The Meetings of Lady Strange and Don Vazquez

The following is a series of notes taken by Lady Isabelle Strange on conversations we both had at Caligula Coffee House and other places. It all started when said Lady took notice of certain Letters of Rejection published by Yours Truly in a well known London newspaper. Moved by a certain sort of affection, she agreed to meet me, with the possibility of maybe building a romantic relationship. [li]
The encounters did not ended in the way I expected, but instead produced a most interesting conversation. As we are currently in friendly terms, we have decided sharing the notes with the readers, with the healthy intent of enlightening them, or at least, of providing entertaining material for their avid minds.
Without further ado, I will present you with the transcript of our first conversation, centered around our professional interests. Lady Isabelle herself will continue the story.

&quotDear Isabelle, for our first meeting, I thought it would be a good idea to talk about our professions and interests.
I have recently achieved recognition as an Author, what I hope you will find interesting as you have expressed interested in books. I have so far completed two short stories, a drama about love that was critically acclaimed at Court and the futuristic and slightly iconoclastic novel :&quotRisen London: a Tale of the Future&quot.
I had previously worked as a Watcher for the constables, but became disaffected after my ethics crossed with the interests of the Masters, leading to me being expelled from the University. I definitely advise you caution if you are still embroiled in their intrigues. What about you? How does a Strange Lady earns a crust in this city? &quot

Good Don Vazquez, as the barony of Strange is too far off in Peebles for me to use my income for anything in the neath, I am doing what I can in the realms of academia. I would like to become an author, but have yet to work up to it, as I am still enjoying my time as a lecturer in the university. The rarefied atmosphere reminds me so much of Cambridge when I was there. My research is predominantly academic, touching on ancient Greek philosophy, or here in the neath, the political philosophy of the Church as well as philia amongst the devils. Currently, I use my wits and exercise some sleights of hands here and there. For you see, my loathsome imp is still of use to me and I keep him around. It seems the charitable thing to do once he started sleeping outside my front door. Perhaps I might contemplate a change of occupation once I have achieved some headway in the university and complete my perambulations in the Forgotten Quarter. Many thanks for your warnings against the Masters and the University. I am generally apathetic to politics and watch everything with a jaundiced eye. London has changed much since my first season here many moons ago… Some sources inform me I should acquire a ship, but I am putting that off for the moment as I do not know if zee travelling will agree with me. Likewise, I have put off my presentation to the present court for the moment. I was presented in my salad days when the court was on the surface, of course. But things are so very different here that I prefer not to be presented at court until I am ready. Yrs. &ca, Isabelle Strange.

Lady Taimi, a great fan of both participants, finds some popping corn and sits back to watch the show

Dear Isabelle,
My apologies for not reciprocating your invitation earlier. As you might have heard, I have just spend some time in the Tomb-Colonies. It all started when I was experimenting with a Bejeweled Lens at my lodgings at the Royal Bethelem Hotel, with odd but spectacular results. A few hours later I was wondering around Veilgarden, looking for inspiration, when I met a group of bohemians, admirers and other revelers. Some glasses of wine were followed by some more of absinthe, and then the events of the night became slightly blurred. Come the morning, I realized that the party has continued in one of my lodgings, and there was no other acceptable way than to take a ship and leave London for a few days, until the massive scandal subdued. Non surprisingly, my agent informed me at my return that the sales of my books had soared during my absence, what I am grateful for.
I hope that the news of my scandalous behavior do not cause you a rejection for my person. I have the time to think over my actions while on exile, and even I am not fully repentant, it helped to increase my self control. I must also informed you that I missed your company very much, what took me to reject written advances by previous lovers. Changing subject, I must admit that I found odd that mention to a loathsome imp that you mentioned in our last meeting. You do not strike me as the type of lady to associate with urchins, so I assumed that you obtained it through some Infernal relationships.
Please, do not misunderstand me in this, I am not one to judge the morals of others. Actually, I am currently undergoing a moral and religious crisis, the details of which I would love to discuss with you in the future, if you are happy to listen to my woes and offer me some advice.

