The Three Sisters

For some strange reason, I feel like writing a folksy song about seven and seven and wells and all.

Obligatory mention of Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer’s lovely &quotSeven Is the Number,&quot though it doesn’t have any wells.

the song after all

lyrics
edited by an_ocelot on 2/4/2014

[quote=Lyrics][color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]one is for all the world in a bright rainbow [/color]
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]two for the sky above and the earth below [/color]
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]three for the seeker on the desert plain [/color]
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]four for the flower in his hand [/color]
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]five is for pleasure, six for pain [/color]
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]seven is the number of a man [/quote][/color][li]
[color=rgb(102, 102, 102)]
[/color]
Wow. Ahem. Yeah, I see some lines that could be made to fit quite nicely.

Yeah, I have no idea if it’s intentional–it’s not that close a fit, and the phrase “seven is the number” is common enough in general mythology, after all, but it’s quite a nice soundtrack to have in my head when I think about Seeking.

I have nothing further to add at the moment but that I love this game and the community of users it attracts. The side-speculation is almost as much fun as the game itself. (almost, Alexis, almost!)

I’m currently bumping around Hunter’s Keep, with a new eye open t
towards the ladies. A few notes on Cynthia’s herbs…

Do you care for my herbs?’ says Cynthia. ‘I gather them by the light of our moon. They are marvellously restorative, aren’t they?’ It is true. You are feeling stronger and healthier already. ‘The princess used them to put the old king back together again,’ says Phoebe. ‘Shame it gave him such a terrible stomach upset into the bargain!’ says Lucy.

“Other plants sacred to Artemis are Amaranth and Asphodel.” (Artemis - Wikipedia)

“In Greek legend the asphodel is one of the most famous of the plants connected with the dead and the underworld. Homer describes it as covering the great meadow (ἀσφόδελος λειμών), the haunt of the dead.
. . .
The asphodel was also supposed to be a remedy for poisonous snake-bites and a specific against sorcery;” (Asphodelus - Wikipedia)

Krawald is currently in Hunter’s Keep and echoing his adventures in case anyone wants to reread the story.

One more, now getting a bit off topic…

" Plutarch recounts one version of the myth in which Set (Osiris’ brother), along with the Queen of Ethiopia, conspired with 72 accomplices to plot the assassination of Osiris.[15] Set fooled Osiris into getting into a box, which Set then shut, sealed with lead, and threw into the Nile (sarcophagi were based on[citation needed] the box in this myth). Osiris’ wife, Isis, searched for his remains until she finally found him embedded in a tamarind tree trunk, which was holding up the roof of a palace in Byblos on the Phoenician coast. She managed to remove the coffin and open it, but Osiris was already dead.
In one version of the myth, she used a spell learned from her father and brought him back to life so he could impregnate her. Afterwards he died again and she hid his body in the desert. Months later, she gave birth to Horus. While she raised Horus, Set was hunting one night and came across the body of Osiris.
Enraged, he tore the body into fourteen pieces and scattered them throughout the land. Isis gathered up all the parts of the body, less the phallus (which was eaten by a catfish) and bandaged them together for a proper burial. The gods were impressed by the devotion of Isis and resurrected Osiris as the god of the underworld." (Osiris - Wikipedia)

So, he was betrayed, deluged, divided and then (partly) consumed…

argh argh laudanum laudanum where’s the laudanum no no no no no free of the name free of the name free of the glug

the comment about the princess &quotsewing the king together&quot also made me think of Medea.

With a bot of boiling herbs, she turned an old ram into a young one after dismembering it - but when the king’s daughters tried, the king did not revive for the princesses did not have Medea’s magic.

You have spoken about the herbs, and the love stories that the three sisters are tied to. The highlighted quotes in particular remind me of a love story that precedes London. Something relating to the princess-queen of the Second City, who orchestrated the fall of her domain to save her brother-husband, the king poisoned by a snake bite. Maybe she came to Hunter’s Keep in an attempt to soothe the monster that he became?

Top thread to revive. Has Sunless Sea shed any moonish light for anyone?

[quote=JMoran01][quote=Trodgmey ]
Do you care for my herbs?’ says Cynthia. ‘I gather them by the light of our moon. They are marvellously restorative, aren’t they?’ It is true. You are feeling stronger and healthier already. ‘The princess used them to put the old king back together again,’ says Phoebe. ‘Shame it gave him such a terrible stomach upset into the bargain!’ says Lucy.
The asphodel was also supposed to be a remedy for poisonous snake-bites
[/quote]

You have spoken about the herbs, and the love stories that the three sisters are tied to. The highlighted quotes in particular remind me of a love story that precedes London. Something relating to the princess-queen of the Second City, who orchestrated the fall of her domain to save her brother-husband, the king poisoned by a snake bite. Maybe she came to Hunter’s Keep in an attempt to soothe the monster that he became?[/quote]

Isn’t The Duchess the princess-queen, or am I mis-remembering something I read too long ago?

[quote=alkemicVixen]
Isn’t The Duchess the princess-queen, or am I mis-remembering something I read too long ago?[/quote]

She is. And sisters are very long-lived and very knowledgeable, and sort-of monitor the whole Bazaar’s ordeal, so they definitely know Duchess’ story to mock it.