, and it does need 100 in all four qualities. Up until this point, there was a fair amount of ambiguity where people might have got those qualities from. Someone got their 100 Persuasive from writing poetry, someone else from flirting and seducing, someone else from singing and gossiping. Someone got their 100 Watchful from archaeology, someone else from detective work, someone else from espionage and professional observation. Now it’s sounding like everyone will have to do everything in order to reach PoSI levels.

That makes Fallen London feel a lot less like a diverse city populated by lots of player characters with lots of personalities and quirks. It’s making it much more enforced that FL is a single-player game, that’s basically linear, not really &quotChoose your own adventure&quot any more; the other PCs are illusory or off in parallel worlds. (They always were, of course - only one person can set up the Department of ______, only one person can solve the Jack-of-Smiles case. But it was a lot easier to ignore those wrinkles before.)

Edit: Yeah, what Nicola Bodill said. The idea of one character doing all four sets of stuff is fairly contradictory. But okay, I guess I’ll suspend judgment and wait and see…
edited by AlexTFish on 8/7/2015

[color=#C2B280]Cross-posting: if you regret the current level of your A Name Signed with a Flourish quality, this access code will allow you to reset it, once.

Use it soon; we’ll retire it in a few days.[/color]

I hear the pitter-patter of quirk-chasing feet scrambling to boost quirks above 10, using the access code, then quirking again… just sayin’
edited by metasynthie on 8/7/2015

[quote=Flyte][color=#C2B280]Cross-posting: if you regret the current level of your A Name Signed with a Flourish quality, this access code will allow you to reset it, once.

Use it soon; we’ll retire it in a few days.[/color][/quote]

Very considerate, thank you.

After reading these posts I decided to wait for player’s feedback to help iron things out, but I can see there’s a few here who would benefit from that code.

I’m wondering, is it ill-advised to just choose the earliest (lowest stat requirement) option every time, in the hopes of playing content you may have missed due to the old system relying on stat lockouts?