Good Don Vazquez,
It is a habit of mine not to believe something until I have seen it for myself and have established concrete proof. Gossip being that which it is in the metropolis, my household expenditure on salt must be monstrously prodigious. It is with some relief that I receive the news of your return, for when I read of your encounter with les bohemes, I had almost feared you were beset by footpads. Since incidences that happen through no fault of one’s own can scarcely be blamed on a person, I do not think much of it. I do not mind the urchins in that I am not one to pretend they do not exist. They may be malodorous, have execrable manner and consume more cake than is good for any creature, but they are unseen by the masses. Consequently, they hear, see and know a great deal more than the ton as we know it. Therefore some biscuits and some small kindnesses to them on occasion are expedient to extracting information from them in pressing times. Moreover, my little imp was a gift from one of my infernal acquaintances with whom I have the most enlightening correspondence on philosophy, theology and household management. Until the little creature outlives his purpose and I have moved on to another means of improving my income, I shall keep him by. Uncertain as I am as to whether I would be able to offer any advice, I have no objection to hearing you out on your moral and religious crisis. There are times when a new perspective on issues could improve your understanding of your own affairs and where you stand in your schema of things.
Yrs. &ca,
Isabelle Strange.
edited by Lady Strange on 3/2/2014

Dear Isabelle,
I am completely touched by you expressing real concern about my health during our last meeting. I do not know if I should take this a signal that I am getting closer to my intentions, but a gentleman is allowed to dream. I am also very happy that you are considering a career as an Author. Not all of us are bohemians, as some might think, but there are also academics among us. I actually consider myself as such, my subject of study being Geography and History of the Neath. I have also some of the imagineer in me, and have designed a Zubmarine, in which I dream to visit the Elder Continent once is finished. If you were to need help in accomplishing the recognition necessary, do not hesitate to let me know. I would not only personally support you in the endeavor, but I can also introduce you to some good old friends, some with much more recognition than myself and who were of great help for me.
Regarding my personal crisis, I do not think that a public coffee place, always riddled with eavesdroppers, spies and the kind, is the best place to have such discussions. I am so bold to suggest so, perhaps a private supper in my lodgings, if you have any free evenings this weeks, and if you do not consider the offer unacceptable, would be the perfect setting for such deep matters.
[li]

Fie on your conceit, Don Vazquez. ‘Tis amusing, I grant you, and I suspect you’re merely funning me. Concern is simply that which one demonstrates for other creatures. I have had the misfortune to be beset by mohawks whilst in the environs of Veilgarden, even though I had taken the precaution of calling a chair. Despite my complaints to the constabulary and a strongly worded letter to the editor of the gazette on these public menaces, these footpads were not apprehended. It stands to reason these elements are still abroad in that area and I advise all my acquaintances headed to that area to take heed. A submarine! How fascinating. I have never seen one outside my books. I am still holding off on any zee-fairing vessel at the moment, as my commitments to the university and research in the Forgotten Quarter forbid me from travelling further afield at the moment. A coffeehouse is suitable enough for common conversation, but like a ballroom, all talk has to be stilted. I am not opposed to a small supper, for I have no doubt your lackeys will be skulking around to give our meeting the necessary propriety.
Yrs. &ca,
Isabelle Strange

Dear Isabelle,
Welcome to my Lodgings. I hope the sound of the neighbors will not cause you discomfort. My story is long, and I am not sure I will be able to finish it in a single night. So I will go straight to the point, insofar is possible. As you probably know, I was born a raised in the warm and sunny lands of south Spain. My dear mother was English, though, the child of a Bristol wine merchant who brought his family with him when he decided to own and manage his own vineyard. My father was a local bourgeois, owner of a successful naval insurance company. My mother converted to catholicism, in which I was brought up, but always spoke fondly of her beloved Church of England. And, even though I was not ever an assiduous churchgoer when I came of age, I always held a deep faith in my heart.
When I arrived to this city we still call London, one of my first friends was a most loquacious vicar from Ladybones Road, who you most likely have also encountered. And he told me what I then thought the most atrocious abomination, this being that devils freely roamed the streets of the city, and even held an Embassy. On his behalf, I investigated this creatures, and when he asked my opinion about them, I concluded more research was needed. I must finish now, but I will invite you again tomorrow.
[li]

