The quickest way to a room at the Brass Embassy?

There is a new option on the opportunity card that allows for the spending of brilliant souls, muscaria brandy and brass rings instead of souls. The cost is about 75% of what it was originally, but since I am not yet a person of some importance, I cannot buy or steal the materials directly. Does anyone have any advice as to where I can grind for souls, or if there is another method that I am neglecting?

I’m reasonably certain the fastest way to acquire these items is the Thefts of Particular Character in the Flit, especially if you have a gang of criminals.

You should be able to steal brilliant souls from the high end thieving venture in the flit, and I believe you can get regular souls from another option in that venture. That said, you’ll likely need to convert souls into brandy.

No need. You can steal the brandy in the Flit too.

I’m trying to earn a room at the Embassy myself, but since this is just killing actions until the content cap is raised, I feel no need to take the most efficient route. So I’m currently trying to earn enough Amanita Sherry to poison a ring of spirifers using souls gifted to, then larcenously rescued from, the Brass Embassy.
edited by Patrick Reding on 2/20/2012

The Capering Relicker can also get you items on the Infernal chain, depending on how high your Persuasive is. Not as grindable as The Big One (or as action-efficient, I think) as The Big One, but it’s nice to be able to apply scraps towards wherever you need them at the moment.

When it comes to scraps it seems that it’s more efficient to trade them for Brilliant Souls than for Brandy. But yes, the flit is the best primary source and as mr. Reding remarked, if you’re thinking of getting a criminal gang at some point anyway it is definitly worth it getting it first.

Gang of Hoodlums and Well Planned Villainy (the multi-action options on The Big One that give the biggest boost to Casing…) both require being a Person of Some Importance, alas. But I think the Flit is still the most efficient route to Brilliant Souls and Brandy, even if you’re using the lower-level The Big One actions.

“The Decoy” option is almost as good, granting 3cp and 10-13p of random items for one action. But it seems odd to be grinding for the final lodgings when one hasn’t even become a PoSI yet. It’s generally the sort of thing you hold off doing until you have no other options available to you.
edited by Patrick Reding on 2/21/2012

Having already started grinding Souls for this very purpose, is there a better place to grind them than Tracking Down a Spirifer in Ladybones Road. Sadly I’m only getting 28 x Souls per action, which seems pretty pityful. Or is it actually better to grind something generic in Unfinished Business areas and sell those to buy Souls?

Edit - Is the Fate locked Soul trade story a good place to get Souls? I assume it is, but haven’t tried it…
edited by REALJimBob on 2/21/2012

[quote=REALJimBob]Having already started grinding Souls for this very purpose, is there a better place to grind them than Tracking Down a Spirifer in Ladybones Road. Sadly I’m only getting 28 x Souls per action, which seems pretty pityful. Or is it actually better to grind something generic in Unfinished Business areas and sell those to buy Souls?

Edit - Is the Fate locked Soul trade story a good place to get Souls? I assume it is, but haven’t tried it…
edited by REALJimBob on 2/21/2012[/quote]
You can earn Souls directly from Unfinished Business in Spite at a rate of 50 per action, using the “The Prince of…” option. The only reason you’d need to grind something generic is if you spent Fate to skip the Shadowy requirement for becoming a PoSI, which would just be foolish.
edited by Patrick Reding on 2/21/2012

[quote=REALJimBob]Edit - Is the Fate locked Soul trade story a good place to get Souls? I assume it is, but haven’t tried it…
edited by REALJimBob on 2/21/2012[/quote]

I don’t believe so. Don’t have my notes on me, but I seem to recall only one payout of Souls, which is less than you’d get by grinding for those actions. On the other hand, I took the Shepherd’s path, and the Spirifer’s might be more profitable in that regard. (It does unlock an option on the Royal Bethlehem card to get Souls, if you have that lodging, but the wiki says it’s only 40 Souls, which seems low for how far in the game you’d have to be to afford a top-tier lodging)

You can earn Souls directly from Unfinished Business in Spite at a rate of 50 per action, using the “The Prince of…” option. The only reason you’d need to grind something generic is if you spent Fate to skip the Shadowy requirement for becoming a PoSI, which would just be foolish.
[/quote]

You know I’d not even noticed that gave Souls, thank you.

I don’t believe so. Don’t have my notes on me, but I seem to recall only one payout of Souls, which is less than you’d get by grinding for those actions.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, I’m sure I’ll follow the Soul Trade story eventually, just trying to round out my Lodgings collection atm… :)

I see why they call it grind, these Souls don’t collect themselves you know… Nearly 25k collected so far…

And, of course, now I’ve got the Souls I need, the troublesome card won’t appear…

Yeah, it’s always annoying waiting for particular opportunity cards to appear. That’s why it’s a good idea to hold onto one while you grind.

A late answer I know But it might help someone.
The quickest way to get it currently is (pre PosI) the Tipping your hat to devils option in unfinished business on ladybones road which gives you Amanita Sherry at a rate of ~10 per action (or converted to appropriate numbers 105 b-souls/20 bottles of brandy for 51/53 actions respectively) whereas the thefts in the flit take 56 actions for the same amount (without an extra gain of 2,50 echos). It balances out with the gang of hoodlums which take 46,666… actions for the same amount but without the extra echos (with Shadowy 101). Though at this point one likely has higher shadowy here the tipping points are at Shadowy 122 for the 3 cp options and and Shadowy 62 for the gang of hoodlums

On an additional note the PosI option for Souls has the same average payout as the Tipping your hat option but with a risk of losing conneceted helll and getting nothing at all up to shadowy 167
edited by Moritz on 8/8/2015
edited by Moritz on 8/8/2015

Three and a half years late, Moritz. :-p

(I notice someone down-voted Moritz’s comment. I’ve rebalanced it to 0, but perhaps whoever it was could provide better information instead, if that one was not up to scratch? ^_^ )

Incidentally, if anyone else is coming across this thread later, there might be more up-to-date answers on http://community.failbettergames.com/topic20343-grinding-for-a-guest-room-at-the-brass-embassy.aspx