The Seeking Road -> FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY (smen)

So I’m at SMEN 3 and have the item [A Bad End], and there’s an action in my Lodgings which requires that and SMEN 2.

SMEN isn’t something I’m particularly interested in following at the moment, but it might be something I’ll (foolishly) want to do later - so I’d rather not lock myself out of it entirely.

The ‘FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY…’ action looks like it would reset my SMEN to 0, but can anyone confirm what it actually does? Like, it makes sense that it should function like that, but I’m risk-averse at the best of times and figured I should go with the cautious option and ask here first. :-p

It does reset your SMEN to 0! It also erases every trace of your search, such as any candles you may have acquired and all of your Unaccountably Peckish.

(If you did, however, manage to obtain Reputation: Abomination, that will remain with you.)
edited by Arlecchinata on 6/9/2016

Thankyou! :-)
I’d just visited the First Coil of the Labyrinth, to remove my Unaccountably Peckish, but I’ll be doing this one too. That way, I can come back to it when/if I’m ready. :-)

Oh…
“You now have the Accomplishment ‘Freed from the Name’.” :-/

Well, hopefully the action worked as expected and hasn’t locked me out of future Seeking.

There’s something about an Opp Card or something that lets those free of the name return or something like that? Idk. On something I’m more certain of, one year there was a way to return to the search at Christmas, and there was an option from the Feast of the Rose that will let you return to the name, given a rare success. Thanks Echo Bazaar Wiki.
edited by Morucant on 6/9/2016

Any reason to do this instead of just keeping unaccountably peckish at 0? If there’s still a black bordered card I can draw, or if I get UP with time the healer every week, I may want to choose this action. Otherwise, I’ll keep my SMEN.

You can still probably get Peckish via TtH and definitely via occasional other methods, but it’s fairly easy to lower and I’m guessing TtH raising it is a bug.

I was so terribly glad to have found this option. As a player I have huge problems taking actions that permanently remove choices from the game. Since the only option prior to seeing this was to permanently Never partake in SMEN I was being compelled by the black cards to Seek. And I don’t want to Seek, well, not right now.

I was greatly relieved to be given the option to forsake it for now, but still be able to pursue it later. Really, seriously, hugely relieved. I really don’t want to Seek right now, but I had to.

Had to.

{and now I don’t, YAY!}

[quote=absimiliard]I was so terribly glad to have found this option. As a player I have huge problems taking actions that permanently remove choices from the game. Since the only option prior to seeing this was to permanently Never partake in SMEN I was being compelled by the black cards to Seek. And I don’t want to Seek, well, not right now.

I was greatly relieved to be given the option to forsake it for now, but still be able to pursue it later. Really, seriously, hugely relieved. I really don’t want to Seek right now, but I had to.

Had to.

{and now I don’t, YAY!}[/quote]
As it apparently gives Freed from the Name, I’m pretty sure this does permanently lock you out. (Unless you use the apparently-existing temporary card to clear that quality afterwards.)

[quote=Optimatum][quote=absimiliard]I was so terribly glad to have found this option. As a player I have huge problems taking actions that permanently remove choices from the game. Since the only option prior to seeing this was to permanently Never partake in SMEN I was being compelled by the black cards to Seek. And I don’t want to Seek, well, not right now.

Had to.

As it apparently gives Freed from the Name, I’m pretty sure this does permanently lock you out. (Unless you use the apparently-existing temporary card to clear that quality afterwards.)[/quote]
Yeah, it does give the Accomplishment quality &quotFreed from the name&quot.
The description on the action (as shown in my screenshot) reads that it is &quotfor players who might want to experience the storyline again with new content&quot - so it shouldn’t have permanently locked us out of SMEN.

I would like to be sure, and it’d be great if someone from FBG could confirm this.

If it turns out I can’t take on SMEN later because I have ‘Freed from the Name’, then the results of that action are buggy.

Edit: Which card are you referring to, Optimatum? What are the requirements for it to appear, and does it put us back to SMEN 1, or does it simply remove that ‘Accomplishment’? (For A Limited Time Only also removes Unaccountably Peckish, so if that’s a requirement then that might be why the card hasn’t drawn at all.)
edited by Kittenpox on 6/10/2016

So…If I’ve never done any seeking content, and don’t quite want to do it yet but might someday, should I pick this option, or just not start seeking at all? I assume the latter, what with the &quotsetting SMEN to zero bit&quot. Is there a reason why I would not want to just do the first few levels and let is sit? Autofire cards or something?

If you’re not sure, don’t start Seeking at all. :-)

[quote=Kittenpox][quote=Optimatum][quote=absimiliard]I was so terribly glad to have found this option. As a player I have huge problems taking actions that permanently remove choices from the game. Since the only option prior to seeing this was to permanently Never partake in SMEN I was being compelled by the black cards to Seek. And I don’t want to Seek, well, not right now.

Had to.

As it apparently gives Freed from the Name, I’m pretty sure this does permanently lock you out. (Unless you use the apparently-existing temporary card to clear that quality afterwards.)[/quote]
Which card are you referring to, Optimatum? What are the requirements for it to appear, and does it put us back to SMEN 1, or does it simply remove that ‘Accomplishment’? (For A Limited Time Only also removes Unaccountably Peckish, so if that’s a requirement then that might be why the card hasn’t drawn at all.)[/quote]
I heard a rumor that there was a card drawn with Freed from the Name which would for a short time allow it to be reset for those who had opted out of Original Seeking. I might be wrong and it just doesn’t lock Seeking for the time being. The bit about experiencing the storyline again is why it wipes all SMEN progress.

If you’re not sure, don’t start Seeking at all. :-)[/quote]

Oh I’ve done enough research to be aware of just how unwise a decision it is to seek. I just want to be sure the option will still be there to start it later if I’m overcome with madness.

Oh I’ve done enough research to be aware of just how unwise a decision it is to seek. I just want to be sure the option will still be there to start it later if I’m overcome with madness.[/quote]

The black-bordered Seeking cards that I’ve seen so far have the &quotcan’t discard&quot quality. However, you won’t get them so long as your Unaccountably Peckish quality is 0.

Oh I’ve done enough research to be aware of just how unwise a decision it is to seek. I just want to be sure the option will still be there to start it later if I’m overcome with madness.[/quote]

The black-bordered Seeking cards that I’ve seen so far have the &quotcan’t discard&quot quality. However, you won’t get them so long as your Unaccountably Peckish quality is 0.[/quote]

Ahh. So even idling around the starting line is a bad idea unless you want your card hand obliterated. Thanks for the tip.

[quote=Scienceandponies]

Ahh. So even idling around the starting line is a bad idea unless you want your card hand obliterated. Thanks for the tip.[/quote]
No, quite the opposite. Unnaccountably peckish, which used to be a disappointingly weak menace, is now a super-potent menace designed to torment all players but especially seekers- but while the game loves throwing it at seekers, non-seekers can-and-will get it too. it’s a level based, rather than CP based, and each level adds a new ubiqutous penalty card to your deck. If you don’t worry about that, so far nothing terrible will happen except when you try to progress. Like ambition, but more expensive. So far.

I think that depends where we define the starting line. If you mean SMEN 0, then yes, idle as much as you want. If you mean SMEN 1 with any amount of Unaccountably Peckish, then yeah a little bit of a bad idea. :-p
However, if you have access to the First Coil of the Labyrinth of Tigers, buying Rubbery Lumps there will help ease your U.P. Menace and take the sting away a little bit. :-)