The Missionary and the Firebrand: After the Nadir

Based on what I found on the wikia site, this storylet is supposed to appear in the Forgotten Quarter after you leave the Cave of the Nadir, supposedly for the first time. Except for me, it never showed up.

So, does anyone know if there are any additional requirements for this to appear? Is it somehow bound into your &quotIntimate with the Secular Missionary&quot and &quotIntimate with the Revolutionary Firebrand&quot qualities? I have the Missionary on 21 and the Firebrand on 16, after talking with the Missionary inside the Cave of the Nadir but opting not to talk with the Firebrand for fear of lowering my &quotIntimate with the Secular Missionary&quot quality.

Or perhaps it may be tied to another quality, e.g. the Airs of the Forgotten Quarter or the Airs of London? Is it perhaps dependant on getting the &quotTalk with your chosen ally&quot option during the Expedition itself (which I never got the chance to even glimpse, the Airs never being right, unfortunately)?

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and perchance knows if and how it’s possible to solve it? Is it possible to get this storylet to appear after I return to the Cave and talk to the Firebrand, perhaps? Or is it scripted to only appear after the first stay in the Cave?

I gather this is the only way to get the Missionary as a Companion; missing out on her is something of a dealbreaker for me since she was the foremost reason I undertook the entire venture. Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Sir Reginald Monteroy

The Secular Missionary and the Firebrand can both be upgraded at a hefty cost in fate during the Feast of the Exceptional Rose. However, they remain companions and their new stats are not at all noteworthy. If you happen to have either as a companion already then you have basically reached the end of their content (for the time being).

The absence of the event that allowed you to choose them is odd. Perhaps send Failbetter a bug report? Mention as well who would have been your chosen companion, they may deign to help you acquire it.

edited by Owen Wulf on 3/9/2015

Actually, both the Revolutionary Firebrand and Secular Missionary have Persuasive boosts of 9 when you upgrade them at the Feast of the Exceptional Rose. That’s the highest boost any Persuasive companion bestows, with all the rest being tied to Professions.

I forget if you need to speak to both the Missionary and the Firebrand for the storylet to trigger, but there’s not Intimate requirement on the option that gives you the Secular Missionary companion so there’s no harm in doing so. I would still recommend sending an email to support@failbettergames.com just to be sure.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/9/2015

The After the Nadir storylet should autofire when you leave the nadir the first time.

Although also your Intimite with the Revolutionary Firebrand should be 20 after you talk to the Missionary in the Nadir? 16 is you sided with the Firebrand when you entered.

So it seems like either you rejected her or something in the Nadir or its a bug.

If the stuff on the wiki is right about setting values talking to the Firebrand should fix it, but, obviously will side you with the firebrand.

Support may be able to help more.

Siding with the Firebrand in the Cave of the Nadir won’t have an impact on the end result, thankfully, assuming you need to do that rather than this being an unfortunate bug.

edited by Sara Hysaro on 3/9/2015

I just had the same thing happen. Did you ever find out what it was?

[quote=Aardvark]Based on what I found on the wikia site, this storylet is supposed to appear in the Forgotten Quarter after you leave the Cave of the Nadir, supposedly for the first time. Except for me, it never showed up.

So, does anyone know if there are any additional requirements for this to appear? Is it somehow bound into your &quotIntimate with the Secular Missionary&quot and &quotIntimate with the Revolutionary Firebrand&quot qualities? I have the Missionary on 21 and the Firebrand on 16, after talking with the Missionary inside the Cave of the Nadir but opting not to talk with the Firebrand for fear of lowering my &quotIntimate with the Secular Missionary&quot quality.

Or perhaps it may be tied to another quality, e.g. the Airs of the Forgotten Quarter or the Airs of London? Is it perhaps dependant on getting the &quotTalk with your chosen ally&quot option during the Expedition itself (which I never got the chance to even glimpse, the Airs never being right, unfortunately)?

Has anyone encountered a similar problem, and perchance knows if and how it’s possible to solve it? Is it possible to get this storylet to appear after I return to the Cave and talk to the Firebrand, perhaps? Or is it scripted to only appear after the first stay in the Cave?

I gather this is the only way to get the Missionary as a Companion; missing out on her is something of a dealbreaker for me since she was the foremost reason I undertook the entire venture. Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Sir Reginald Monteroy[/quote]

Do you still remember your highest irrigo exposure back then? Or did this storylet finally showed up for you?

My experience with this stage of the story was that I had to draw cards for, and talk to, both the Missionary and the Firebrand while inside the Nadir. Otherwise, the exist story wouldn’t trigger. Anyone still having trouble, well, I think you’ll be able to re-enter until you draw the required cards. It’s a bit of an odd mechanic - I’m not 100% sure it was working as intended when I played it.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]My experience with this stage of the story was that I had to draw cards for, and talk to, both the Missionary and the Firebrand while inside the Nadir. Otherwise, the exist story wouldn’t trigger. Anyone still having trouble, well, I think you’ll be able to re-enter until you draw the required cards. It’s a bit of an odd mechanic - I’m not 100% sure it was working as intended when I played it.[/quote]From a few comments last year, seems it’s tied to irrigo; need to get it high enough to decrease our stats. Someone mentioned the storylet popping up right after getting the stats loss notification, while they didn’t manage to draw a card to talk with the Firebrand. And since that was then, curious whether it’s changed or not. Haven’t advanced this one enough to test it.