The Mystery of the Boatman

If we believe the late professor whose body may be anatomised at Station III, the soul is in fact only a kind of gas that sits within the body. I wonder whether it might, in fact, be hydrogen and helium - star-components. In any case, it’s clear that the soul and the mind are broadly separate entities, though closely intertwined enough that each shapes the other.

Isn’t one of Hell’s exports hydrogen?

Is Hell taking our souls, rendering them down, and selling them back to us to burn for light?!

So that’s where Tyler Durden (who is clearly a Fingerking) got the idea about the soap.

I’ve also been a mite confused since the Light Fingers Ambition part where you get buried alive and the only way to get out is by bashing your head until you die or to scream until you go crazy. If your body was so incapacitated that even if you came back to it you’d have no choice but to die again, then theoretically that would be a neverending cycle until something else happens. But in this instance, you end up going back to your lodgings and having a chance to get back at the guy who put you in that situation in the first place. This could be a game mechanics thing that they haven’t quite woven into the lore yet, but then it would imply that the Boatman at least had something to do with moving your body back to a point where you could actually do something with it once you got off the boat. Of course, on a different note, that would also imply that going to the RB also does something similar, but who knows?
edited by Iona Dre’emt on 10/9/2017

Perhaps the Manager finds you roaming the mirror marches and takes you into the Royal Beth for rehabilitation.
If you have a Memory of Light, you get to experience the mirror marches because you are remembering it.

If you’re talking about going from the Mirror Marches to the Royal Bethlehem, you jump through a mirror. Also, I don’t think the Manager is able to go into Parabola or walks through the Mirror Marches but I could be wrong.