There really has GOT to be a better way to get "X"

I see the content change more often than I see the Wiki change, so I’m never sure what’s the hip thing to do when I’m trying to accomplish something. If there’s already a relatively up to date thread for this sort of thing, a link is all I need. Otherwise, seriously, there HAS to be a better way to get Foxfire Candlestubs than whispering to an endless procession of rubbery hounds before consigning them to their ultimate fate.

Instead of a rubbery hound, use a Hyana?
Alternatively:

Pure candles:
Speak against the proposition (University)
An admirer among the clergy (Unfinished business)
An arrangement with the Vicar-General (Costs Connected:Church)

Candles and other stuff:
Select on the basis of qualifications (University)
Ask around (University)

Cards:
Seduce the group’s leader and convince them to leave (Bohemian/Church conflict card)
For a little sport (Clay Sedan Chair)

Some more uncategorized ones at http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Foxfire_Candle_Stub_Sources.

What do you need them for, anyway?
edited by Aximillio on 4/1/2013

As with a lot of the Tier 1 items, Unfinished Business is your best bet. It’s not universally true: go to Mahogany Hall for Glim, Nevercold Brass and Deep Amber, Hunter’s Keep for Silk Scraps and Cryptic Clues, and Coil 1 of the Labyrinth of Tigers for Whispered Secrets. For the rest, however, Unfinished Business is usually going to be your go-to source.

For Tier 2 items, converting upward from a Tier 1 item is usually the way to go.

For Tier 3 items, using Thefts or the Iron Box to get the closest item and converting sideways is usually your best option. (Building up Tier 1 items and then converting upwards to Tier 3 is almost never your best bet.)

Right now I’m in an unfortunate position wherin I cannot yet complete unfinished business, but am not able to return to the university until I fund an expedition I really can’t afford. However, regardless of my own struggles, my rodentine minions are plagued by a menace I shall not tolerate! This menace is quite candle-hungry, however, much to my lamentations.

EDIT: Incidentally, the reason I avoid the Hyena is that it takes honey to lure out, which would require me to go running off to get more of that instead, which I have an even more difficult time doing of late, where the hound just takes more candles, which is both convenient and frustrating.
edited by Finvara on 4/2/2013

I’d suggest becoming a Person of Some Importance before continuing with divergent storylets which require a mass of items.
For what do you need that many candles anyway?

The candles are for increasing the serenity of the plaster face. I SHOULD be increasing my Person of Some Importance, but the requirements for the velocipede are really intimidating.

Just sell a bunch of things and buy dozens of beetles so you can get that velocipede and become a PoSI. It’s worth it
edited by Spacemarine9 on 4/2/2013

You can also use your Talkative Rat to get candles in the same storylet.

wow, really? Geez. This is what happens when I take a break for a year or two. I forget EVERYTHING.

So if I actually went to finish getting the velocipede to advance, I need Correspondence Plaques, compromising documents, intriguing gossip, 25 more memories of light, honestly the scarabs are the least of my worries.

Sheesh, have you been selling off everything you pick up? ;)

The Strong-backed Labour is easy. Become a Rat-Catcher for a week (requires connections with either the Constables or the Docks). Alternatively, go have a romance at court, and convert the resulting Stolen Correspondence.

The Legal Document is going to require a good amount of Primordial Shrieks. If you’ve been holding on to the free ones from ‘Something is Coming’, you should have plenty to convert. If not, the University, hunting in Wolfstack Docks and the Second Coil of the Labyrinth are all good sources, though I think you’ve already locked off some of those.

The Whirring Contraption is where people usually have difficulty, because Scarabs are relatively scarce; you’ll probably end up just buying them. You should have more Memories of Light than you do just from the free stat-increasing living stories, so start playing them if you’re not already. In any event, MoL are easy, since you’ve already mentioned that you can breed creatures: Use toadstools and a stick, and convert the Compromising Documents. (You can do the same to get Correspondence Plaques, using fungus and pious wrath, and converting the Journals of Infamy.)

