The princess' reward. (Fate lock question)

So I just finished the affair with the doll. I let the princess eat me. (hehe) And the reward was awesome. An action in my lodgings that allowed me to constantly raise my making waves. Spent like ten points on it. Now the option seems to be gone and I really want it back. Like seriously that option was making the making waves. My damn’d sworn enemy into a fair trade. Can someone please tell me how to get back my precious princess. T^T

The option was supposed to be an Opportunity Card, like those found with other Affiliations. For a while the option (whether it be the Making Waves option or the Connected: The Docks increase) was grindable in one’s Lodgings, but Chris has since fixed it, because he hates us and wants us to be sad…

Your Affiliation-related card should now show up, as it was meant to, in your Opportunity deck.[li]
edited by The Dark Gentleman on 12/26/2014

[quote=The Dark Gentleman]The option was supposed to be an Opportunity Card, like those found with other Affiliations. For a while the option (whether it be the Making Waves option or the Connected: The Docks increase) was grindable in one’s Lodgings, but Chris has since fixed it, because he hates us and wants us to be sad…

Your Affiliation-related card should show up, as it was meant to, in your Opportunity deck now.[/quote]

I’m not gonna lie. I hate making waves so much it makes me kinda not play the game any more. >_> Can they please add a simple way to grind making waves? I’d gladly pay like 20$ for a permanent way to grind it. Even if it was in game resource intense.

There is! The Singing Mandrake lets you do 3-action story-lets for about 4-8 CP each. For greater efficiency, Orphanage/Salon and Lodgings Cards can net you I think maximum ~450 CP of Making Waves with a single card. You will need to stock up resources and plan your attack though. Also, make sure you’re using your Free Evenings for dinners with friends.

There’s lots more info on the wiki. Here’s a good place to start:
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Category:A_Salon
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Scheme:_Set_up_an_Orphanage

Also, remember getting more Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable gear lowers the amount of Making Waves you need for your next notability point. If you’re willing go through the Research Expedition to the Zee, and pay for the fate-locked ending to the Labyrinth quests, you can get a pet that gives +2 to Dreaded and Bizarre, lowering the amount of MW you need by about 4 levels each time. Really handy.

Also, remember, if you’re not a POSI, don’t bother! Seriously. Wait. And if you are, remember for now Notability is only really handy if you
a) want advanced professions, and that caps at 5 (pretty easy to attain and maintain even without megagrinding)
b) want a POSI reputation (Legendary Charisma, Extraordinary Mind,etc.), which also takes 5 and only consumes 2 points.
c) want extra levels in Watchful/Shadowy/Persuasive/Dangerous after this- and really, I’d recommend waiting. God knows what the requirements are for the advanced advanced professions, and cashing in notability points just doesn’t make sense when you might need them later. ESPECIALLY if you are going into the Nadir, which will eat your stats. Literally.
d) are desperate to grind Scholar of the Correspondence, and want the extra watchful levels to continue up to Courier’s Footprint. If you are (god help you), you’re on your own- you’re at one of the most momentous grinds in the game, and it’s mostly for bragging rights at this point.
edited by friendshipranger on 12/26/2014

I’m totally a POSI. =p I have a Ubergoat for gosh sake. Do the Bizzare, Dreaded and Respectable really affect making waves? Cause if so I should be getting notability out the ears. Like with the right gear I can have 11 Respectable 9 Dreaded and 3 Bizarre. So unless your referring to a way to raise MW I don’t know about I don’t know. Like do those stats only affect the actual card or? Also side note who wants to accept 5 dinners from me in a row?

Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable lower the Making Waves requirement for increasing your Notability - each point decreases it by 1 level if I’m not mistaken.

Beyond that it’s just a matter of playing faction cards when they turn up. Society is especially good, since it gives several points for your action. I only have 10 Notability, but I find it really easy to maintain it by playing the cards that turn up. Private Suppers make maintaining it super easy. One’s Public is also great if you were active in the Halloween event, and I think there’s one or two others I play.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/26/2014

[quote=Sara Hysaro]Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable lower the Making Waves requirement for increasing your Notability - each point decreases it by 1 level if I’m not mistaken.

Beyond that it’s just a matter of playing faction cards when they turn up. Society is especially good, since it gives several points for your action. I only have 10 Notability, but I find it really easy to maintain it by playing the cards that turn up. Private Suppers make maintaining it super easy.[/quote]

Okay first off. How do you have 10 Not? Did that take like two months? >_> Secondly. Does the bonus for Dreaded, Bizzar and such only work on the Amanuensis actual card? Cause I’ll tell you right now. Having them equipped does jack squat to the social option from your lodgings.

The formula for Making Waves to Notability conversion is:

Required MW = 20 - (B + D + R) + 4 x (current Notability)

You’ll notice the Making Waves requirements decrease for summoning Slowcake’s Amanuensis as you equip more BDR gear (BDR being Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable, respectively.)
[li][/li][li]
edited by The Dark Gentleman on 12/26/2014

Yes, it only works on the Amanuensis card. It makes it easier to gain Notability by reducing the number of Making Waves you need.

