Turncoats and boxes and kingmakers, oh my...

Hm. So, I’ve recently started working my way through ‘The Affair of The Box’. Collecting Boxfuls of Intrigue. I decided to side with the Masters from the start since, well, Blake is an opportunistic, pragmatic sort of fellow, and well used to working for (and with) some very unpleasant types if that can get him what he wants.

I’m still trying to get a feel for that whole ‘pick a side’ thing, though. And in one storylet, I accidentally picked the wrong option, apparently causing my loyalties to shift. Worse, I had to ‘shift back’, which seems to have given me some sort of turncoat-y status? And I’m not sure if my previously-soaring ‘Empire’s Kingmaker’ stat survived the transfer. Not that I’m entirely sure what it’s FOR in the first place…

Anyway, I’m hoping for some pointers. In particular, is there any way to get rid of my turncoat status other than letting it reach its full magnitude and using the options that results? I’m… not really a turncoat-y individual, and it annoys me to have that hanging over me.

You can’t cure Turncoat before it’s at 4 or so. And then it costs some revolutionary connections. Empire’s kingmaker is not reset, and you’ll get it very high eventually.

Being anti-masters is more profitable.
edited by Aximillio on 6/19/2015

Hmm… I see. I’ve been trying to scour the wiki for information, and… is it just me, or is that whole affair really terribly balanced? Siding with or against the Masters should be chiefly an RP decision… instead, being anarchistic gives you a chance to pick up a bunch of rather valuable Correspondence Plates along the way, and being loyal gives you… exactly nothing. >_> Well, guess I’ll be turncoating one more time, then. There’s being loyal, and then there’s just being a fool…

Empire’s Kingmaker is indeed inviolate. It just goes up. And up. And up. And up.

I am stood ontop of grind mountain laughing down at all you petty mortals.

Fallen London is unbalanced by design. It’s a roleplaying game, so it makes sense that roleplaying impacts the gameplay. If you want to stand by a principle, it will likely be more costly than being pragmatic, but who knows what the future may bring?

[quote=Aximillio]You can’t cure Turncoat before it’s at 4 or so. And then it costs some revolutionary connections. Empire’s kingmaker is not reset, and you’ll get it very high eventually.

Being anti-masters is more profitable.
edited by Aximillio on 6/19/2015[/quote]

It could also cost some Masters connection. Previously you could do either to erase it and get back to your preferred side, but now who you apologize to makes a difference.

Interesting… a follow-up question, if I may. I’ve advanced ‘The Affair of The Box’ only far enough to access the carousel. Is there any particular reason to finish it up at this point, or can I safely let it lie for a while? Will it affect the carousel if I continue and finish that whole line?

You can rush through the storyline or take your time with it. The cycle will always be available to you.