The Mutton Island Re-enactment of... what exactly?

I’m confused?

‘Wheat’ in Britain is just ‘wheat’ . . . we don’t call it ‘corn’: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat#Naming

&quotMaize&quot is fair enough . . . I guess for us ‘corn’ is more sweetcorn.[/quote]

Maybe where you live ;)

Mind you, I’m not British myself… the reality seems even more confusing though: according to the wiktionary definition, corn can mean wheat, barley or even oats, depending on where you are!***

So the &quotcorn beer&quot of Mutton Island could be regular barley-made as well as wheat beer… but I really don’t believe that &quotcorn&quot here is used in its US meaning, since the whole game is explicitly written in British English.

*** though maybe those definitions are dated and current usage differs widely…?!
edited by phryne on 9/3/2016

Corn is a general term for cereal crops, but it’s also understood as a synonym for maize. All beer is made from some kind of cereal so I don’t think it would be a detail worth mentioning unless it was specifically corn/maize, which is very unusual.

On the other hand they don’t really drink much beer of any sort in the Neath, presumably because they need plants to make it with.

In a rare success for speaking to the incognito Master at the Carnival, Mr Wines explicitly mentions the maize-wine of the Third City…

Happy to talk IC about 3rd city (MesoAmerican) beliefs, rituals, and ceremonies relevant to this topic, and wells and sacrifices in general.

If you are interested in this lore, look me up in game!

Hmm. The text doesn’t just say &quotcorn,&quot but &quotan ear of corn,&quot which makes me think it means the American kind. You’d figure wheat or barley would be referred to in bushels.
edited by MrUnderhill89 on 9/3/2016

An ear of corn simply means that guy was the now-Mr.-Apples (foodstuffs and farming). If it’s the third city, then it would have been American, and corn as in corn on the cob would be a common foodsource. Can’t weigh in on drinks or beer or whatever. ^.^;;
edited by shylarah on 9/3/2016

The expression &quotear of corn&quot is perfectly likely to refer to wheat, and in the past you would have heard it at least as often as &quotear of wheat&quot. You can find it in literary expressions, or in language such as that found in heraldic descriptions.

There’s a clue that Mutton Island descended with London in the text of &quotDinner in the Fallen Columns&quot (completed by the facetious line in the result, &quotPull up a bas-relief and sit yer arse down&quot). Even if classical architecture could be found in the First City (though probably not in the Second and definitely not in the Third or Fourth), neo-classical is a product of the modern age, in this case Georgian or Victorian. And it’s safe to assume that Londoners didn’t build a big library after the Fall in that particular location.