The long grind for success: change or not?

Good day one and all.
So couldn’t find a place to ask for opinions/give feedback for Fallen London, so this seemed the most correct one. Please move if such isn’t the case.

As many others I’m enjoying Fallen London, but I must say that the the grind is, as is always the case with such a mechanic, wearisome. I find no particular skill -of course, apart from the important one of patience- necessary in progressing through the story, and rather than finding something akin to the old storybooks, I find no need to engage my mind in anything but progressing to the next point -clearly things change/evolve and perma death for such a story which accumulates large amounts of progression is not a good idea, but more action/excitement would nevertheless be welcome: for example I just visited a certain person after returning from a certain boat ride, and the storylet info told me that lighting a match was bad etiquette. I would of then liked to have the option to that myself -why not? Such an option would of surely been available in the old storybooks.

That in itself is not terrible, as I find the writing of a most excellente quality, but I wonder: how do you peeps also find the journey? Would others like myself, be wanting to introduce some more variety to things -such as perhaps, a storylet that relies on various quick-fire actions and penalties rather than your stats?

Personally, I don’t mind it, since more actions would lead to a shorter story. When I can do heists and such instead of grinding, that aspect lessens as well.

Sorry for the ignorant question, but how dost one does heist?

And I don’t mean change everything to action-based, but instead something akin to a full storylet of yellow quality involving a multi-choice approach.

Heists are found in the Flit.

I think you would like some of the more random areas though. The Alleyways of Spite, Involved in a Case, or the Exclusive Party. Not sure on the different unlock levels though.

Yeah, some of the grinds can be dull. I do wish they’d add more 5-10 action methods for when all you want to do is accumulate Echoes.

[quote=reaperOscuro]Sorry for the ignorant question, but how dost one does heist?

And I don’t mean change everything to action-based, but instead something akin to a full storylet of yellow quality involving a multi-choice approach.[/quote]
More story options with menace areas you mean? Yeah, I wouldn’t mind that at all =P (Or do you mean storylets that change a lot and are devasting? There are a few of these, usually partially hidden in stories. They require more time to add, though)

Heists are experimental content in the Flit. It’s not for everyone’s style; but I like this ‘carousel’ type more than traditional Grind storylet X for Y times so you can progress. That being said, here are many carousel types - some don’t suit you at all, some hit hit the bullseye. Though I fear I might have misinterpret your question?

There’s a blog concerning carousels at http://about.failbettergames.com/2011/05/11/tree-river-city-lights-part-i/]this page[/url] if you’re interested. I can’t find the 2nd part, but that shouldn’t be too hard.

I did like the cases, but again they involved mainly grind -apart from when I had to choose which way to progress the case. As for the carousel style ones -I’m assuming like the pickpocket promenade, yea those are neat and make a change. Don’t think I’ve come across heists yet then Endy.

No you not too far off the mark Axillo -the menace areas could do with more story options -especially the wounds area, as outside the random cards I, at least at my low 30s Watchful, couldn’t really progress.

Lemme give you an example:

“You are about the meet the Graceful Widow. You are told not to light a candle, as it’s impolite”

options:

1. go into room, abide by rules -storylet branch from this (storylets from this a: speak gracefully b: speak arrogantly, etc.)
  2. go into room, light a match (storylets from this a: jump out of window b: grapple the widow c: speak to widow, etc.)
    Eventually consequence could be great reward, minor reward, great menace, minor menace, etc.
    But a yellow storylet which significantly takes out your stats -or uses em only to unlock said storylet. And that this storylet branches significantly and relies on your decisions, not on your grind.

[quote=reaperOscuro]I did like the cases, but again they involved mainly grind -apart from when I had to choose which way to progress the case. As for the carousel style ones -I’m assuming like the pickpocket promenade, yea those are neat and make a change. Don’t think I’ve come across heists yet then Endy.

No you not too far off the mark Axillo -the menace areas could do with more story options -especially the wounds area, as outside the random cards I, at least at my low 30s Watchful, couldn’t really progress.

Lemme give you an example:

“You are about the meet the Graceful Widow. You are told not to light a candle, as it’s impolite”

options:

1. go into room, abide by rules -storylet branch from this (storylets from this a: speak gracefully b: speak arrogantly, etc.)
  2. go into room, light a match (storylets from this a: jump out of window b: grapple the widow c: speak to widow, etc.)
    Eventually consequence could be great reward, minor reward, great menace, minor menace, etc.
    But a yellow storylet which significantly takes out your stats -or uses em only to unlock said storylet. And that this storylet branches significantly and relies on your decisions, not on your grind.[/quote]

Actually, the boat is the only way to increase The Boatman’s Opponent at higher levels of watchful. Think the 80+ range. Heists won’t be available before 80-90 shadowy. You’re currently in the start phase, which, admittedly might be a little lacking in this area - which is exactly why it’s important you give feedback :)
Things will change. Ambitions is another area that becomes more and more exciting as you progress. Which one are you at?

I’m on Nemesis -but of course cannot yet access Forbidden Quarter since it’s, well, rather forbidding for me at the moment -although lol each time managed to get there via other opportunities failed at the hurdle if you get what I mean. And if you don’t, no probs :D

And upon reflection there is kinda what I’m talking about -like when a storylet asks to make multiple choices, and your stats influence whether you make it or not. That’s cool.

I just think that perhaps experimentally, a full yellow storylet revolving solely around multiple choices -with stats either influencing whether the multi-choice outcome will be positive or negative, or influencing whether specific decisions can be made at all.

Basically, a more involved and branching multi-choice thingimabob.

But hey that’s my thoughts -not quite secrets, more Creative Notions :P

Nemesis, you say? Then I can’t give you any spoilers, since I’m doing HD…

Another thing which has A LOT of options which isn’t really game-changing is the opening storylet of the House of Chimes. Just check out the blog article here.

The problem with storylets with many, gamechanging options is that they take ages to build. Though I understand they’re wanted =P
edited by Aximillio on 3/30/2013

Haha yea, i dids like all the flavour opening options for house of chimes -although lol could only use the persuasive one for now :P

Although I stress that I mean more branching than options -like, one options leading to another two/three, which branch to another two/three/four, then to another -like a chain, dig? Like the old storybooks.

But if ya’ll already know they wanted, then alls groovy, just wanted to see what pebbles were thrown in the water :)

[quote=reaperOscuro]
Although I stress that I mean more branching than options -like, one options leading to another two/three, which branch to another two/three/four, then to another -like a chain, dig? Like the old storybooks.

But if ya’ll already know they wanted, then alls groovy, just wanted to see what pebbles were thrown in the water :)[/quote]

Well, with Fallen London being able to use abilities on StoryNexus, option chains become available. An example on chains is the Lilac Card from the Feast. The problem with them is if you click perhaps not you’ll jump out of the link and will have to restart.

All in all, I guess Fallen London is less linear than most make your own adventure- games, which leads to more options and less pressure on one single action. I guess this has both cons and pros, then…

Slightly off-thread (I thought about putting it in the ‘accompishments’ or even ‘good fortune’ threads… anyway). I’ve been playing for a little under 4 months, have just gone through the PoSI process… and suddenly there are a ton of new stories, so that I rue every missed potential action. At least up to now, there has not been a point where it ever seemed too grindy (yes, I expect that’s going to change with the need for more money at some stage…); it’s just been fabulous fun.

So this is really just a slightly sucking-up message of thanks to Alexis and the crew :) - but I figure that they hear enough gripes, it might be nice to get random praise once in a while also.