The Rarest Item

What’s the rarest item in the game? I’d say A Sealed Copy of the Crimson Book, since it sells for a ridiculous amount of money and it can only be found on a card at a certain time of the year.

If your going by ownership there’s the cider. Only a select few have completed that grind. There are also a number of items that aren’t available anymore. In that category I’m going to go with the Gilded Crustacian. To have that you would have had to have a dark carapcaced crustacian, have happened to have logged on for the brief wash of sunlight that happens only once a few years ago and I think only lasted an hour, and have happened to chose the option that did the transformation.

Don’t forget the heptagoat!
(People who have the heptagoat: Nitebrite)
edited by suinicide on 6/4/2016

[quote=suinicide]Don’t forget the heptagoat!
(People who have the heptagoat: Nitebrite)
edited by suinicide on 6/4/2016[/quote]

Right, of course! It’s so rare I couldn’t even hold on to my memory of it.

It’s St Gawain’s Candle.

Mr Eaten’s calling card, there were a few of them and they passed through a few people’s hands but now there are only my four.

Dolan is the only person with the Jilt’s Treasure item as far as I know.

Spacemarine9 and I have Rubbery Conspirators but I don’t know how common those are.

Jilt’s Treasure??? Who, where, what and why?

Apparently it was a glitch that lasted about an hour. Added some extra things to random bundles.

sigh You know, everytime I login to FL I’m hoping for one of those legendary ‘glitches’. But when I’m online, everything’s always working perfectly as intended… ;)

What?

Okay I am new to this, like seriously I just joined How do get to the area or place to make a game on story nexus(I feel a little stupid asking this but I am new and spent a good 30 mins trying to figure it out.

never mind I have to find somewhere else then

What?[/quote]

Why is NiteBrite hoarding all the calling cards?[/quote]

They were duplicated using a glitch, and Alexis stopped that and decided to give them to her (She was the second person to receive them?). Since Seeking is gone, there’s probably nothing that can be done with them.
edited by suinicide on 6/5/2016

What?[/quote]

Why is NiteBrite hoarding all the calling cards?[/quote]

They were duplicated using a glitch, and Alexis stopped that and decided to give them to her (She was the second person to receive them?). Since Seeking is gone, there’s probably nothing that can be done with them.
edited by suinicide on 6/5/2016[/quote]
The idea that I would hoard anything is somewhat ironic. Suinicide sums up the situation very well and succinctly. The text below is just me venting about about being accused of card hoarding and isn’t super relevant to this topic which is why I put it in a spoiler box. It is not necessary to read this rant if you are here only to talk about rare items.

[spoiler]I had a well known advice for new characters post once, that recommended players take on a taboo or geis to add to the challenge and fun of playing the game. I don’t mention mine very often because it could be used against me rather effectively, but I will speak it here this once since it is topical. My character NiteBrite must help anyone who requests her aid through the proper channels provided it is reasonably within her power to do so. There’s some flexibility of interpretation here, and its possible to deceive even by only telling truths, but normally I play this straight and she helps everyone.

During Hallowmas 2013 I cyclically raised and slashed my stats in half seven times so that seven people could get the rare destins candle. I made and gave away like a dozen waxwails throughout my K&C career. Hallowmas and Christmas social organizing and noman emergency response are some relatively well known good works and public services I’ve been behind. I practically never refuse a social action, if someone has nightmares I will take them as my own, if they want dinner I will be an excellent host/guest.

Another recent example was a new player came to the IRC shortly before Christmas, crestfallen that, after crunching the numbers they found it was mathematically impossible for them to get the last handful of echos they needed to buy a four card lodging for the upgrade to a 5 carder. I converted four of my seven levels of Connected the Masters into first city coins for them and personally set them back on course. My whole career in Fallen London has been spent in the service of others, creating hope where before there was only tears. There’s basically nothing I have that I would not let go of for a good cause or person, or just to help someone else because I can. And it’s not just minor trinkets or heh, here’s one second chance- no some of these things took literal months of my life to make and I gave it freely to others. There were even many cider owners before I had one, and yet I was the first to publicly and freely share sips with the masses.

The calling cards I have, I have as the result of a bug. Everyone else lost their bugged cards so I don’t know why mine survived, but my theory is that at the time Fallen London didn’t think I existed due to the Scorched by the Sun eaten fate content/bug. I was an ended/non-existent character who couldn’t receive social actions properly from within Fallen London. It’s possible this effect shielded the cards from being removed as they were removed manually. It’s also possible Alexis just let me have them in a fit of good will/mercy; I don’t know and its impossible to say. But the important thing to note here is that the card stopped being usable at the same time that seeking ended. The social action was removed, it was after all -the- social action which caused the end of SMEN. Passing card duplication was the primary bug that shutdown seeking for all these years.

But if I could pass the cards? Yes, I absolutely would. Even when I didn’t know about the duplication, when I thought there was only one card in the entire game, I passed it on when I was no longer the best person to hold it- when others were more capable of finding lore I stepped aside and gave it up. Knowledge and community are so much more valuable than any physical possession or stat or quality. Finding lore and helping others is basically my reason for playing, even when that means letting go of all my possessions and material things. So to call me a hoarder in such a context, especially when intended as an insult is rather offensive to me. To say this means you know absolutely nothing about me or how I play.[/spoiler]
edited by NiteBrite on 6/5/2016

We all appreciate what you do to help all the new and/or troubled players, NiteBrite. Don’t let people get you down.

As for rare items, I remember seeing several unusual ones in random profiles. I’ll name the ones that I remember.

Primitive Hat
Rubbery Associate
Rubbery Conspirator

[quote=th8827]We all appreciate what you do to help all the new and/or troubled players, NiteBrite. Don’t let people get you down.

As for rare items, I remember seeing several unusual ones in random profiles. I’ll name the ones that I remember.

Primitive Hat
Rubbery Associate
Rubbery Conspirator[/quote]Oh! How could we forget about the Apple of Discord?
Back when Knife and Candle was closed for the first time, the Apple was rewarded to the top ten or five or ??? K&C players.

The associate and conspirator are rewards for support emails:
http://echobazaar.wikidot.com/companions#toc5
Also mentioned above is Wolfie! Which the wikidot says (above) was for a few of the first players.
As for the Primitive Hat, the wikia page leads to the wikidot page for Hats, which lists an item with the same description and art as the Primitive Hat, called the Persuasive Hat. Perhaps it was renamed? Anyways, the wikidot lists this as the source:
&quotNo longer available, a thankyou to the first five purchasers of virtual currency&quot

There’s also Queer Parcels, Knot-names, and these. Which were part of a weird luck based christmas thing.

This is all what I can gather from old threads:
Queer Parcels and Knot-names were available from paying the fate here:
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Mr_Sacks_stalks_the_streets_of_Fallen_London
The sender got a Knot-name and the receiver a Queer Parcel.
Knot-names could be used as a sort of second chance to preserve the Queer Parcel. (Read more here)
edited by Erika on 6/5/2016

Hum, this thread is an interesting history lesson, thank you all!
Now, when you old folks or erudites post about these items, would you mind posting the history behind them, their uses (current and old), their rarity and/or anything relevant to them. I think this would make a lovely museum thread!
Cheers!

I still have all of &quotthese&quot. ;)
I already had a Stone-Tentacle Key at the time, so I never traded in the items.

Speaking of rare items, what’s the best way to get Elemental Secrets without using Fate?

How about the False Lead item ? I don’t know if it is rare at all.