To Do What None Have Done Before- A Neathean Argo

The Scorched Sailor meets Drake out on the deck, both manic and out breath. He had seen the great spines beyond the breakers too, and sounded the great horn that, in better days, would have heralded a mealtime aboard the pleasure yacht.
&quotI’ve been to zee a fair few times,&quot he shouts to Drake over the klaxon, &quotbut I stayed alive by avoiding trouble, not tangling with it.&quot He pauses, and considers the one time he charged right into trouble. That had resulted in the sinking of this very ship. &quotDo you have any ideas?&quot
edited by Barselaar on 7/18/2016

(OOC: If a story event interrupts a conversation between 2 or more people that you think should continue, I guess you could make a short offshoot thread wherein the interpersonal interactions continue in a time canonically before the next event, before jumping back to the main thread to join in the action? Just trying to think of a way to cater to everyone’s characters without posting slowing to a crawl.)
edited by Barselaar on 7/18/2016

Ozymandias hears the sound of a horn blowing and wonders whether it is time for breakfast. This notion is quickly dispelled when he spots a huge looming shadow in the water. Ah, this is the unterzee after all, and that means sea beasts. This one looks particularly nasty though.
While The Genial Gambler possesses many skills, fighting grotesque sea monsters is not his forte, so he decides to head to the main deck to find someone more used to dealing with problems of this nature. He suddenly recalls the flukes in Flute Street and realizes what the creature is. He should probably hurry.

Vaustus hears the horn. Scrambling up from his bunk, he races to the deck. There. A lorn fluke. Damn. He’s seen these before, but the last time he fought one he had four other ships on his side. He sees the captain’s, similarly staring at the beast.
“Hey! What the hell are you two doing! We need to get out of here, now!”
Without waiting for reply, Vaustus runs to the fore deck. He may not be able to kill the beas,
T, but he can slow it down. He starts to sing, his voice taking on the sounds of the deep. (ooc: if you don’t know what this is, check my mantelpiece)

Sketch jumps abruptly when the klaxon sounds. He curses a curse three letters too lurid for you as he notices the bottle of ink he’s knocked over, drenching the letter in jet, and hurriedly pulls the dripping papers out of the way.
&quotThe world is going on now?&quot he mutters, quickly righting the fallen ink bottle and wiping off the wet desktop with a handkerchief.
The dandy pauses, contemplating the blackened handkerchief for a moment, and tosses it to the side. He hurries out the door of his suite to the deck.

He hears the call of the horn and rushes to deck. any hope it is good news it quickly laid to rest as he sees the Lorn Fluke. He meets with the others. " I recall reading a Zee Story where a Zailor covered the bow with pitch and set it on fire. The heat and light scared the creature away. Not sure if that helps, especaily since he had to deal with the fire."

Vaustus calls from the fore deck:
“No. No, they don’t like fire. If we have it, they won’t stay.”. He returns to singing, his voice wavering like the zee.

Sketch stares briefly at the figure on the fore-deck. The song is familiar as a Drownie’s wailing tune, but he has no idea how that would help stop a Fluke Core.
&quotMr. Dynamo,&quot the rake says, gripping the captain by the arm, &quotIn my many years captaining a ship on the open zee, I never once fought a Fluke Core, and for rather good reason, I think. I imagine if I had, you and I would have never have had the pleasure of meeting, which would be a terrible shame. I recommend smothering the lights and making a swift retreat.&quot
edited by Professor Sketch on 7/18/2016

