Tomb Colonists

Here’s that talking animals thread.Knew it was about somewhere :)

An attempt at possible answers:-

Jack indeed does get very frustrated;

[i]Poor Jack’s a-cold

In a city where death can be temporary, lunatic murderers are not treated with especial respect. Jack-of-Smiles is still dangerous. If he slices you into proper collops, you’re not coming back. But a throat-cutting spree is not very much worse than a wasp’s nest. It must be vexing for him.

[/i]Perhaps the boatman is only tired of losing chess to you; so much as he is keen to keep hold of you? Or perhaps he’s fed up of having to make all those return trips? But I think you are right in that the more time you have been killed and the more damage you have accumulated in all those deaths the more likely you might be to die permanently.

I think the only thing that’s ‘guaranteed’ to kill is Cantigaster Venom, and then only if it’s genuine.

Sorrow-spider are horrible and the things they do eyes even worse. Stamp on them!!

The only thing I can think of to replace missing body parts might be Red Science? (The stuff the Rubbery-men get up to.)

I agree a Frankenstein’s monster inspired story could be a lot of fun :)

Doctors are still about I think, for one to stop you from dyeing in the first place, and then also to help fix you up if do. Maybe there is call for palliative care for Tomb-Colonist? (I think remember reading about one with a nurse?)

I think especially in the cases of diseases, you would still want someone to cure it even if it was less likely to kill you. I think it comes down to difference between living forever in good health and living forever rotting in horrible pain. Doctors might have more to do rather than less?

edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 2/12/2016

Anatomy lessons are still quite common. Now we don’t even need to find bodies to dissect them (actually, it’s even more difficult to find those now).
Broken bones do not mend well if not treated correctly. One may have deformation of broken limb if healed without adequate fixation.
Pain, acute and chronic is still an issue.
Unexplained illness can still hurt and permanently kill you, as Sara mentioned. We still do not know what cause those. Perhaps the bad smog and airs of the Neath. There are quite the few academic works, published on the surface the past two decades, indicating the cause of most illness to be from tiny entities we call Bacteria. Not so harmless as first thought. There are even several new techniques to protect one from these pathogens, causing your body to learn how to defeat the enemy in a safe way (&quotVaccine&quot).
There are some who are born with illness passed from generation to generation. No breakthrough there yet, but I myself take great interest in the work of the Rubbery people(?) and find some unique and interesting elements there.
edited by Gonen on 2/12/2016

Do animals (intelligent or otherwise) also have the benefit of being harder to kill?

EDIT: I’ve just had another thought. Is there a death penalty in Fallen London? What’s the chosen method of execution?
edited by Remedan on 2/12/2016

There are a lot of hangings, though I doubt that’s permanent considering one of them winks at you at some point.

[quote=Remedan]Do animals (intelligent or otherwise) also have the benefit of being harder to kill?

EDIT: I’ve just had another thought. Is there a death penalty in Fallen London? What’s the chosen method of execution?
edited by Remedan on 2/12/2016[/quote]

No animals do not have that benefit, at least Rattus faber have not. Its said that they die permanently. Which is horrible because i had to kill so many of them as they infested my house. I wanted to talk them out of this whole thing but it was not that easy. Rats are people, too.

And as i stumbled into smiles recently: yes, he kills people. he got a few poor fellows and as i only found parts from this people i am sure they won’t come back. I think i made some impression. He is eager to see me again.

i don’t know if cats die so easy but then they do have 9 lifes after all.

and the last time i knocked at heavens door the boatsman did not want to let me go. Anyway, i also think that the people i might have thrown into that dark water to get to life again won’t come back either. (i never did that)

So i got some answers. there are more questions but that is the thing in fallen london… there always are

What do sorrow spiders do with the stolen eyes and do i really want to know? should i trust that nice devil who sents letters to me?
and will i ever be able to finally steal a ship from the khanate, crash into the london docks while singing old songs of freedom…

You will find out what Sorrow Spiders do with the stolen eyes later in the game. You cannot currently steal ships from the Khanate, though, and whether you wish to get friendly with that devil depends on how fond you are of your soul. Soullessness isn’t really a big deal, but a lot of players like keeping theirs for character reasons.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/13/2016

[quote=Sara Hysaro] Soullessness isn’t really a big deal

edited by Sara Hysaro on 2/13/2016[/quote]

that is what a devil would say
and if i can chose to give my soul to a devil or an ape its a really hard choise.

I will admit that it is what a devil would say, but I was speaking in terms of game mechanics. For now it’s just the devils.

i know Sara. i was just joking around. Yes in matter of game mechanics whether in fallen london nor in sunless sea it changes a lot to lose the soul.

there are some mentioning about what happens when you die in the sidebar snippets, look at &quotWhat happens when you die in Fallen London?&quot and &quotWhy is Hesperidean Cider so sought-after?&quot as they mention what happens due to old age and disease

ok i came to a conclusion:

So here is the incomplete list of ways how a fallen londoner dies permanently:

• give jack enough time to slice you into little pieces
  • Fire (if it is hellish hot enough)
  • beheading
  • old age
  • (not sure) starvation
  • poison (but not every kind will do, only very special deliveries)
  • explosions (no, no, not the pistol kind of explosion, more the urchin captured cannon kind of explosion or the crazy zea captain kind)
  • sunlight (yes, fallen londoners are a lot like vampires in that way, but light loving vampires, don’t let them grap your mirror cache-boxes)
  • illness (but death would be only the nicest kind of ending - there are many strange diseases around)
  • getting eaten by a zeabeast or just getting eaten by anything with large teeth and acid in its stomach
  • Acid (strong enough, very certain)
  • a wooden stick to the heart (maybe, would prove that vampire theory: do not try this at home!)

Ways a devil permanently die:

• beheading (have to prove that)
  • strange and very complicated rituals (there is a chance devils just made them up)

but ask yourself why you should even try to kill a devil. they are nice ladies and gentlemen. polite, well educated, and they have no interest in bloodshed. it would be interesting to know what need they have for human souls. maybe they need it for reproduction, maybe just as a status symbol (like whoever has the most souls is the devil with highest ranking in hell) hopefully it is something important and not something trivial like a stamp collection.

Killing a citizen of the elder continent permanently:

• maybe they die by illness. there are some strange diseases there. Souls burning through the body or something like this
    edited by Spielesocke on 2/16/2016