You know, I’m not sure how long it took me to get to 10. I only deliberately worked for the first 7 points because they were easy to get. 8 and 9 I got by playing the Fidgeting Writer for Searing Enigmas (I wanted an Impossible Theorem), and 10 was obtained through the Halloween event. Believe me, I’m not any more interested in it than you are! I just took advantage of what turned up as I focused on my own interests.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 12/26/2014

[quote=Sara Hysaro]Yes, it only works on the Amanuensis card. It makes it easier to gain Notability by reducing the number of Making Waves you need.

You know, I’m not sure how long it took me to get to 10. I only deliberately worked for the first 7 points because they were easy to get. 8 and 9 I got by playing the Fidgeting Writer for Searing Enigmas (I wanted an Impossible Theorem), and 10 was obtained through the Halloween event. Believe me, I’m not anymore interested in it than you are! I just took advantage of what turned up as I focused on my own interests.[/quote]

Okay so I fiddled with my equips. Good news is it does lower the lodging requirement for MW. I’ve seen it drop with me own eyes. So correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the actual Amanuensis card have a lower requirement for the next level of Not? I vaguely remember that being the case. Can anyone tell me what animal is supposed to give +6 in the desired stats? All I can think is a certain snake and I don’t know if I’m willing to make another one. >_>

The Making Waves requirement to force the Amanuensis to turn up on your doorstep is the same exact level you need to increase your Notability to the next level.

Not sure what you’re talking about regarding animals. The best pet you have for Notability is your Ubergoat.

[quote=Sara Hysaro]The Making Waves requirement to force the Amanuensis to turn up on your doorstep is the same exact level you need to increase your Notability to the next level.

Not sure what you’re talking about regarding animals. The best pet you have for Notability is your Ubergoat.[/quote]

Yah I scoured the wiki. Basically the only items that could give me a bigger boost are both from the feast of roses. I’m just so glad I found something that at least makes MW easier. Now I really want a tanned face and a Golden Spiked Rosary. That extra -2 to MW would make my year. T^T

At least the Feast isn’t too far off. You could pick up one or both of them if you have the funds for it. I personally just picked up the Tanned Face for my main, since the price of both was just a bit too steep for me. It’s a nice little bonus, but still just a bonus.

Anyway, if you find yourself getting tired of Notability don’t feel too bad about neglecting it. It’s a side thing you can do, like working on your Newspaper or setting off on expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter. It can be useful, but I don’t think it’s terribly important.

I just want to upgrade my Brass Embassy suite. Also I want to raise it for whenever they decide to upgrade the jobs again.I mean between this and say grinding zailorship or like gain a crazy amount of Tears or something I don’t know. I kinda just want another super grindy thing to work towards say a Megagoat or something of that sort.

P.S. Whats the Courier’s Footprint? I’m game for a insane grind that increases my Scholar stat.
edited by Cubethulhu on 12/26/2014

Ah~ well, the Salon/Orphanage will help out immensely. You’ll need to invest resources/connections into them, but it’s an excellent way of pretty much banking Making Waves until you’re ready for them.

Courier’s Footprint is the title for Scholar of the Correspondence 21. You can raise your Scholar quality using Shadowy Dealings in the University, but you need to be able to boost your Watchful up to 300 to attain it.

[quote=Branden Linton]
P.S. Whats the Courier’s Footprint? I’m game for a insane grind that increases my Scholar stat.
edited by Cubethulhu on 12/26/2014[/quote]
I don’t know. But I suspect…

And I will have still more reason to seek out Lilac this year, I think.

Doesn’t making waves protect your Not? Like as long as your waves is above your Not your good right?

Yep, Making Waves protects your Notability. As long as the two are equal or Making Waves is higher than your Notability you’ll be good.

Also, I messed up. The Ubergoat = the Owl in terms of BDR. Don’t know why I thought it gave respectable too.

I’ll just add to friendshipranger’s fine list also the following few Notability usages:

Regarding grinding MW:

Don’t worry too much about the new princess option being a card and thus not grindable. It only gave 1 CP of MW as far as I could see, and there are already various alternatives for this rate of getting MW, including:

• If you still have access to the Court, playing The Life of the Mind gives you a repeatable 1 CP source of MW.[/li][li]Side conversions of 3rd tier items from your inventory gives a bit more than 1 CP of MW per action (it’s variable - I believe the average is close to 1.5 CP per action). It takes 13 actions to convert all the way back to the item you started with, and 4 of those conversions give a few points of MW. And there’s no cost (except for the actions themselves).

I’d recommend to select the level of Notability you’re after and grind once for that target (depending on your target and your BDR it might take a few days/weeks). Keeping enough MW afterwards to maintain that level of Notability is fairly easy now. Hell, just from the marrying the Celebrated Artist’s Model I get a fairly common (and profitable!) opp card which can easily by itself maintain Notability at level 8-9 without any other action that week.

Since you’re willing to spend Fate on this, then I’m sure you’ll find more ways to raise your BDR. The possibilities are listed in the relevant pages for Hats, Clothing, Gloves, Weapons, Boots, Companions, Affiliation, Transport, Home Comfort, Ship, Spouse and Club. And if you don’t already have a tattoo, then maybe this year’s Feast of the Exceptional Rose will again provide this opportunity (which can give one point of BDR).

As others have listed, each point of BDR decreases the needed MW level. So always equip your best BDR gear before calling on the Amanuensis.

Edit: Fixed incorrect info on how much BDR affects needed MW.

edited by dov on 12/27/2014