The Season of Celebrations' End

My character opted for a pipe band in the Chapel. She had no particular desire for Her Enduring Majesty to be pleased, but she had no particular desire to see the Unctuous Official’s career ruined, so this was a good balance. Besides, her Scottish heritage is interpellating into her decision-making.

The Chapel being in the story at all was a little troublesome, though. St George’s Chapel is in Windsor Castle, I believe, but the Shuttered Palace is very clearly Kensington Palace from the artwork.

Anyway, I loved all three main events: the language surrounding them was the highlight of this brief story, and I appreciate the insight we received into the lives of those of the palace:

The muffled orchestra really emphasizes the deep, unending sorrow of the Shuttered Palace. &quotThe Palace has known this music for a long time; it does not forget its griefs, while those born within it, they are as familiar as breathing.&quot Really makes one feel pity for these highest echelons of society. Likewise, the pipe band really emphasizes what of the Surface has been lost, especially for those who still remember. But there are some – older footmen and nurses and civil servants[color=#2b2b2b] [/color]– who stand stiffly, listening to the sad wails of the pipes. Some take each other’s hands; others remain alone. They remain standing so long after the last note has echoed away. It helps that I love Loch Lomond. Even the Vaudeville gives its own insight: It’s all going well – until the closing sketch involving the merry widow looking for contentment in her twilight years. The show closes to stony silence.

edited by Azothi on 3/3/2019

I am a bit confused. I chose the muffled orchestra in the ballroom and got the man killed. Is it a bug as someone suggested, or just a bad call?

I went with the Pipeband and the Ballroom, the Empress wasn’t pleased, nor was she displeased. I got a nice diamond from this all.

I do wonder how the Empress’ Letter would have read would she have been pleased and what would’ve been needed to please her!

We assembled a muffled orchestra in the mausoleum, ostensibly because it met with her Majesty’s preferences but with the hope of luring her out into the (dim) light. She seemed not as displeased as I secretly hoped.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Julius%20de%20Poisson/15854416

Receiving the fixed gaze of the Captivating Princess throughout the night was unnerving though.

I chose the same option and he survived, pretty sure your ending is a bug.
Here’s the link to my final choice: Fallen London

I went with the pipe band and Ballroom also. The size of the diamond that I received was astounding in light of the “meh” from Her Majesty expressed in the letter. Other than Jolanda, who I suspect was the victim of a bug, is there any choice that gives a non-diamond reward?

Thank you! Off to send a bug report.

I admit the initial result had gotten me mildly upset, so I am glad it is a bug after all.

EDIT: The storylet was very quickly reset and the result made me so much happier! Thank you for the suggestion, guys.
edited by Jolanda Swan on 3/4/2019

I did the Mausoleum with the Pipe Band, didn’t lure her out but I did get a letter praising the occasion. Don’t know if that’s as good as it gets.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/The%20Revered%20Abolitionist/15863621