Thoughts on Seeking a Certain Name...

When I read Tom Chick’s review of Echo Bazaar I was strangely struck by one feature of his review, and how it gave me pause to consider just how I play the game. I was particularly piqued when I read about his interactions with a fairly early storyline I distinctly remember, and how he made a different choice than myself. He “threw the idol in the water” while I kept it, and followed its mystery to the extent that I was able. Thinking back on other instances, I was struck by how often my character pursued that which was antithetical to his sanity and general wellbeing: Azarias has been set alight by some light reading and driven mad by thunderous dreams. Yet even as I write this, I note how artificial it is to create a distinction between my character and myself: insofar as my choices are his, we are the same person, separated only by the context of a fictional and fabulous world.

This train of thought then became entangled with my curiosity regarding one of the greater mysteries of the Neath: that of a certain figure’s name. Now, I’ll admit I’ve cheated somewhat, and in my thirst forknowledge have googled the plotline up to the current boundary. I’ve never actually considered pursuing the name myself because of the costs involved: I’ve proudly raised my standing with the Masters, and have accumulated quite a trove of sundries and treasures. At the same time I am thrust into a desire to plumb the depths of this terrifying enigma. It was then that I realized that this choice reflected on me personally: I was afraid of pursuing the truth for fear that I would lose my (entirely fictional) belongings and accomplishments. That fear, of course, translates very well to this real world. How often do we continue in our safe paths, like J. Alfred Prufrock, for fear of some overwhelming disaster that might sweep our petty pleasantries from under us?

I was then faced with a decision: Do I neglect the mystery for the sake of in-game comfort, or do I abandon it all, as has been keeping with my character thus far, for the sake of a name? (What’s in a name? Everything, apparently) Cheating, once I saw it for what it was, was no longer an option. I had to do things honestly. I think back to Bioshock, where (spoilers!) at the end you realize that your own powerlessness has been disguised throughout the game as the conventions and mechanics of the genre. The corollary of this is that the only choices you are free to make in the game are moral ones: whether you harvest the little sisters or not. This conundrum translates very well to our real lives as well; given the varying degrees of restriction we all face, these are the only choices that truly matter. Do you take the game seriously, then, and act as you would like to believe yourself to be? Or do you have an uncomfortable truth revealed by an instance of erstwhile entertainment, and learn to live with it?

I recognize that this is somewhat off-topic, and indeed may even be in the wrong section of the forum. I’m not even sure what I’m asking, or how to go about making this into a legitimate forum thread, complete with conversation et all. But I had these thoughts, and felt that this was an appropriate place to share them.

Regardless, I dreamt of water last night. We’ll see where this takes me.
edited by Azarias on 2/6/2012

Interesting thoughts. I’m afraid my reasoning is not nearly as interesting. I didn’t even realize it was that big of a deal when I started it – I just thought it was another story. I didn’t take the warnings of ruin that seriously either until the costs started growing exponentially. Even then, once I hit the content boundary I started it up again out of boredom. But mainly, I suppose I’m continuing because I want to know all the mysteries of the Neath, regardless of how damaging they may be.

By the way, you may want to drop by the Starveling Cat thread at some point.

I think you might be asking a deeper question than I’m going to answer here…

But the Mr Eaten storyline is really fun, and I think the entertainment value far outstrips the pain of the losses. (Though I haven’t found any of the losses THAT bad, given that I’m pretty much level capped so it doesn’t take long to regain things I’ve lost.) So if you think the storyline sounds intriguing, you should go for it!

I realized as soon as I learned of The Name that I would, if I stuck to playing the game, be following that quest. Why should that be? It doesn’t offer rewards; only cost. I delayed it until I had achieved many (but not all) of my other goals, but it was always there, and I always knew I would walk that path. Somehow the fact that I (or rather my character) will only suffer for it in game is a stronger draw than the far more tangible rewards of the other quest lines. I know I’m not alone in this. What that says of human psychology is itself fascinating. Though maybe it is that the cost is actually small; only time spent playing. That quest is now secondary only to my ambition in character development.

I recently found myself beginning the planning stages of this quest myself. Initially I had convinced a friend of mine to do it so that I could send him support and in turn would learn the mysteries at his side, but he stopped playing so I am going to be beginning it alone. I would rather it have been a cooperative venture but still see it as a bit of an inevitability for me to give it a try. I cannot resist a mystery.

I thought about it. Even took the first few steps, out of curiosity. But I called it off, and have no intention to try again. An exercise of will, I suppose. Proving that my character, for all their occasional recklessness and indulgences, is not so easily tempted to ruin.