My views in general may be a little detached, for I take religion as a concept rather than a deep rooted, strongly held belief. The things I say may discomfit you, be a trifle academic or quite simply things you do not wish, but I make no apologies for them. Faith, as you rightly pointed out, is something that one holds in one’s heart or mind. How one chooses to hold it and where one chooses to hold it are issues best left to oneself. No two people have the same reasons for holding on to a dearest wish or for believing an old teaching. Devils are no more abominations than the ancient Greek or Roman gods or the Christian God or animals. Like the ancient gods of antiquity, devils have their human foibles, some semblance of emotion and their own strengths. Like the Christian God too, the devils of London are capable of being reasonable, approachable and accepting on the one hand, yet vicious, jealous, cruel and violent on the other. They have dark and light in them as do most things that live and breathe. There are some who are decent and refuse to take a soul; there are some moved to pity; and there are some who are entirely diabolical. Whatever their personalities, they do not hide nor do they affect pretence at something they are not. However, in contrast to human beings, devils have the advantage of being frank with their aims and intentions. One does not have to wonder about their motivations because one knows their aim is purely interested or a means of tempting a soul to escape its confines en route to perdition.

Human beings on the other hand cog, smile and deceive; they mask their viciousness and cloak their wickedness whilst plotting to stick the knives in and not be caught. The devils have no need of such pretensions and tell one plain as pikestaff that which they are after. One has told me directly that my habitual aloofness in matters of the Neath amuses him and he wonders whether I have any ethics at all and if I enjoy watching him at work with others. Humans, in contrast, lack this frankness and have a deplorable tendency to mock candour as they affect goodness while ensuring that they alone profit and others die a thousand times. These are the truly atrocious and vile creatures, not the devils But that is neither here nor there, I shall hear more of that which you say before I share my opinions.

Dear Isabelle,
Chess was highly invigorating for the mind, but let us walk outside and you might show me the skills of your imp. Your vision of the devils s most fascinating and interesting. During my investigations I worked for and befriended some of them, and, in a way, I must agree with you in that they are more open and easy to read than most humans. But I would rather define them as blatant than as honest.
But it is not them who originate my dilemma. Quite the opposite. So I will continue my story. As I said, I always held the Church and Its Light closest to my heart during my research. Until the very day I had to make the uneasy choice of following my conscience and confronting a high member of the Church Hierarchy or letting his most horrific sin go unpunished for personal safety and profit. And as I was always taught by my most noble parents, I did what I thought I had to do. That very day, the very same Church I had always secretly supported turned its back on me, and I was punished for my righteousness.

Since that day, I have been considering where to place my faith. Even though I mingle with bohemians, and many would consider me one of their kind, I see them as a fickle lot, unable of any deep convictions. Nobility is much the same, if not worse. Urchins and sailors are commendable people, but too undisciplined or focus for my liking. Criminals are out of the question. Those who strive for revolution might have noble goals, but I loath the violence of their methods. Tomb colonists and rubbery men are just too detached or alien. As of devils, I have already stated my opinion. What do you think of this conundrum? Where do you, if it is not too bold for me to ask, place your deepest faith and feelings? I can not express my gratitude for listening to me. Yours more sincerely than ever, John
[li]

He’s a surly creature, my imp, and while I do not know if he will do as he is bid for pure entertainment, he may come along if only for give our stroll some countenance. Blatancy is a term I would use on the people of the haute ton as they try to outdo each other and show off that which they have, but to each their own definition. Why should the corruption of a high ranking member of the Church surprise you? History has taught us that the papacy has a something of a tradition for it and it was even de rigueur for several centuries for Popes to have hoarded wealth, built magnificent palaces, and had mistresses and children whom they would place in positions of high office in various professions. It does not surprise me that there should be corruption in the Church even in London. Neither am I shocked that exposure of this corruption should be punished. Such is the way with any faction in power and favour. They believe in their infallibility and anyone who stands in their way is crushed because they will not have their existing power, privilege, wealth, advantage et cetera removed from them. It has been so in ancient times in the days of the Thirty Tyrants of Athens, during the tenure of the Roman Emperors, during the reign of Ptolemy Physcon, Henry VIII and more.