[quote=Drake Dynamo][quote=Lord Vaustus]&quotNo need. Their here.&quot
The ocean around this ship stills. The silence is palpable. And then, rising from the darkness, an answer. The song resumes, but Vaustus is not singing. The sing grows in strength. It has grown from a single voice to a choir. Then, as the music reached fever pitch, the waters burst. A small army off drowned, armed with rocks, sticks and the occasional rusted blade. They attack the fluke, crawling over it. &quotThat should serve as a distraction&quot
Says Vaustus, his voice hoarse.
&quotNow for hells sake, get us away!&quot
He faints.
(ooc is this too god mode? He can only do this because a certian person owes him a certian debt which has now been repayed. Also hes gonna be out the rest of the day)[/quote]
(I suppose this works. But for future events we’ll want to cut back on mysterious favors)[/quote]

ooc Yeah, this is the only one I have. Well, this and the drug supplier in Adams way, but that’s less mysterious
edited by Lord Vaustus on 7/18/2016

(OOC) I may think about dropping out of this. Not so much because it’s not been fun, but a lot of people are getting in on it now. there were three whole pages while I sslept and if it goes on at this rate I may not be able to keep up and keep track of ll the goings on so quick.

WHich is a pity because I was really looking forward to tring to cut up a immortal.)

OOC: Yeah, if the amount of writing keeps up at this, frankly absurd, pace, I may not be able to join the team at the Iron Republic. This is extremely hard to keep up with. Which is sad. But, such is the nature of mass RPs and my seemingly temporary decision not to participate in them.

(I agree that the story is progressing at quite an astonishing speed. I’m used to writing dialogue and slow-paced stories, so if people want to slow the story a bit with a few scenes of life on the ship or longer conversations between the characters than the short little encounters we’ve been doing, I’m up for it. Some dialogue centered scenes always help build the characters.)

(the first rule of improv is all well and good but I’d have to agree, things are blistering along alarmingly quickly)

occ: dinner sounds nice. Im also planning on sending Vaustus to meet our resident hedonist. Thats going to be… Fun.

(OOC) Agreed. We’re rushing through everything quite quickly.

The Mirthless Colonist had shoved the obviously honey-addled individual aside when the horn rang. There was an air of tension and danger, and his presence would most likely be of necessity in case of danger. A Tomb-Colonist isn’t particularily fast, but he made an effort to get topside quickly.
Just as he emerged, he witnessed a Lorn-Fluke covered in drownies, clubbing and cutting and stabbing.
“I’d hate to be pessimistic,” he shouted over the clashing of Zee-waves, “But that’s not going to last! We need to make distance, and now!”

(I agree with the dinner party idea. It’s a good way to get the characters all in a room together and let them establish their personalities through dialogue.)
&quotDamp the lights!&quot Sketch shouts, shielding his face from the spraying waves caused by the nearby zee monster thrashing violently, &quotDamp the lights, damn it, or it’ll be after us the second it’s free!&quot
&quotShut up!&quot a zailor screams, gripping Sketch by the collar, &quotNo one’s damping the lights! Who knows what’s out there in the dark?!&quot
The dandy shoves the zailor roughly off, knocking her from her balance on the swaying floor. As the ship lurches again, she falls, cracking her head audibly on a nearby crate.
She lies still.
&quotTell them to damp the damn lights, Drake!&quot Sketch screams at the captain.

(ooc: accidently reported a comment. Damn my slippery hands and unreliable phone!)

Just as Sketch yells at Drake, the Mirthless Colonist produces a strange and Unclear Device from his overcoat and shouts out &quotGrab hold of something and do not let it go!&quot, tossing it up into the air. All light fades, all becomes dark.
&quotThe Liberation!&quot a wayward zailor yells.
None can see, but that doesn’t matter, the ship is in motion already. Once the anarchist device’s effects wear off, they’ll hopefully be a safe distance away from the fluke. Confusion quickly turns into fear as Zailors scream and wail, and perhaps one or two have fallen into the lashing waves below.

(OOC) Is it alright that I pulled out my own deus ex?
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 7/18/2016

(OOC) I don’t see why they should contradict, let’s just assume Drake’s post takes place about five minutes after mine, after the Unclear Device’s effects have worn off and we’re taking inventory of who’s dead and who’s not.

Vaustus stirs. The sing took a lot out of him. He opens his eyes. He is sitting at a table, heaped with food. Other passengers are seated around.
“What’s I miss?”