I personally don’t plan to follow this path until I’ll have done most of everything else. Maybe, if I’ll ever hit content boundary or Quality limit, I’ll try it out of sheer curiosity, but for now I’ve got plenty of other storylines to follow and things to do ^^

I do point out that actually there’s not an exact juxtaposition in player’s choices and character’s choices, or better: of course the character will do exactly what the players makes him do, but the player himself will not necessarily choose the action he would consider better by his point of view, but the one he considers better by his character’s point of view. Be it for practical convenience or for roleplaying, he will often make choices he would never do if it was his real life… So, he distinction between character and player isn’t actually only in the respective worlds; it is actually in the choices themselves, though of course, every player can just choose for the character what he would choose for himself if he was in the same situation… But not necessarily, and not always ^^

Ah, the Chambers of the Heart… excellently written, it’s one of the more disturbing things I’ve read (although I’m not personally on that ambition). But as one who dabbles in spirifage on occasion, it’s hard for me to muster up much moral outrage these days.

I’ve never pursued the name. My main account represents my own personality and makes the choices I’d make (assuming I were anywhere near as competent - or invulnerable - as a Fallen Londoner - but, I’m wandering.) My reasoning is, there are a lot of worthy secrets in the Neath - secrets which serve the public good, or reveal essential truths, or are merely very interesting. A secret which destroys the one who learns it can be none of these, and in fact undoes their good work. No thank you, sir!

(My second account, Reginald, Lord Hubris, the Thirteenth Baron of Hubris Hall, is not an intellectual. He took a second in Law through more knack than study, and regards knowledge as a means to material ends. Jumpin’ down wells and yellin’ a lot of nonsense in public is hardly sensible conduct, what?)

No, I never went very far down that path. And even that was too far for my liking: I still regret sacrificing my precious Connected: The Masters when I had thought it would only drop a little…
In the beginning I didn’t take the warnings seriously, I thought it was just an elaborate joke… when I googled a bit and saw what REALLY was at stake I opted out immediately.
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 3/24/2015

[quote=Passionario]Those who seek the name are offered many opportunities to abandon their mad quest.

I wonder: has anyone ever chosen such an option? Particularly during advanced stages, when they’ve already sunk a significant amount of resources into this venture?[/quote]

I dropped the quest when the Masters commanded it. I have ever been their faithful servant.

An acquaintance of mine lacks my fine sense of propriety and discretion, however. Observing his degeneration has been… instructive.

Last night, I’ve dreamed about the Name, and about the losses yet to come for those who seek it.

[quote]Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name has increased to 13 - No Shelter for the Damned!
You’ve changed lodgings. Your new lodgings are an Abandoned Family Crypt. The opportunities this address provides mean you can keep 1 Opportunity cards in your hand.
You’ve moved to a new area: Your Lodgings
You’ve lost 1 x Key to a Lair in the Marshes (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Key to a Rooftop Shack (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Key to a Smoky Flophouse (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Key to your Cottage by the Observatory (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Key to your Rooms above a Gambling Den (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Key to your Rooms above a Bookshop (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Key to a Handsome Townhouse (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Deeds to a Decommissioned Steamer (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Reservation at Royal Bethlehem (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Blistering Brass Key (new total: 0)
You’ve lost 1 x Lengthy Lease to Premises at the Bazaar (new total: 0)[/quote]

edited by Passionario on 2/13/2012

Don’t give them ideas!

[quote=Passionario]Last night, I’ve dreamed about the Name, and about the losses yet to come for those who seek it.

[quote]Seeking Mr. Eaten’s Name has increased to 13 - No Shelter for the Damned!
You’ve changed lodgings. Your new lodgings are an Abandoned Family Crypt. The opportunities this address provides mean you can keep 1 Opportunity cards in your hand.

edited by Passionario on 2/13/2012[/quote]

Oh dear God no. D :

[quote=Passionario]Last night, I’ve dreamed about the Name, and about the losses yet to come for those who seek it.

edited by Passionario on 2/13/2012[/quote]

That’s not real is it? That would actually keep me from Seeking the Name.

I believe Passionario is merely speculating, though, honestly, I wouldn’t be surprised if something like that were to happen. If it would keep you from Seeking, it would have done its job!

It was just a dream. Hopefully.

That said, I imagine they’d sink our ship first. No one ever said that the expedition to the NORTH has to be a two-way trip.

[quote=Passionario]It was just a dream. Hopefully.

That said, I imagine they’d sink our ship first. No one ever said that the expedition to the NORTH has to be a two-way trip.[/quote]

Sounds about fair, yes.

I mean, they do have huge signs all over the place that Seeking the Name will cost you dearly. I’d consider losing my ship to be a fair price.

Having to acquire and then loose all three of the four card lodgings might be a bit much though. They take far, far too much grinding to get.

I think it’s pretty straightforward: seeking The Name will make you lose The Game

damn it!