There is corruption in every walk of life. Indeed, such is life – the shadows are always juxtaposed against the light. We cannot avoid having shadows when there is light, n’est-ce pas? And without light and good, there will not be shadows or darkness. One cannot have one without the other. Since this is life, I find it fatiguing to take issue with it. The only difference is whether that degradation or corruption be large or slight, whether the acquisitive and self-interested personage is blatantly flaunting it or covering it up. Such deeds pervade every quarter of life, I am surprised you should take it to heart. Then again, I am jaded as most philosophers are because we are often part of le beau monde and yet apart from it. Knowing that such corruption, acquisitiveness and cupidity exists leaves one with two choices – do you chuse to play and be part of that way of life, or do you chuse to stand apart from it. I know it exists and I chuse not to play at it because I have no talent for it and cannot play at it and win. Furthermore, it is exhausting to bestir myself in backbiting because experience has taught me that regardless as to whether a person chooses to engage with the corruption (and so be one of them and then backstabbed when one is no longer “useful”) or to ignore the corruption by refusing to be dragged under its festering pus and have others backstab one and be cast out as a stupid being unable to adapt to the order/faction in the ascendant, that person will still be crushed, punished and derided by the prevailing order. You may think me reprehensibly jaded or horribly hardboiled, but there it is. Therefore I am instead a disinterested observer and I look on it with wry amusement. And do that which I believe is right in the circumstances.

It is best that I remain a dispassionate observer, for a scholar should be so; and my luck or fate or call it what you will is rather hard. My family knows me as a sorry creature bringing misfortune to myself, them and others close to me. Indeed, even if some task or venture be a sure thing, all I need do is to try it and it will fail repeatedly. Moreover in being an apathetic observer practicing the principle of video et taceo, people often assume I know nought or that I am facile, and I care not what they think. As far as I am concerned, I think they are merely espousing opinions that they believe in and thus practice. I can readily comprehend the stance of any faction and I neither approve nor disapprove of their ways, for it is not my place to cast judgement on others. You asked a deceptively simple question, to which there is no simple answer. I only believe in something when true opinion has transformed into knowledge. I cannot say any more than that, for there is no explanation beyond that. It is not the answer you seek and I am sorry for that. Only you can weigh the odds of that which is important to you and cleave it to you. I rather suspect it is different from everyone, despite the outward conformity to the Church, other religions, the political system, Science or acquisitiveness for the sake of self-advantage.

Dear Isabelle,
I was pondering about our conversation in my way home the other night, and then I went to sleep and had a strangely bizarre dream. And you were in it. I am not sure what it means, but I have the gut feeling that you also had the same dream, and there is something linking us.
Now, if I have your permission to be so forward, I would like to question your beliefs. I have to agree that the question I posed you the other night was deceptively simple. It was purposely deceitful, because my intention was to get to know your mind better, not to get advice for myself. Because I think I have actually found an answer to my moral dilemmas, but I will keep it to myself for a bit longer. So, if you were in agreement for me to present that challenge to your reasoning, I will do it during our next meeting. But I would also like to pose one more question for you. Some friends have told me that the Lady Lilac has been asking persons of importance their opinions on love and offering them special tattoos. Have you encountered her? What were your answers and what tattoo did you get?
[li]

Good Don Vazquez,
I had expected as much from your admission, for experience and observation have indicated people often know or think they know what they should do in a dilemma. They simply go around asking for others’ opinions because they want others to agree with them and thereby reassure themselves that they are in the right. If a person should tell them to their faces that they have already made their minds and already have an ideas to that which they want to do, they would accuse the person of cruelty, distemper, perversion, lack of sympathy et cetera.

Should a person tell them something contrary to their conceived notions, they will dismiss this person as narrow minded at worst or deem to this person to be unfamiliar with their “problem” and move on until they find someone who agrees with them. You can ask what you will, but I will chuse if I want to answer. I do not care to be pressed when I do not want to give my answer. I have no patience for impertinence, and I find some challenges so because they expect me to fall in with their own preconceived ideas of right or wrong. I am also weary and wary of those who think it is impossible to be able to see both sides of a given issue and want me to choose a side that they themselves have chosen. I can see both sides and whether I choose a side or no is no one business’s but my own, for I have reasons for acting and not acting. Some people do not respect that, and I have no patience with such people. I am also bored of people who insist that it is impossible to see the merits and disadvantages of any decision, and of people who claim that one faction must be chosen over another. These people often denigrate those who are opposed to them, but they save their worst cast aspersions for those who take the middle path and accept the views of the different sides without favouring any one. Such people bore me too.

