The Library of Nothing

The Library of Nothing
Home Comfort
The Impossible are here. All of it is highly scandalous or nightmarish. Bring no candles, please.
Watchful +100
Shadowy +35
Dreaded +7

How to obtain:

Compile them.(inventory use of Impossible Theorems)
-Requires 777 Impossible Theorems.
-Requires 1554 Searing Enigmas.
-Requires London’s Nerves
-Requires 300 Watchful
You have collected all of them. You have fed the turbine many times. Now, you must archive them.
CHALLENGE: Watchful 600
Success
You did it!
&quotThe Theorems have found their proper place. One theorem has a Name on it. 50 others make up a complete map of Parabola. You have a library, now.&quot
You no longer have any of this: Impossible Theorem
You no longer have any of this: Searing Enigma
You now have 1* The Library of Nothing
Failure
&quotOh. Oh no. Dear God. Oh God No. Nrub lliw I dna THRON og lliw I yademos…&quot
You no longer have any of this: Searing Enigma
You’ve lost 1 Impossible Theorem.
Nightmares is increasing…(+15 CP)
Wounds is increasing…(+15 CP)
Scandal is increasing…(+15 CP)

Anyone who visits this thread may make content involving this item.

I think people don’t agree because it lacks basic math.
Or you wanted to post this in Mr Pages’ Fabularities?

Crud! Posted at Bazaar instead.
Whatever. There would be gameplay effects as well, just not real ones. However, I should probably post this in Fabularities, with a link to this thread.

[quote=Sir Wensleydale of Hardwick]There would be gameplay effects as well, just not real ones.[/quote]Effects which &quotcost&quot almost 40k SE which is close to 2.5 mil E. :) Using the Court means you need about 1.1 mil AP; somewhere around 21 years.

Yes. Cutting the numbers tenfold, that would be ultimate existing gring level :) as it is, it’s sort of impossible.

Which means that if the Ravens are correct, this would be literally impossible to attain, as they say Paris may fall in 11 years.
Happy grinding!

I almost called it the impossible library due to the influx of theorems.

For more mathematical context, the cost of failure is fairly absurd. For a broad Watchful challenge of 600, the maximum current Watchful of 327 would only give a 32% chance of success. The sum total of Searing Enigmas lost, assuming one has precisely the amount needed for this challenge, is nearly 100,000 Echoes, which is nearly a year’s worth of the Court of the Wakeful Eye. For comparison, the Majestic Pleasure Yacht has a 30% luck challenge and is considered brutally painful. For a Watchful challenge, this can be alleviated with Sudden Insights, but most sources of second chances cap at 21, meaning that a player only has five chances to fail. With a 32% success rate, this still means that around 10% of maximum Watchful players will fail this challenge after doing everything they possibly can, consequently losing at least a year’s worth of grinding. As a result, only those who chose the Watchful benefactor would be able to pursue this year-round; everyone else would be limited to only trying this challenge during Neathmas to avoid losing such an absurd amount of wealth.

That being said, I rather like the idea, though I think it’s a bit too focused on this idea of the NORTH and Seeking. There are so many more enigmas in the Neath, the High Wilderness, and Parabola, and nothing about Impossible Theorems really ties into Seeking. Nevertheless, such an archive would be a good parallel to the ruined library in Eleutheria - an archive of all that is outside the Judgements’ light, rather than what once was. Such an idea would be quite befitting of a capstone celebrating one’s achievements rather than costing them (though, of course, this would make such a library more cosmetic like Courier’s Footprint and the Heptagoat as opposed to useful like an Ubergoat or the Cider).

By the comments, I’m assuming this thing doesn’t actually exist in-game.

Having said that, I’m inclined to agree with Azothi. If you spent AN ENTIRE YEAR grinding the materials using the most optimal methods, only to fail because of RNG? That would sound like a really effective way to make long-time players completely abandon Fallen London, tbh. :-/

SMEN does this kind of stuff.

The failure result should just redirect you to the Avid Horizon, given how you’d be feeling after losing over 12 months of grind to RNG.

When “Oh. Oh no. Dear God. Oh God No. Nrub lliw I dna THRON og lliw I yademos“ is reflected, as it should be in Parabola, it becomes (sans certain bits): “someday I will go NORTH… doG reaD. no hO. hO.”

Thus, I postulate this library is curated by a Parabolan dog, or a paradog, if you will. I believe paradog would be sad you might abandon a dog by going North, but they’re still supportive of your life choices, and more importantly, you.

[quote=Ixc]When “Oh. Oh no. Dear God. Oh God No. Nrub lliw I dna THRON og lliw I yademos“ is reflected, as it should be in Parabola, it becomes (sans certain bits): “someday I will go NORTH… doG reaD. no hO. hO.”

Thus, I postulate this library is curated by a Parabolan dog, or a paradog, if you will. I believe paradog would be sad you might abandon a dog by going North, but they’re still supportive of your life choices, and more importantly, you.[/quote]

Creator’s Headcanon!