The Rat Market

Yes, the need for a proper currency display is pretty dire. It particularly comes into play when you’ve made all your main purchases and just want to get rid of your very last shillings via the bazaar tab.

But yeah, when the market opened I just dropped a cartographer’s hoard and a few ballads, unlawful devices and fourth city echoes and snatched up those new kataleptic tox boots. Other than that I don’t see much to get excited over in the trades currently being offered.

[quote=NotaWalrus]The exchange rate of rat-shillings is curious. The cartographer Hoard is the worst deal at 7.8 pence/shilling (p/s). The unlawful device is the best at 5 p/s, the captivating ballad is 7.1 p/s and the fourth city echo has no nominal value but I’m guessing it’s supposed to be 12.5E and so it’s 5 p/s too.[/quote]I think it’s a safe assumption that the pricier items cash in at a worse exchange rate simply to offset the actions saved compared to repeatedly selling cheaper ones.

[quote=Tsar Koschei]Yes, the need for a proper currency display is pretty dire. It particularly comes into play when you’ve made all your main purchases and just want to get rid of your very last shillings via the bazaar tab.

But yeah, when the market opened I just dropped a cartographer’s hoard and a few ballads, unlawful devices and fourth city echoes and snatched up those new kataleptic tox boots. Other than that I don’t see much to get excited over in the trades currently being offered.

hmm, if you value your actions at 4 echoes each (reasonable for super endgame players I think), then the exchange rate becomes 6.6p/s for unlawful devices and 4th city echoes, 7.6p/s for Captivating Ballads and 7.9p/s for hoards.

Even if you value your actions at 5 echoes each (which is a lot), then those numbers become 7p/s, 7,7p/s and 7.9p/s.

So even if you you value your actions very, very highly, cheaper items are still better for turn-in from a value standpoint, although only marginally.

Anyways, it’s kind of a moot point, because turning your items into rat-shillings and liquidating into 10 pence items is absurdly profitable no matter what you’re exchanging. If there comes a Rat Week where you can sell items you have in abundance, then do so. You’ll get a big premium.

I find this “pence per shilling” talk confusing. Shillings have a value of 10 pence, per the blog post and per the most efficient shilling-liquidation option (the 1-shilling items on the Bazaar tab).

Turning in Captivating Ballads gets you 87e worth of shillings, 24.5 echoes of profit. If you had a grind that produces them, add one more action and 24.5 echoes more profit to calculate that grind’s new EPA.

Purchasing Tales of Terror? You’re just taking a 20p loss in exchange for the convenience of not having to grind them the normal way, whatever the “normal way” would have been.

I find the whole thing much much easier to think about if you mentally convert shillings to pennies right at the start, before even trying to do any further calculations.

The Market’s closed for the first week, and the Gazette is telling is what winds and moons will be there next week! This is somewhat less useful right now since we don’t know what a East Wind or Hard-Boiled Moon will actually bring. But can at least tell that Ballads and Devices can still bring in Shillings, while Hoards cannot.

I have a bunch of Waswood flasks I’ll be converting into stolen poems this week.

[quote=PSGarak]…But can at least tell that Ballads and Devices can still bring in Shillings…

I have a bunch of Waswood flasks I’ll be converting into stolen poems this week.[/quote]Well, that’s a good start anyway! :) Time to get a few of them.

Hopefully the Rat Market would have some sort of connection with L. B. Industries, that at least one reward from the factory could be spent.

I’m not sure why a baker will want to buy bread. :D

I am grinding Captivating ballads from the Underclay.

24** actions = 600 Convincing falsehoods = 1 Captivating ballad = 870 Rat-shillings

Therefore, something worth 10k Rat-shillings requires approximately 11.5 Captivating ballads, rounded up to 12 Captivating ballads.

12 Captivating ballads require 288 actions.

**25 if you count entering Underclay which requires one action. Assuming guaranteed success (I maxed out stats so it’s okay for me). There’s an option in Underclay which yields 36 Convincing falsehoods but uses up a Dubious Testimony, I’m not considering that.

You can get 4th city echoes from L.B Industries. 4th City echos are ALWAYS avalible to sell for shillings at the Rat Market. This is the link.

If you are unsure what to grind in a given week for Rat Market, 4th city echoes from LB is always a option, though do note it was recently nerfed from 250 shillings per to 200. So it’s worse then other options, but you sacrifice the extra shillings for consistancy.
edited by Kylestien on 9/29/2021

I thought Loitering stopped being harmful a while back?

[quote=Kylestien]If you are unsure what to grind in a given week for Rat Market, 4th city echoes from LB is always a option, though do note it was recently nerfed from 250 shillings per to 200. So it’s worse then other options, but you sacrifice the extra shillings for consistancy.[/quote]Oh, this already happened, thanks for mentioning!

The Starstone Demark!

In the sense that it’s available for purchase from or sale to the rats?

Demark can be purchased. New item that can be sold is Parabolan Parable

That’s nice indeed, one of the few valuables I hadn’t gotten my hands of yet, been waiting for a new source to turn up.

Disappointing items this weekend, I grinded a lot of Captivating Ballads over the past week. I hope the Reported Location of a One-Time Prince of Hell will be available again in future, along with anything I’ve missed.

Good thing is this weekend’s items are cheap, won’t eat up too many of my Captivating Ballads.

In the sense that it’s available for purchase from or sale to the rats?[/quote]

It can be purchased.

Also can be purchased is the Eyeless Skull… not sure why anyone wants to buy that. Just do some digging in the Forgotten Quarter, you’ll find one or more eventually.

It can be purchased.

Also can be purchased is the Eyeless Skull… not sure why anyone wants to buy that. Just do some digging in the Forgotten Quarter, you’ll find one or more eventually.[/quote]

Five of them can be used to craft the ray-drenched cinder, which is useful both for opening up the nadir and for getting a pretty useful piece of equipment if you are seeking your heart’s desire, it seems much more convenient to me to buy them here than to rely on luck in the forgotten quarter

It can be purchased.

Also can be purchased is the Eyeless Skull… not sure why anyone wants to buy that. Just do some digging in the Forgotten Quarter, you’ll find one or more eventually.[/quote]

Five of them can be used to craft the ray-drenched cinder, which is useful both for opening up the nadir and for getting a pretty useful piece of equipment if you are seeking your heart’s desire, it seems much more convenient to me to buy them here than to rely on luck in the forgotten quarter[/quote]

In addition, the Forgotten Quarter sources all have quite bad EPA rate and are quite inconsistent. Since possessing an Eyeless Skull adds not one, but four undesirable, non-discardable cards into your hand, you generally want to get rid of them long before you get the five you need (trust me, I’ve tried and given up on farming five before new sources of Ray-Drenched Cinder were introduced in the last year. Having a reliable source of these is thus essentially the only sane way to get them and the Cinder. The only repeatable way to get one before you get to the Parabolan War or advanced Railway content, actually, if only available once in a Rat Blue Moon…

Just think it’s a way of purchasing a Ray-Drenched Cinder via the Rat Market, possibly at a discount if you have a pre-existent Eyeless Skull or more from randomly getting them in the Forgotten Quarter.

It’ll be interesting if this is the way we get a box of Apocyan light