Instead of buying the scarabs, consider buying beeswax and bulk converting this.
Scarabs buy for 25p at a value of 10p
Wax buy for 2p at a value of 1p
So buy 1k wax for 20 E and convert, or buy 100 scarabs at 25 E.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Right now I’m almost done getting my casing up to snag some stuff from the Duchess’ study. After that I’ll be trying out your suggestions, probably just going in order of suggestion. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

I have this pipe dream where the game itself will tell you the best source of anything, taking into consideration your stats, unlocked areas, etc.

And yes, I’m sure it will remain a dream forever.

But then there’s the Wikia and Wikidot…

I often use the Sources pages on the Wikia if I can’t find a better way to determine the best sources. Like the one Aximillio linked; http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Foxfire_Candle_Stub_Sources

The problem there is that you can’t immediately see how much each option will get you so I open them all in tabs and then check each tab.

Wikia editors: would it be possible to put the number gained behind the links on those Sources pages? That would help a great deal.

I’ll gladly help out if that’s possible and do some Sources pages; if enough people volunteer this shouldn’t be too much work.
edited by Corran on 4/2/2013

Another problem is that from there it’s impossible to see which of those options come from cards and which from storylets. Which is a big deal. Wikia documents everything there is to the game at painstaking detail, but it is big pain in the bottom to find anything there. Wikidot is much more readable thanks to its use of lists instead of categories, but also much behind the times.
edited by Fhoenix on 4/2/2013

[quote=Corran]
Wikia editors: would it be possible to put the number gained behind the links on those Sources pages? That would help a great deal.

I’ll gladly help out if that’s possible and do some Sources pages; if enough people volunteer this shouldn’t be too much work.
edited by Corran on 4/2/2013[/quote]
This would be hard, seeing as we would have to write up all sources and check them, add pictures etc. This is one of the big differences between categories and lists as fhoenix says.
It would be far easier to have some decent options on the most used sources just to give an example of where you can get them. Even so there’s lots of typing.
(Just listing Unfinished Business would be a huge progress, though).

[Just to make this clear, I’m not currently updating this, but it’s possible I’ll do it in the future]
edited by Aximillio on 4/3/2013

Progress Update: I’ve managed to get the Strong-Backed Labor. This was accomplished by “acquiring” some material from the Duchess’ study to convert into Gossip, and beating a hyena with a mushroom-soaked stick before consigning it to its fate for compromising documents. More later.

Update 2: I have acquired the Whirring Contraption. This was accomplished through the purchase of 2000 beeswax, then converted into the excess Scarabs I needed (I didn’t need quite so many, but I refuse to waste resources on smaller conversions). A Rubbery Hound then met his fate to bring more Compromising Documents which I converted into Memories of Light. Sadly, the extra effort for the rubbery hound was, in this one instance, not rewarded. More Later.

Update 3: I now have the legal document. I had a bunch of spare appalling secrets from my time training rubbery hounds, which I turned into Journals of infamy, which I then converted into the Correspondence Plaques I was missing. Thank you for all of your help.

[quote=Aximillio][quote=Corran]

edited by Corran on 4/2/2013[/quote]
This would be hard, seeing as we would have to write up all sources and check them, add pictures etc. This is one of the big differences between categories and lists as fhoenix says.
It would be far easier to have some decent options on the most used sources just to give an example of where you can get them. Even so there’s lots of typing.
(Just listing Unfinished Business would be a huge progress, though).

[Just to make this clear, I’m not currently updating this, but it’s possible I’ll do it in the future][/quote]

I see my problem now… I assumed that as with Wikipedia everything was human created but it looks like the list of Foxfire Candle Stub Sources is programmatically created from everything that has Foxfire Candle Stub as a category (I’d call it a tag). This is what I get for editing Wikia pages only infrequently.

I was hoping to just change ‘Wot do yer say?’ to ‘Wot do yer say?’ (80) and A balanced and thoughtful approach to A balanced and thoughtful approach (30). To give examples of the first two in the list.

But if these lists are indeed autocreated then it does become another story.

I guess you could relatively easily copy such a list to a page and then add the numbers though. Just a matter of keeping them updated as new sources pop up or old ones change.

Edit: just read a private message from Zeedee about a possible approach to the above.
edited by Corran on 4/4/2013