The Museum of Mistakes (Spoilers!)

Could also be Troilus and Cressida; after all, it is also a Trojan War tragedy, so the date fits. In Shakespeare’s play we hear that Troilus has black hair (or at least, dark hair against which one white hair stands out) and that Cressida has ‘bright hair’ but darker than Helen’s.

Mr Dawson is right, I think, to suggest that conflating ‘queen of Carthage’ (who had ‘bright hair’ too; in the myth her hair plays a part at her death) with the two locks is problematic.

One of the updates to the new Numinastrix content hints [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]towards a pair of eyes in the Museum of Mistakes[/color]. Oedipus’? Or did someone else pay for something with their sight?

I’m inclined to agree with you Mr. Azarias. The only trouble I can think of with Oedipus is that he put his eyes out, not removed them. I’m not sure if that matters or not for the Museum’s purposes but it’s worth mentioning. He made a grave mistake indeed though, I’d be shocked if the Museum didn’t include him.

The only other blinding that comes to mind at the moment is in King Lear - Gloucester has his eyes put out. Not sure if there’s anything to that, being strictly fictional though.

[quote=Dawson]I’m inclined to agree with you Mr. Azarias. The only trouble I can think of with Oedipus is that he put his eyes out, not removed them. I’m not sure if that matters or not for the Museum’s purposes but it’s worth mentioning. He made a grave mistake indeed though, I’d be shocked if the Museum didn’t include him.

The only other blinding that comes to mind at the moment is in King Lear - Gloucester has his eyes put out. Not sure if there’s anything to that, being strictly fictional though.[/quote]

Is Theseus any less fictional? The sailcloth is certainly his.
The eyes could always have something to do with sorrow spiders…

Well see, Theseus (and Oedipus for that matter) are sort of legendary characters - The characters in Lear certainly never existed, which is why I doubt they’re involved.

Correction to my post above: They talk about [color=rgb(255, 255, 255)]“the eye,” as in singular[/color]. Polyphemous doesn’t really fit, but that’s all I’ve got.

Odin, perhaps? His sacrifice isn’t generally considered a mistake, but with Adam and Eve’s presence in the Museum… There’s a certain common theme here, isn’t it? Pursuing knowledge leads to no good (seekers of the name, beware?).

Or it could be the eye of the Graeae that Perseus stole and kept from them till they showed him the way to the Hesperides.
edited by Maddyanne on 4/12/2012