The Soul Trade

So I haven’t gotten a chance to check this out myself, as I have yet to bring my reknown up to 10 for hell.
I’d like to ask for some information regarding the favor exchange rate (or any lack of thereof) for our Shepards, and our Spirifiers.

Spirifers get no favors, but they do get the most lucrative grind in London in the game (I think Port Carnelian and Tanah-Chook give higher epa, but you lose access to more valuable opportunity cards and have to sail). It’s like 1.7 or 1.8 echoes an action? It’s very good.

And for Shepherds, this is copied from the favors/renown guide in a recent popular, helpful thread: “being a Shepherd of Souls unlocks a card with four options: (1) exchange 50 Souls for 0-1 Favours: Church, Constables, Society (2) exchange 5 Infernal Contracts for 0-1 Favours: Church, Constables, Society (3) exchange 50 Souls and 5 Infernal Contracts for 1 Favours: Church, Constables, Society (4) exchange 1000 Souls and 100 Infernal Contracts for 3-5 Favours: Church, Constables, Society and a full menace wipe”

Note that unlike being a spirifer, shepherds need an opportunity card which with rng being what it is, may not appear. Spirifers get a permanent storylet. As well that’s all you get for shepherding souls, and it was mentioning that FBG might be toning down the Favors it gives, rebalancing it.

shows up, takes a deep breath, opens her mouth to complain…and gets hit in the face by a tomato

Thought I’d give everybody a break this time :P

Aren’t Heists, Collections of Curiosities, Goat-demons, and possibly some others also in the 1.7-1.8 EPA range? Soul trade is possibly the most straightforward of them all, but heists for instance average out higher (up to 1.8-1.9 even if I remember correctly), and if you do enough of them individual bad luck runs will not matter.

Certainly a great grind, but I never understood why it was so praised when it’s about on par with many other grinds.

Heists were nerfed some time ago and are now ~1.7 EPA and always carry some risk of imprisonment (even if small).

Collections are good EPA but rely on opportunity cards. You won’t be able to fill every action with that grind.

Goat demons were nerfed some time ago. Instead you kill Marsh Wolves, for a still respectable but not quite as good 1.76 EPA.

Spirifers are still in the lead, albeit less than they used to be.

Has there been an official statement somewhere that FBG are considering reducing the shepherd’s favour rewards, or is that just conjecture?

There was a semi-official statement that favours &quotprobably&quot wouldn’t be 5 for all factions, which is now implemented. I’m not aware of anything further.
edited by Wiwo on 8/17/2017

The first option seems to give 0-1 favours for each.
I have not tried the second option.
The third gives 1 favour for each.
The expensive option gives 3 constables, 4 church, and I think 2 society.

Oh, did they change it again? Not too long ago they were wondering if anyone has gotten less than 4 Favours per faction for the expensive option.

[quote=suinicide]The first option seems to give 0-1 favours for each.
I have not tried the second option.
The third gives 1 favour for each.
The expensive option gives 3 constables, 4 church, and I think 2 society.[/quote]

• The first two options give 0-1 Favours of each type (Church, Society, Constables)[/li][li]The 3rd option gives 1 Favour of each type.[/li][li]The 4th (expensive) option gives 3-5 Favours of each type.

[quote=Kaijyuu]Heists were nerfed some time ago and are now ~1.7 EPA and always carry some risk of imprisonment (even if small).

Collections are good EPA but rely on opportunity cards. You won’t be able to fill every action with that grind.

Goat demons were nerfed some time ago. Instead you kill Marsh Wolves, for a still respectable but not quite as good 1.76 EPA.

Spirifers are still in the lead, albeit less than they used to be.[/quote]

Oh wow, I need to update my knowledge of the current grinds.
What happened to goat-demons? The wiki doesn’t indicate any reason why you wouldn’t be able to hunt them as before, unless I’m missing something (it’s been about a year since I used that grind, and I’ve moved on in the Labyrinth since then).

The options at the Labyrinth only increase The Hunt is On up to 8 now.

Spirifers can make 1.75 EPA on average, assuming an average of 60 souls from Unfinished business. It also improves profit in a few other places that can give souls, like the Royal Beth lodging card and the An Implausible Penance card.

The Labyrinth of Tigers/Marsh Wolves grind is very, very slightly more profitable, on average, but you can only do it if you avoid progressing in the Labyrinth of Tigers. I think getting Investigating from the University and then turning it into Cryptic Clues in The Flit is also somewhat more profitable, but again, only works before you complete the University storyline. Tanah-Chook might be more profitable if you grind there forever, but you have to leave London and give up opportunity cards, and it’s definitely not as worthwhile to do for a short time because of the loss of actions to zailing.

Mostly, spirifers get an advantage in easiness. You can grind souls whenever you want for a single action at a time in a single storylet. You can turn in souls when you want. No reliance on opportunity cards, no need to avoid advancing anything, and minimal risk (you will get a few points of Suspicion once in a while, but that’s easy enough to remove, especially since the grind inherently cycles Airs of London.)

And that’s another fringe benefit. If you want to change Airs, the grind does it because you’re using Unfinished Business, so you can get to the Airs of your choice while turning a profit.