The third slot

On the right where the main attributes are, each stat comes with three slots. The first is the icon of the attribute, the second is to display the corresponding Second Chances. What’s the third slot for?

For alternative second chances - though I’m not sure if you can get any other than Anticandles (which can be obtained when robbing the museum of mistakes).
edited by Szadovar on 5/9/2015

[quote=Szadovar]For alternative second chances - though I’m not sure if you can get any other than Anticandles (which can be obtained when robbing the museum of mistakes).
edited by Szadovar on 5/9/2015[/quote]
there is a card based on your neathy fortune which gives you one of the selected type sometimes. the problem is, it becomes the default when you want to use a second chance, which is annoying if you want to hold onto it. don’t count it for one-of-each.

There’ve been quite a few alternative second chances which have been discontinued or all-but - Anticandles, Twincandles, Listening Candles, Letters of Introduction… Surprise Attack Plans are the only alternative I still have any of, and I have no idea whether they still appear regularly.

And these alternative Second Chances, did they function identically to the current normal ones? I.e. was the difference purely in flavour or mechanical as well?

Mostly the same. However they are separate items, and so cannot be used if a storylet explicitly require any particular type of second chance.

If a storylet says you need Sudden Insight, the alternative will not work.
If a storylet results in you losing all Hard-Earned Lessons, you will still keep your Surprise Attack Plans.

By the way, all of them are discontinued. The three candles could only be received in a really old version of Tutorial New Newgate, the Letters of Introduction are only from giving research to Monsieur Pleat (and converted to Confident Smile after sometime), the card for Surprise Attack Plans is retired (the Plans remain).

You can still get Surprise Attack Plans if you have certain zodiacal signs, hang around the carnival, and are Fortunate when having Madame Shoshana tell you about them. Don’t know if that’s intended.

I’ve actually just got some Anticandles through thefts at the Museum of mistakes (part of Heart’s Desire)

If they are supposed to all be retired, why do we still get some robbing the Museum of Mistakes?

…Nevermind. I answered my own question.