The very first Notability?

Speaking of which, I currently have the Amanuensis card in hand and no particular reason to choose any other option. If anyone has a particular need for that first point in notability just let me know.

[quote=streetfelineblue]

You may know this already, but an Acquaintance of yours can give you with a single point of his Notability if you’re at zero. [/quote]

[li]
Oh, I actually didn’t know that! Very helpful, thank you!

Just in case people hadn’t realized, there is a Making Waves storage mechanism-- Nights on the Town. You an create them if you have MW 6, and although I haven’t watched closely enough, I expect the cost is about 20 change points. You can then cash them in with an all-night bender at the Tower of Sparrows. (Or, as I did once, an all-week bender, since I had enough cash and NotT to roll five in a row.)

The wiki reports 20-87 change points in return-- I’ll report here the next time I try it, because that is an amazing expected profit if you can get as much as 80 change points out of it.

I really wish a more experienced POSI can make a guide about the Notability and Making Waves mechanics. I’m tired of staring at Amaneuensis’ beady little eyes yet I don’t want to lose his card as well.

It’s really not that complicated. Bizarre/Dreaded/Respectable items lower the amount of Making Waves you need to increase your Notability. Making Waves will be halved every week, and Notability will drop if it’s lower than your current (prior to drop) Making Waves. As long as you have 1 point of Notability you can summon the Amanuensis in your lodgings when you have sufficiently high Making Waves. Pretty simple.

Note that what gets chopped in half is your MW level, not your MW change points. That makes the weekly penalty rather brutal if you’re aiming high to get notability 10. Plan carefully.

(But, conversely, MW is sufficiently available that keeping 5 or 6 levels around to maintain a modest notability is fairly easy.)

Thank you, that’s pretty straightforward.
[li]

[li]
I’ll try to throw something together this week, or maybe on the weekend.
As Sara Hysaro says, the rules aren’t really that complicated… but on the other hand there some strategies that I find myself returning to. I expect to make Notability 10 fairly soon, if I can draw the right card. And I’ve been splitting my time between London and Corpsecage Island.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when you trade your Making Waves in for a point of Notability they’ll be set to your new level of Notability. That way you don’t have to worry about when Time the Healer arrives. :)

[li]
I’ll try to throw something together this week, or maybe on the weekend.
As Sara Hysaro says, the rules aren’t really that complicated… but on the other hand there some strategies that I find myself returning to. I expect to make Notability 10 fairly soon, if I can draw the right card. And I’ve been splitting my time between London and Corpsecage Island.[/quote]

[/li][li]Thanks. Yeah, I think the tricky part is when and how to generate MW.[/li][li]

Rule of thumb for new PoSI
Get these items first: Membership of God’s Editors, Clay Sedan Chair, a ship, club membership, BDR item for every part of your body
Worry about Notability after that. Every point of BDR helps and until you have at least this set, it’s a waste of your time to try to raise Making Waves.

Also last Feast was a very good time for buying rare BDR items. So if you are planning to buy/use Fate, I’d wait for the new Feast to start in a couple of days.

Yep, I’m definitely looking forward to the Feast! There’s one item from last year I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on, assuming there isn’t something new I like more.

New on the scene, the Amanuensis Card now allows players to send one point of notability to another player who does not have any. That means if your friend is in a bind and needs notability to summon the Amanuensis immediately then you can help out!
edited by Owen Wulf on 2/12/2014

I’d rather not put anyone on the spot by asking directly - so I’ll just throw the question out there.

Is there anyone who doesn’t need all their Notability immediately, who’d be willing to send me one point? I promise that I’ll send it back to you within a few days.

Basically, I have a shot at a Spire Emporium, and I’d really like to avoid a fortnight of teeth-grinding tension hoping for the Amanuensis to turn up before Penstock’s Wicket vanishes.

Sure, I can chip you a spare notability point. Just let me send a letter of acquaintance.

Edit: Did someone already help you?

edited by Owen Wulf on 1/6/2015

Thanks Owen, I’ve done so.

Edit: No, no-one has helped me. I meant that I’ve sent you a letter of acquaintance. Hmm,

I’ve just realised that in my excitement, I read your message the wrong way, so my reply didn’t make sense. Sorry.

edited by Edmund Winterset on 1/6/2015

There’s a thread at The Singing Mandrake, if anyone else has this problem.

[quote=Humblest]Just in case people hadn’t realized, there is a Making Waves storage mechanism-- Nights on the Town. You an create them if you have MW 6, and although I haven’t watched closely enough, I expect the cost is about 20 change points. You can then cash them in with an all-night bender at the Tower of Sparrows. (Or, as I did once, an all-week bender, since I had enough cash and NotT to roll five in a row.)

The wiki reports 20-87 change points in return-- I’ll report here the next time I try it, because that is an amazing expected profit if you can get as much as 80 change points out of it.[/quote]

Is this no longer possible? I ask because the last few times I’ve used the &quotTower of Sparrows&quot card it’s only let me use ONE night on the town quality – I used to be able to select the option over and over again, so long as I didn’t exit out of the card.
Has this been changed? Is it no longer possible to save up &quotNights on the Town&quot and use them all at once?

[li]

Yeah, nights on the town are now a lot less useful. It’s part of the recent changes on card mechanics, I think.

It’s still possible to do that on some card options, such as selling souls to the Amanuensis. However they changed your ability to repeatedly bring parties home for whatever reason.