Time for a weapon...

There comes the time when we need to look for a weapon that grants more than a mere +4 Dangerous…

RavenGlass Knife = +6 Dangerous for 204.8 Echoes
Ratwork Derringer = +7 Dangerous for 400 Echoes
Infernal Sharpshooter Rifle = +10 Dangerous for 420 Echoes

Why does the Ratwork Derringer have such a high price? I know there is an option in the War of Assassins that uses it , but still.

I am leaning towards the rifle (I will have to sell half my inventory, but the +10 may be worth it). What do you recommend?

I could say something along the lines of &quotThe emergency blunderbuss is the most efficent item in the game&quot (in regards to cost vs. stats given) but that would be terrible advice. It depends.

As you come closer and closer to a specialization money will become less and less of an unobtainable object. Especially if your grinding the relevant stat and it pays out items.

The question is if you want to become a shattering force. If so buy the rifle either now or relatively soon. There is no point buying something if it’s going to go obselete relatively quick. The obvious exception being unless it’s a limited time item or unique. You are buying from the bazaar however.

If you don’t mind a weapon that is litterally half as good for half the price and don’t plan on specializing… well a quarter of your inventory is less than half.

To summarize: Get the rifle now if you want to future-proof yourself and ready up early for a specilization. Or get the ravenglass knife now for less (which is pretty hard to replace) and bide your time for the rifle when it won’t bankrupt you. Or if/when you decide to specialize in dangerous… and the ratwork is awful for the price. Your paying 200 more echoes for ‘convenience’ on one storylet of one carousel.
edited by lukeskylicker on 8/18/2018

Ok, maybe I was overdramatic regarding the prices. I have recently become a POSI, and I can afford 420Echoes. It requires an inventory effort from me, but it’s doable.

So there are no other special uses for the Ratwork Derringer, huh? Then it is overpriced, indeed. I wonder why it’s there at 400 and not at 320.
The RavenGlass Knife could also be used by Seekers, perhaps, but I have no intention to destroy my account like that yet:)

Rats do good work, and they expect good prices. What else can be said?

The knife is a decent midpoint weapon if you don’t want to jump in for the rifle. If you’ve got the money, however–and you aren’t planning on a Dangerous profession whose specialty weapon will supersede it–then buying the rifle now will save you a bit in the long term. In fact, I’m still using mine.

[quote=Netos Korlan]Ok, maybe I was overdramatic regarding the prices. I have recently become a POSI, and I can afford 420Echoes. It requires an inventory effort from me, but it’s doable.

So there are no other special uses for the Ratwork Derringer, huh? Then it is overpriced, indeed. I wonder why it’s there at 400 and not at 320.
The RavenGlass Knife could also be used by Seekers, perhaps, but I have no intention to destroy my account like that yet:)[/quote]

[li]Double checked the wiki just in case and I was wrong. You don’t even automatically succeed.

But yes it is basically down to the cheap and efficent ravenglass or expensive but nigh-irreplaceable rifle. Again, if your going to specialize will have an influence.

Also, since you’re a new PoSI consider the high level gloves or boots instead. It is hard to get BDR for those slots and they are nice items.

If you want a weapon, get the rifle. Consider that a ravenglass knife is only +2 over your beartrap and costs, at boxgrind rates, 127 actions. Spending the same 127 actions grinding Dangerous at a 90% success rate will give you more than 3 levels of the Dangerous stat, plus the profit from the actions.

If you’re looking to get the best bonus to Dangerous, get the Far Khanate armour instead. It’s +6 over your Bloodstained Suit, looks classy, is somewhat cheaper than the rifle, and is definitely best in slot for its slot (in contrast, the best available weapon is +12 with Profession or Fate and the best historical weapon is a mind-boggling +20). Even if you’re going for Shattering Force, when you get to Dangerous 200, you will have an extra $420 to spare.

BDR boots are best gotten as a 25 reputation reward (Criminals or Revolutionaries) – the Kingscale boots honestly suck, too expensive and not best in slot for anything. BDR gloves (lenguals) are a must have, but they’re Shadowy.

Thanks for all your answers. I am not planning on having a Dangerous Profession as my main, so I’ll go for the rifle

[quote=Aniline]If you want a weapon, get the rifle. Consider that a ravenglass knife is only +2 over your beartrap and costs, at boxgrind rates, 127 actions. Spending the same 127 actions grinding Dangerous at a 90% success rate will give you more than 3 levels of the Dangerous stat, plus the profit from the actions.

If you’re looking to get the best bonus to Dangerous, get the Far Khanate armour instead. It’s +6 over your Bloodstained Suit, looks classy, is somewhat cheaper than the rifle, and is definitely best in slot for its slot (in contrast, the best available weapon is +12 with Profession or Fate and the best historical weapon is a mind-boggling +20). Even if you’re going for Shattering Force, when you get to Dangerous 200, you will have an extra $420 to spare.

BDR boots are best gotten as a 25 reputation reward (Criminals or Revolutionaries) – the Kingscale boots honestly suck, too expensive and not best in slot for anything. BDR gloves (lenguals) are a must have, but they’re Shadowy.[/quote]

Ma’am, I must protest your besmirching of the Kingscale Boots. If you intend to participate in the Sanguine Ribbon leagues, it IS in fact best in slot for producing both dangerous and shadowy, critical for deflecting both sneak attacks and frontal assaults.

I’d just like to mention here that you shouldn’t sweat too much about your purchases if you plan to play the game for a long time - at the optimised end-game, €420 is under one and a half days of grinding. Even using some much simpler grind it probably won’t take more than a couple of days. Comparatively speaking, the Bazaar doesn’t have a lot of stuff, and unless you’re extremely frugal with your echoes it’s very easy to end up with one of everything useful.
The exception to this are items that grant cards (mostly companions), because you might one day decide to sell them to trim your deck, and then it’s just a straight up waste of money. Those are worth really considering whether you’re willing to keep/use them despite their card. Anything else is a one-time purchase with relatively little cost.

Dangerous is one of the few places were Fate makes a difference: you can get Cantigaster venom at Sackmass if you side with the widow, and Feducci’s Halowmass Lance will probably be available for Fate from now on.

I’d save up for the Rife. Granted, I’m telling you this and I have the end-game Tiger Orphan grind going which rakes in Echoes at a pretty reasonable pace…