The le Stranges came to England with Henry II; they have changed sides in the wars of the Roses; they changed their religion thrice during Tudor rule – all for their own reasons and because they could see both sides of the issue. People have looked askance at us for centuries, and it is nothing new to me. A tattoo or the lack of one is an intimate matter that I do even discuss with my maid. None of the options offered by the lady in lilac reflect my own view and I went with one that seemed the most just. I disagreed with her analysis that it is “romantic”. It was the only option that seemed fair and was devoid of acrid bitterness or mocking acerbity.

Yrs. &ca,
Isabelle Strange.

Dear Isabelle,
I believe you misunderstood me again. I am mostly to blame, because I have been deliberately obscure, but I am also surprised that a Lady that places such as high value in knowledge is able to make certain judgements while not being in possession of all the facts. When I asked for your opinion in certain issues, I was not seeking validation from you. As you well ascertained, my purpose is so deeply ingrained in my heart that no human opinion can affect it. But you erred when trying to guess my real intention. This was to find out if you were the right person to fulfill my heart´s desire with. Because, my dear Isabelle, I am ready to reveal you my true purpose, made clear to me not by any authority, but by my life experiences. This is no other than to find True Love, the light that brightens our hearts even in the darkest hour. I witnessed the power of such love when I visited the remote and beautiful land of Polythreme, and was granted an audience by the one they call The King With A Hundred Hearts.

The love of this inspiring figure has endured for millennia, throughout the falling of five cities and despite the most horrible of curses. It is not the kind of love that takes, but the one that gives. And since this encounter, I have been dreaming of falling in love in the same way. I imagined the Feast would be the time to find that kind of love, but I see now the errors of my ways. And in a certain manner, I have you to thank for it. For, even though it saddens me to realize that it was not the person I was longing for, I have realized than I am the only one to blame for trying to force this wonderful and spontaneous thing as is love upon both of us. Pray, do not take this as a slight, for it is not intended to be such. You are a more enlightened and wise Lady, and your ideas are highly stimulating for my mind. But it has been laid as obvious to my eyes that we are not the kind of pair to build a legendary love.

I apologize for writing these words in a cold letter instead of talking in person. A part of me is sad and has no desire to leave my lodgings but for to continue my research. I think we should have a respite in our meetings for a time. I will be soon heading into the Cave of Nadir for a few days. They say that place can change your very being, so I do not know how I will be and feel when I come back. But I am sure I will call on you and tell you the whole story, and if you accept me, we can resume our friendship. Until that day, stay safe and wise.
Yours sincerely, John
[li]

I apologise to have caused you pain, Don Vazquez. Experience has made me a little weary of humanity. And people, as you know, do have a way of being trying and my experience of them has been as I described to you. One after another, most are that way and it’s enough to either fatigue one or bore one. You are a romantic, my friend, but I am not one. It does not exist outside of books. While it is entertaining to read of a grand passion, it is not very practical. You want and need an all consuming passion that burns and inspires you to the beyond, do you not? Passionate adoration may be exciting, but it seems impractical and very blinding. My needs are more prosaic. I believe romantic love is a sedate affair; it is not built on blinding, heart stopping passion. A love that lasts is based on friendship, kindness, tolerance, patience, a commitment to the same goals and a shared sense of humour. Life with another person is not made up of moments of exaltation, but of quite ordinary, everyday things that are shared. If a love gradually grows out of friendship, then it seems more natural to me than a mad passion of wild adoration. That could so very easily lead to blighted love, which would be a nasty state of affairs for both parties. Moreover, wild adoration and overriding passion seem very alarming, and I would worry about any person putting themselves through such extremes.

On another note, I find it fascinating that you have been to Polythreme and have met the King there. And that such a meeting should shape your views on love. But fear not, I am not offended. Discussions where opposing views are espoused are bound to end as it has for us in our latest venture. In any case, I do hope that we remain friends, and I wish you much joy in seeking a lady whose passions and views of love match yours. Yrs. &ca, Isabelle Strange.

And so it ends this round of meetings. Eventually Yours Truly came back form the Cave of Nadir, resumed his friendship with Lady Strange and sold his allegiance to another power, forfeiting his pledges to the Church… but that is a story to be told some other day.

Just because one knows how the play is to end don’t make it any less engaging to watch. Much thanks to the both of you for letting us participate vicariously.